• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Charleston Pinopolis Lock Cooper River Run/ Hilton Head Gathering 5/12 and 5/13 2018

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, I am excited @robert843 and it would be good to see you both (loving the YDS @Andy S...lifesaver). My Navionics is three years old now but when I ran the Cooper with the group for the first time, the main channel was often 30’ deep at that time. You definitely want to stay in the marked channel. After briefly stopping in a wide open area for boats to catch up I started back up on the wrong heading and quickly found us in 3 feet as we crossed back into the channel. The whole river was on my lakes version but Charleston Harbor was not detailed. If we do get brave and do the Hilton Head section, there is no way I would do it without buying the coastal charts.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This looks awesome. I am in so long as the dates work, but I have locked this on my calendar.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@robert843 and @Andy S This trip looks like a blast! However Diana and I will be towing the boat down to Destin FL May 6th threw 13th. I will be bummed to miss this run! But on the other hand looking forward to exploring the Gulf a bit.Her parents are picking up a second home there. As always thanks for doing the hard work for all of us and organizing these trips! Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas.. Happy New Years!

Wesley D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just let me know where and when I need to make reservations. I think we will b staying in Charleston Thursday night and heading up to the launch Friday night so we can do the whole trip weather depending. My boat doesn’t have the same dead rise as you guys and can get a little rough. Thanks Wes

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Happy New Year to all and hope for a prosperous year for everyone!! That will be an awesome trip planned. Unfortunately, we will not be able to make this trip this year. UNC Chapel Hill graduation is that weekend and my daughter graduates with her Nursing degree. Family in town and ceremonies on both Saturday and Sunday kind of plug up the weekend for me. Saturday night I will be sitting in the Dean Dome watching the festivities, while you are all having a beer in Hilton Head. I will be looking to join another gathering (or two) as it has been a while.

Now go eat some greens and black eyed peas!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My family is leaning towards doing the shorter trip staying in Charleston and forgoing the Hilton Head portion. My brother’s mother in law lives in Santee on the north side of Lake Marion a bit east of the 95 bridge, so we may drop the boats in Friday night and say at her house with our boats at her dock and meet up with everyone Saturday morning at Hills Landing.

I have read the the Mariott is the norm for staying the night Saturday in Charleston but has anyone considered the the harbor resort and marina? I may try giving them a call this week to see if a group rate is a possibility for both the lodging and marina. Any cons to this place?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
has anyone considered the the harbor resort and marina? I may try giving them a call this week to see if a group rate is a possibility for both the lodging and marina. Any cons to this place?
The Marriott, The Courtyard water front and I think the Hampton inn have all been used. The biggest advantages to those and using City Marina is you are downtown if you want to go out that night. Harbor Resort and Marina is in Mt Pleasant so it makes getting downtown if you wanted a little more difficult. I have looked at it in the past though it looks like a nice spot though and I wouldn't tell anyone not to stay there if they wanted to that's for sure.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yay! not on the 3rd weekend! Count me in for sure

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
This looks fun and I need to get away from my usual spots and this would be the first group ride for me. Couple of questions: 1) what's the average water temp that time of year in SC? and 2) the ICW is all broken up south of Charleston unless my google maps is wrong. Are we weaving through the inland rivers or hugging the coast? As far as Hilton Head accommodations, my wife is a big disney fan so we will probably stay at their resort--they have a marina there that hopefully I can rent a slip for the night.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This looks fun and I need to get away from my usual spots and this would be the first group ride for me. Couple of questions: 1) what's the average water temp that time of year in SC? and 2) the ICW is all broken up south of Charleston unless my google maps is wrong. Are we weaving through the inland rivers or hugging the coast? As far as Hilton Head accommodations, my wife is a big disney fan so we will probably stay at their resort--they have a marina there that hopefully I can rent a slip for the night.
1. The water temp is probably in the mid to upper 70's.
2. The intercoast does zig-zag through the rivers and bays from Charleston to Hilton Head.
Disney Resort should be perfect, we plan on docking at the Shelter Cove Marina right across from the Disney Resort.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just let me know where and when I need to make reservations. I think we will b staying in Charleston Thursday night and heading up to the launch Friday night so we can do the whole trip weather depending. My boat doesn’t have the same dead rise as you guys and can get a little rough. Thanks Wes
You can make your reservations when ever you like. There is no real assigned specific spot to make reservations for this trip we have always left it up the individual. Marina wise for Hilton Head I expect that most will be a Shelter Cove Marina but the hotels and lodging will be varied. If you are just doing the trip to Charleston I expect most will use City Marina but once again I expect the hotels and lodging will be varied. Both have several options close to the marinas for lodging. I would make reservations that can be canceled just in case weather forces us to cancel.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@robert843

