• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Yamaha 212x Surfing Setup

landlockedpirate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I wrote this doc to describe how I set up my 212x for surfing. I have since sold the boat, but maybe it will be helpful to others.

Link

Big thank you to this community. While I owned the boat, this community was invaluable.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@landlockedpirate - I took the liberty of copy/pasting your content below (as often people later delete their linked content and we lose it). If you don't want me to copy it here, I will delete it, but this is good info I'd hate to lose!

Components Used

• Built in Ballast, 750lbs (375/side)
  • Gantlin Wake Wedge
  • Fat Sac for 21’ Yamaha Boats
  • Fat Sac for Ski Locker (750lbs)
  • PerfectPass or Hydrophase.

Wedge Setup
  1. Install the wake wedge on the boat before launch, it’s easier on the trailer.
  2. Wake wedge angle should “kiss” the top of the jet. Use a broomstick to simulate the jet, turn turnbuckle down until when play is flexed upward, wedge just touches the jet.
  3. Don’t worry too much about the wedge angle, close is good enough. Changing ballast has WAY more effect on wave
  4. If you turn the wedge down too much it will generate spray
  5. If you turn the wedge up too much the wave face will be dirty & soft.

Ballast Setup

Ballast setup varies by the weight of your crew and how big, how steep you want the wave.

Tiny Wave (beginners learning to just get up on the board. Will NOT be able to go ropeless)Small Wave (kids)“The” Yamaha Wave (adults)
Small Crew (<4 adults)Stock Ballast OnlyStock Ballast Empty.
Locker Bag in the bow, pushed all the way forward. 100% full. Swim Platform Bag 100% Full.
Stock Ballast Full.
Locker Bag in the bow, pushed all the way forward, 100% Full. Swim Platform Bag Full.
Medium Crew( 4-6 adults)Stock Ballast OnlyStock Ballast Empty.
Locker Bag in Locker, as full as possible. Swim Platform Bag Full. 2 adults in Bow.
Stock Ballast Full.
Locker Bag in Locker, as full as possible. Swim Platform Bag Full. 2 adults in Bow
Large CrewNothing or Stock Ballast OnlyStock Ballast Empty.
Locker Bag in Locker, as full as possible. Swim Platform Bag Full. 2 adults in Bow. Spread adults Evenly.
Stock Ballast Full, if engines can still hit 10.5. If engines struggle, drain stock ballast.
Locker Bag in Locker, as full as possible. Swim Platform Bag Full. 2 adults in Bow

Speed: 10.5mph. Yes, I’m sure. Yes I have experimented ad nauseum with other speeds. 10.5. Yes you need a perfectpass or hydrophase, you are not as good at the throttle as a computer.

General Notes:

If the bow rises too much, and if engines are struggling to hit 10.5, it means you are likely too light in the bow. You should be surfing right above 6k rpm.

The higher the bow points, the steeper and shorter the wave will be. In general I find the best surfing to be when I can go with or without the bolster, but I am also tall. If the driver finds themself needing to stand, your bow is likely way too high.

When starting, start your surfers off to the side, being hit directly with the jet will make novices struggle to get up. The board should remain perpendicular to the direction the boat is going, otherwise it will have a tendency to drag them to the side and fall over. A quick turn once they are up can help them get “around” the wave to the front. Helpful especially for kids.

Once your surfer is getting up reliably, focus on getting the toes toward the towside edge of the board and pressuring the toeside edge into the wave. Pressure should be on the front toes. A lot of people lean forward at the hips and stick their butt out back, this just causes the weight to actually be on the back foot. If they are pressuring correctly, the front foot is the “gas”, the back foot is the “brake”. Behind a yamaha, the bigger you are the more gas you need.

When running with a heavy crew, be conscious of your RPMs. If you find yourself going much over 6k you probably ought to drain the stock ballast. The boat can’t really handle 8 adults +2200lbs of water.

To Set up the swim platform I will start by filling with air. Tie a line from the corner cleat, through bag eyes, through tubing tow point, back through high bag eyes, around cleat, then back across the bag. I like to tie a bowline about 1’ from the tubing eye, go through the tubing eye, ratchet down, tie. Bonus points if you know a truckers hitch.

The swim platform bag needs to be CRAZY FIRM. You may need to assist rocking the bag to get wrinkles out and allow it to fill 100%. If it is not 100% it sloshes around and is a pain.

The list of the boat should be noticeable but not extreme. You do not want your entire crew on the same side as the surfer. Spread your crew around relatively evenly left/right if you can. When you list the boat too far, you get a really “hard corner” from the outside edge of the boat in the wave. For the surfer this is like tripping over a brick. It is very easy to catch the nose of the board on it and it’s over.

When your surfer falls, keep wheel straight,, reduce throttle quickly but not instantly, all the way to 0. Turn the wheel hard over, and give it a few seconds of throttle, basically you’re doing an in-place 180. Once pointed back to them, throttle up and retrieve. This is the best way to 1) avoid killing yourself with your own wave, 2) avoid sending a massive wave across the lake potentially wrecking your next set or someone elses, and 3) get back to them as quickly as possible. Note, this maneuver may be more difficult with steering “enhancements”. .