• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 242 Limited S Swamped - Plugs Pulled - No Crank - Only 1 Click

Orojet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A bad day out - forgot to tighten drain plug like an idiot - drain plug was gone when I figured it out - made my own plug out of a paper towel inside of a ziplock bag - no early water warning alarm - water half way up the engine! Noticed when the swim deck was under water - wow, that was fast.

One engine starts with engine code of normal spn 0 which I need to figure out how to clear.

Second engine won’t crank. One click only…

Tested Batteries
Pulled plugs
Let air filter dry out
Fuses
Checked for impeller blockage - Should this spin freely with plugs out or be very difficult to spin?

Can’t find starter relay to try that…

I see some drops of water in first cylinder but it won’t crank - it only clicks once.

Will insurance come through for a boneheaded accident if needed?

Last edited:
Others will chime in im sure but I'd be disconnecting all the electrical connections and blowing them dry.

Did the ECUs get submerged?
Is it out if the water now?
Impeller will be hard to turn with plugs out, but not impossible (with plugs in)
If you have water in either engine you want it out within 24 hours ideally.

Others will chime in im sure but I'd be disconnecting all the electrical connections and blowing them dry.

Did the ECUs get submerged?
Is it out if the water now?
Impeller will be hard to turn with plugs out, but not impossible (with plugs in)
If you have water in either engine you want it out within 24 hours ideally.

It was an intense situation and can’t remember if ecu was under water - it’s possible.

Out of the water and had some days to dry out. Air filter dry, plugs pulled but can’t crank to get water out of the first plug. Looks like only a drop in there.

Boat mechanics are booked weeks out. They basically said pull the plugs. But would really like to fix before my appointment on the 18th. Seems like a long time but the other Yamaha mechanic was over a month out.

Checked oil - not milky

No water in the oil is a good sign. Is there a way to feed power directly to the starter just to get the motor to spin and blow out any moisture that could be in the cylinders

Not sure how to do that - starter access is not very easy with dual engines. I did have someone take a rubber mallet and hit the starter while I hit the ignition. It didn’t do anything.

You can open the ECU box to check for water and verify the starter Relay is working correctly. If no crank with relay bypassed, it could be the starter did not like being submerged.

I’ll try that this week and report back.

So what was the problem? I’m having similar issues

Yea, I replaced the metal bracket that houses the drain plug and also where the steering fin is. I didn’t seal it back correctly and was taking on water slowly. I didn’t notice until the oil filters were almost submerged. Dunno why my bilge didn’t kick on automatically but didn’t. I had to turn on. No water in the engine at all as far as I can see. Just replaced starter. Still, “click click click click”

Yea, I replaced the metal bracket that houses the drain plug and also where the steering fin is. I didn’t seal it back correctly and was taking on water slowly. I didn’t notice until the oil filters were almost submerged. Dunno why my bilge didn’t kick on automatically but didn’t. I had to turn on. No water in the engine at all as far as I can see. Just replaced starter. Still, “click click click click”

Your engine bay filled with water ?

How did it happen ?

I was wondering what happened to the @Orojet as well

Do you know the best way to turn the crank by hand?

Remove the spark plugs get under the boat reach up into the jet pump water intake grab the shaft and rotate it.

If the spark plugs are out of the engine, Get under the boat, remove the intake grate, find a box wench that will fit on the flat parts of the shaft or use a monkey wrench if you cannot turn the shaft by hand.

Back