• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 203 vr will not go past 3mph.

bigrook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hi everyone, i took the kids tubbing today, and in the middle of the run i slowed down to collect one of them after falling. I put the boat in neutral, and after that, when i went back to put it in drive, the engine would not get out of the idle range. It moves forward and reverse at idle speed, but it will not go past 1800 rpms.
Any guess as to what could cause this. There are no active codes listed, and nothing unusual on the gauges. Boat has 47 hours.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is a total guess, since I have only owned SeaDoo and Yamaha. But a single motion throttle control should have two controls internally. One for the reverse bucket and one for the throttle. Your reverse bucket seems fine as it goes from forward to reverse. But my guess is you broke a throttle cable as they should be independent of the reverse bucket.

Time to troubleshoot the throttle cable from the handle back. If they are open in the engine bay, like other boats, check to be sure they are moving when someone cycles the throttle. I'm 90% sure they are not as that's the only reason your engines would not come off idle.

Good luck, Sorry I'm not more help.

bigrook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thank you for the input. I hadn't even considered a broken cable. will try and check that next.:thumbsup:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If your boat is throttle by wire, then that throws that whole theory out.

In my Seadoo, there was a throttle stick and a shift stick. In the pre-2015 Yamahas, there were two sticks, but one for each engine. Move the stick forward or reverse throttled the engine up and moved the bucket with two separate cables of course. My guess is yours is similar.

Looking at a service manual or parts break down should show you where that throttle cable lives and attaches on both ends. It may be as simple as the connection on one end or the other came loose.

bigrook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
not sure if it is by wire, and it is a single throttle. i am about to do a quick check next but it's going to the dealer, today. Thank you again.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Check your supercharger hose. Ours popped off and we could only go less than 5mph. We did hear it pop off, it was pretty loud. Did not know what it was at first. Good luck!

bigrook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thank you for the heads up Steve. I am picking it up tomorrow morning and will update for future reference.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Assuming they figured it out:)

pawleyboy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Might want to check the screw that holds the throttle wire. I have a brand new 203 VRX and many problems with it. One was a screw that holds the throttle wire was not tightened properly and fell off. Service guy found it out it back in and throttle worked fine. Numerous other issues with boat including ereverse error that dealer can’t seem to fix.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
3E692013-A8B5-4EF2-ABCD-8482A009E994.jpeg Good point on the throttle wire. Our came loose as well. Fortunately I figured it out before taking it anywhere.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bigrook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
the throttle cable was disconnected. They fixed it and charged me a cool $190. 1.5 hours of labor. Apparently, the gate needed some adjustment. Funny, but now it went from an almost perfect neutral to one that has pretty decent forward motion.
Overall, i am happy with the boat. it just sucks that good mechanics are hard to come by.
Thank you for the picture, i wish i saw it before seeing the dealer

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
In addition to this site, there is a Chaparral Facebook site, as well as a Chaparral Vortex Facebook site. I joined both of those and when ever I have a question or any issues, I ask there first. There is a wealth of knowledge out there and they have saved me a few trips to the shop and saved me a few bucks.

bigrook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thank you again! I have yet to join the social media revolution, but it is inevitable!