• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242x overheat alarm

florchak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice tip on settings. We are getting some where as I am in the Settings and see all the codes.

looks like I have a YDIS Code 1 error as it says now how do I reset it as it isn't resetting by itself.

Port Engine:
Warning: 0cC1
Check Engine: 0B01
Over Temperature: ob00
Low oil Pressure: 0B00
YDIS Code: 1
OBDS Code SPN0

Now how do I reset it. Boat is running fine

Gary Tait

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great, you found it - that was the same code I was getting. It was trial and error for me on the code reset. I spent weeks combing the net for information and keep coming across the 3 start/stop cycles. Low and behold, it worked for me. Make sure you off the batteries and give the ECU time to reset between each attempt. Essentially, pretend as though you are making 3 separate outings - at least do whatever you would normally do to convince the boat that is exactly what you are doing. Worked like a charm for me and I was RELIEVED to say the least. Good luck sir.

florchak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
hmmmm....I will go try that again. Did yours have a Low oil Pressure alarm as well as overheat alarm?

florchak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you for your help, I am getting closer but did not work. Here is what I did in case you see something wrong.

Treated like 3 separate trip.

1. Put boat in water
2. Turned on both red power switches, yellow emergency switch set to off
3. Inserted key and turned to on
4. Started both motors made sure water coming from pee holes. Alarm right away about Port motor. I hit next or Reset on the alarm but nothing happens.
5. Shut motors down
6. Turned off 2 red switches
7. Waited 2 min between cycles and started this again.
8. Repeated this 5 times in a row over about 20 min period.

No luck, still have same alarm. Any other ideas I hope???

Found the CanDo Pro system that looks like you can go into ECU and reset

Or the $1000 Riva X system that does tunes and such.

Or get to dealer which is about impossible.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for your help, I am getting closer but did not work. Here is what I did in case you see something wrong.

Treated like 3 separate trip.

1. Put boat in water
2. Turned on both red power switches, yellow emergency switch set to off
3. Inserted key and turned to on
4. Started both motors made sure water coming from pee holes. Alarm right away about Port motor. I hit next or Reset on the alarm but nothing happens.
5. Shut motors down
6. Turned off 2 red switches
7. Waited 2 min between cycles and started this again.
8. Repeated this 5 times in a row over about 20 min period.

No luck, still have same alarm. Any other ideas I hope???

Found the CanDo Pro system that looks like you can go into ECU and reset

Or the $1000 Riva X system that does tunes and such.

Or get to dealer which is about impossible.
The MaptunerX does clear those pesky codes without erasing history and hours, so it is a great system.
But it is pricey and the benefits of a reflash are limited in N/A engines. It does improve the throttle response, which is great.

Gary Tait

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There may be a run-time timeout or temperature threshold that is not being met. I went out at least once between trying the 3 start/stop cycles - it's possible that the engines didn't run long enough to reach operating temperature before being shut off. My cycles were fairly long and I only started and stopped the port engine through 3 cycles - didn't bother with starboard since there was no code.

Overheat was the only code I had - no low oil pressure. The additional code may be complicating your reset as well.

I also looked into purchasing the CanDo system, which is about what a trip to the dealer would cost me.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
florchak you can reset the code with 3 good/normal start and stop cycles. Yes the dealer could clear the code for you, but I was successful clearing it myself. I did it while flushing at the house. The final cycle will still alarm, but the code will clear right away. You can verify it cleared by pulling up the system menu. Good luck amigo.
Added this to the FAQ!

Some find it takes 5 for it to work.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just posting my recent (long winded scenario).

Experienced an overheat alarm on my port engine just the other day (Fri 7/9). Was approaching the ramp dock in a breezy north wind and wound up having to back away to readjust the approach.. Heard a clunk when I reversed with medium throttle and within a min or so got the overheat on port and found no water coming out of that pisser/bypass. Shut down the engine (within 30s) after securing to the dock. Retrieved and pulled back a mile to the marina. Found the culprit to be a piece of 2x4 lodged in the impeller.

Cleared both tunnels and hooked up the hose to the port engine and ran it for a min or so and the overheat warning cleared, but the check engine remained. Shut down and ran the stbd engine on the hose with no issue. Turned key off. Waited a few mins while inspecting impellers. Turned key on and ran port on the hose again for a min or so. No further overheat and check engine remained on. Shut down and turned key off.

At this point, two starts and shutdowns for the port engine after clearing the blockage. Batteries were left on.

Covered up and drove home to check the forum to find this thread and the engine codes thread.

Realized I had left the batts on, and returned to the marina about an hour later to try what I found here.

Turned batts off for about a min.
Connected hose to port flush fitting.
Turned on batts and turned on key. Started port engine.
Check engine warning was still there, but by the time I turned on the water (~5s after starting engine), and turned back to the console, the check engine warning had cleared!
Shut off water and then the engine. Shut off key and battery. Turned all back on and no more warning light. Ran engine on hose for a couple mins and no issues.

So for me it seemed to be 3 cycles, and I only turned off the batteries for a couple minutes before the third cycle, after which the check engine code cleared. 2019 242 LSE with v39 Connext (engine hours sync fix).

Ran out on the water the following day (Sat 7/10) and water flow was normal with no further issues.

As always, great info on the site that saved the day for a beautiful Saturday on the water!

The culprit - 2x4 chunk
Screenshot_20210710-235039_Gallery.jpg

Pic showing port engine with warning and check engine codes set. After those cleared, the values returned to 0xC0 and 0b00 respectively.
Screenshot_20210710-235712_Gallery.jpg