• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Charleston Pinopolis Lock Cooper River Run/ Hilton Head Gathering 5/12 and 5/13 2018

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you book the Marriott or the Courtyard on the 11th? The Courtyard doesn't have sufficient parking for a vehicle and trailer.
Ya, I did the Courtyard. Good catch. I'll move to the Marriott we stayed at last year. THANKS!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya, I did the Courtyard. Good catch. I'll move to the Marriott we stayed at last year. THANKS!
If you want to stay closer to the Launch point you can check out the hotels in Santee SC which is right off I95 and about 20-30 min from Hills Landing this would reduce your drive time versus going in Charleston. You will find nicer options in Summerville but will add an hour drive probably and about a 45-50 minute drive to the launch site in the morning but its closer then downtown Charleston is to the launch.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK I updated to the Charleston Marriott the 11th then Hilton Head the 12 and I'll stay somewhere the 13th on the way home.

Put me on the BOOKED list! see you guys soon.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Robert, I was looking at Navionics for the Charleston to Hilton Head run. Looks like a good open water section. How are the conditions there traditionally? (remember I'll be in my SX190) I'm not worried about fuel as I'll bring 1 or 2 5 gallon cans.

Or do you avoid the open water section somehow?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Robert, I was looking at Navionics for the Charleston to Hilton Head run. Looks like a good open water section. How are the conditions there traditionally? (remember I'll be in my SX190) I'm not worried about fuel as I'll bring 1 or 2 5 gallon cans.

Or do you avoid the open water section somehow?
The ICW does avoid most of the big we do not go in the actual ocean at any point. The problem is there are several spot where large bodies of water merge and yes it can be rough sometimes. It will depend a lot on the winds that day if its less then 10 mph it should be smooth sailing if it is higher then that it could get bumpy. I don't expect it to be dangerous but it could be 1-2 ft tight chop which makes for an uncomfortable ride in a smaller boat. Port Royal Sound, Saint Helena sound and the last part of the Edisto River would be the areas of concern. If we do hit rough water just move all passengers behind the windshield and try and keep the heavy items such as coolers back there as well. I do not expect up to hit 3-4ft waters or anything like that though unless the weather is really rough but in that case I have feeling we may not be going to Hilton Head any ways. I would compare these areas to Winyah Bay which I think you were in during your visit to Myrtle it can be flat as a lake or 2-3 ft at 2-3 seconds if the winds are up and blowing the right direction.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The ICW does avoid most of the big we do not go in the actual ocean at any point. The problem is there are several spot where large bodies of water merge and yes it can be rough sometimes. It will depend a lot on the winds that day if its less then 10 mph it should be smooth sailing if it is higher then that it could get bumpy. I don't expect it to be dangerous but it could be 1-2 ft tight chop which makes for an uncomfortable ride in a smaller boat. Port Royal Sound, Saint Helena sound and the last part of the Edisto River would be the areas of concern. If we do hit rough water just move all passengers behind the windshield and try and keep the heavy items such as coolers back there as well. I do not expect up to hit 3-4ft waters or anything like that though unless the weather is really rough but in that case I have feeling we may not be going to Hilton Head any ways. I would compare these areas to Winyah Bay which I think you were in during your visit to Myrtle it can be flat as a lake or 2-3 ft at 2-3 seconds if the winds are up and blowing the right direction.
good info. do you have a navionics route you can send me?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good info. do you have a navionics route you can send me?
Well here you go it takes three screen shots to grab it as there are two many way points. I started where we enter the waterway in Charleston and ended at Hilton Head but not the marina it's a few miles more to there..

image.png image.png image.png

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on this those doing the Lake through the lock down to Charleston and then on to Hilton Head you are probably looking at about 160 miles each way. Its probably about 68 miles from the launch point to Charleston then about another 92 miles to the Marina in Hilton Head as a guess.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or if we get just perfect weather we can cut 20 miles off the trip

image.png

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Or if we get just perfect weather we can cut 20 miles off the trip

View attachment 68247
Even if both going and coming are perfect weather, I will be taking the intercoastal waterway at least on one of the directions. To me taking the ocean route is like driving on the Interstate system, gets you there fast but not much to see whereas taking the intercoastal waterway is like taking the state highways, a little slower but plenty to see.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I told one of my neighbors who has a 242 about this trip and the site. His family will likely come along. At this point it looks like we will depart Chapin in the early am Saturday and go straight to Santee to drop in.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I told one of my neighbors who has a 242 about this trip and the site. His family will likely come along. At this point it looks like we will depart Chapin in the early am Saturday and go straight to Santee to drop in.
That is my plan too. We will probably see each other on the way.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is anyone from Florida going on this run?
Not as of yet but you are more than welcome to join us. It is just a little over 6 hours to drive to either starting point; for the lock/river run or starting in Charleston.

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I was looking at that on the GPS I will sit down with my girlfriend this weekend and see if we would like to join you guys for the Run cuz we're also putting together the run for June to Bimini with you guys. Thanks for the invite. Will let you know soon.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes I was looking at that on the GPS I will sit down with my girlfriend this weekend and see if we would like to join you guys for the Run cuz we're also putting together the run for June to Bimini with you guys. Thanks for the invite. Will let you know soon.
As you have probably figured out, a lot of us doing the Charleston to Hilton Head run are also doing the June Bimini trip. This could be a good test for the Bimini trip to see how you deal with consistently boating for extended periods of time and possibly dealing with some rough water.

Last edited:

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah that's what I was thinking that makes sense what would the expenses be more or less since you guys did this already for two people maybe three two adults and one child?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah that's what I was thinking that makes sense what would the expenses be more or less since you guys did this already for two people maybe three two adults and one child?
Here is rough guesstimation.

Full trip, include lock and river
160 miles each way, for 320 miles round trip plus running around mileage, total mileage 350 miles. You get about 2 mpg, so you will burn 175 gallons. Assuming your tank is full when you get to the launch spot, you will have to buy 125 gallons at marina prices probably around $4.25 which makes the fuel cost at $531.25.
Lodging in Hilton Head will cost you for about $300 for your full crew.
Marina slips will run you $90

So not including traveling to and from South Carolina and food/drinks your cost is about $921.25.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even if both going and coming are perfect weather, I will be taking the intercoastal waterway at least on one of the directions. To me taking the ocean route is like driving on the Interstate system, gets you there fast but not much to see whereas taking the intercoastal waterway is like taking the state highways, a little slower but plenty to see.
I definitely agree with you Andy. I think the intercoastal from Charleston to Hilton offers so much. You have narrow parts similar to the run from Mrytle to Charleston, but then you have larger open bodies of water you get to cross as well. I think a stop in Beaufort for fuel/food is just about the perfect distance and I believe all the ladies will really enjoy Beaufort. @JROD and I had lunch there on the way down and I pretty sure everyone we were with really enjoyed it. I'll be interested to get your opinion when the trip is over as I think I personally like the Charleston to Hilton run a little better then I do the run up to the lock. Of course they're all fantastic but it's just a little different.