• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 SX192 engine over temp warning

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hi guys!

So yesterday I was having a blast on my boat. I was about to leave the island where I was parked and instead of making sure it was deep enough I pushed the boat just about to where it was floating. Well, the bottom of the boat was rubbing somewhat on the sand and decided I was going to be lazy so I gave it some throttle to push through :(

Made it out but shortly after got an engine over temp warning.

Shut it off, cooled it down and headed back to where I was parked to begin with in wake mode. Over temp AGAIN. Shut off and cooled down again. Checked for debris on the impeller but none. Headed to the island again where we hung out for some more time.

Im confused, there was water coming out of the two nozzles while the over temp was popping up. That gave me some relief because its an indication that water is flowing through the engine.

However, to not risk damage we embarked on a 3.5hr return trip on wake mode the whole time with no overtemp warnings.

I was doing some research and apparently my cooling system is not getting enough water due to cavitation?

When we were about 100 yards from the ramp I decided to wot in circles and random stuff for about 15 minutes. Never got an overtemp again but did notice rpms were waaay higher but the boat not moving as much as before the incident.

Well, I disassembled the jet pump and this is what my impeller looks like:

Do I need a new Rival dynafly 14/21 impeller and a Rival stainless steel wear ring?

IMG_20150829_125026.jpg IMG_20150829_125106.jpg IMG_20150829_125048.jpg IMG_20150829_125118.jpg

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, It definitely going to have to be fixed up. Im sure one of the 192 guys will jump in with specifics

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow you must have sucked up some serious rocks. Did you hear them? You can probably get that repaired (the impeller) but not sure about the wear ring as you don't have photos of it. Did you continue to get over temp warnings all the way home? That damage will cause some cavitation, but not sure it would be enough to impair your cooling. When you did go WOT, did you reach your normal top speed? Did the pump act like it was cavitating (high RPM with low thrust)?

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Wow you must have sucked up some serious rocks. Did you hear them? You can probably get that repaired (the impeller) but not sure about the wear ring as you don't have photos of it. Did you continue to get over temp warnings all the way home? That damage will cause some cavitation, but not sure it would be enough to impair your cooling. When you did go WOT, did you reach your normal top speed? Did the pump act like it was cavitating (high RPM with low thrust)?

On the way home I did not get any over temp warnings....thank God for that. Whatever sand I sucked up got flushed out.

When I gunned it we thought at first that there was something wrong with my speedometer because we heard the engine reving high but not accelerating quickly. It also felt like the engine would rev a lot faster than usual with no movement. So I presume I was experiencing cavitation.

No, I did not check if it would reach its top speed.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Impros can repair that impeller for around $70 I think.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length