What additional equipment would be required over and above what an inland lake boater might have? I feel like I have scant supplies compared to folks that boat in other areas.

Extra long ropes for the lock?
VHF Radio
Fancier plotter? I have a fairly simple garmin but I don’t really know how to use it much yet.
Other stuff? Is it the same requirements as Bimini? Or, could this be a stepping stone as far as trips/equipment go?

I’d love to join you guys this year. Wife isn’t sure our 3 kids (11, 5, 2) would tolerate 8 hours straight with minimal stops for a boat ride though... especially 2 days in a row. (Plus 11 hour tow to get there)

Tks for any advice

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843

What additional equipment would be required over and above what an inland lake boater might have? I feel like I have scant supplies compared to folks that boat in other areas.

Extra long ropes for the lock?
VHF Radio
Fancier plotter? I have a fairly simple garmin but I don’t really know how to use it much yet.
Other stuff? Is it the same requirements as Bimini? Or, could this be a stepping stone as far as trips/equipment go?

I’d love to join you guys this year. Wife isn’t sure our 3 kids (11, 5, 2) would tolerate 8 hours straight with minimal stops for a boat ride though... especially 2 days in a row. (Plus 11 hour tow to get there)

Tks for any advice
@BigAbe75 here is my take.

Extra long ropes for the lock? No, you tie off to a floating dock or boats tied to the floating dock.
VHF Radio. A handheld would be very useful but we won't be very far apart so one is not critical, just handy.
Fancier Plotter? No, if you are comfortable blindly following then no problem. Otherwise your simple Garmin or maps on your phone would be sufficient.
Other stuff? This trip would be good practice in using equipment that would be needed for Bimini but not vital to complete this trip.

You could always cut the trip in half by launching in Charleston then go to Hilton Head and back. Then spend an extra day or two exploring Charleston by water and land.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 here is my take.

You could always cut the trip in half by launching in Charleston then go to Hilton Head and back. Then spend an extra day or two exploring Charleston by water and land.
I may even recommend the opposite launch at the Lake and do the lock and river run and stay in Charleston and explore the water there and then do the return trip back up through the lock the next day. If I was doing this for a first time that is what I would recommend but either way would probably be nice.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was able to snag a couple rooms at the Courtyard waterfront on points and plan to use City Marina again. We plan to just run the Cooper leg.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to snag a couple rooms at the Courtyard waterfront on points and plan to use City Marina again. We plan to just run the Cooper leg.
You will like that spot it's a nice set up there and close enough to city marina to walk if you so choose and there is a dock at the hotel if you wanted to drop off or pick people up.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is anyone staying near the Hills Point launch site? I'll be coming in the night before launch from Raleigh.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm still interested in a hotel near the launch point but I have booked the Marriott Waterfront the 11th then the Marriott in Hilton Head the 12th and finally the Marriott Waterfront the 13th.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still interested in a hotel near the launch point but I have booked the Marriott Waterfront the 11th then the Marriott in Hilton Head the 12th and finally the Marriott Waterfront the 13th.
Did you book the Marriott or the Courtyard on the 11th? The Courtyard doesn't have sufficient parking for a vehicle and trailer.