• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR210 Stiff Steering

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AZMark Same with when I had issues with mine. Just worked on one side. Other one couldn't get it to lube up. So I replaced

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok well try that and also check the bolts holding the two halves of the helm together some have come loose and had issues with the steering being stiff , worth checking on

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
one more trick while trying to lube the steering cable using a grease gun etc also have someone at the helm turning the wheel all the way in one direction and then to the other and try to visually inspect the cables for kinks or sharp bends.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did not try that one. Tried the air pressure cable luber and it only worked on one side - the good one of course.
do you have an AK steering system on your boat? if so you can temporarily disconnect the steering cable that is locking up your system at both ends , at the helm and at the nozzle and run on the other cable until you can get a new one as my AK systems work both nozzles and the rudder from either or both steering cables, it is built in redundancy so if one of your cables failed completely the rudder and both nozzles still operates off the other one. IN this case the steering would not be hard to operate so using the boat would be a lot more comfortable while you search for a new cable.

Attachments

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
do you have an AK steering system on your boat? if so you can temporarily disconnect the steering cable that is locking up your system at both ends , at the helm and at the nozzle and run on the other cable until you can get a new one as my AK systems work both nozzles and the rudder from either or both steering cables, it is built in redundancy so if one of your cables failed completely the rudder and both nozzles still operates off the other one. IN this case the steering would not be hard to operate so using the boat would be a lot more comfortable while you search for a new cable.
I do have your system. That hadn’t even crossed my mind!

Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
well there you go "another option "

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do have your system. That hadn’t even crossed my mind!
While you're disassembling one of the fins so that you disconnect its jammed cable, you might want to consider this mod, which will allow you to disconnect, adjust, and/or replace your steering cables without touching the fins in the future:

A side benefit is that you can very easily align your steering once you make this mod. Just clamp straight-edges to the fins, so you can measure the spread of the straight-edges relative to the articulating keel. Then adjust the length of the cables and tie rods for your desired toe-in or toe-out angle.

I've modded three sets of Cobra Jet fins this way.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In order to align the nozzles properly you do it with the steering cables and tie rods disconnected and then the tie rods also need to be readjusted as for disconnecting the steering cable ,all you do is remove the small 6mm button cap bolt on the side of the fin and loosen the 8mm button cap about 1/2 inch to allow you to move the fin out and clear the bolt head on the cable. This only applies to the AK-19 fins as they sit further out from the nozzle to clear the reverse hoods width. The AK models sit in closer and are not in line with the bolt.
This way you are not compromising the strength of the fin where it attaches to the nozzle .
Here we are discussing eliminating the bad cable from the system until they can get a replacement cable, The second tie rod alone is all that is actually needed to interconnect the two nozzles and rudder and get everything to operate on one cable temporarily.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors did you remove the whole rear clean out tray to get to the starboard cable?
Did you put any sealant on the inside of the hull? My old ones were coated with like 1” of silicone.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes clean out tray was completely removed. Yes i used 4200.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What size hose you guys using here ?

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
17 sx210....first day on the water looks like I have the same problem.
When I move the buckets on the trailer, some black water leaks out of the one.
Thinking it's not worth trying to inject it with oil and I should just order a new cable set?
Also, since it's the design that you can not access at the helm, seems like I would just be pushing water and debris back into it.
If I could inject the oil from the helm and get all the crap out through the stern I would give it a try for sure.
I have done too many projects that I spend hours trying to fix and than end up just replacing the parts and wish I had just done that from the start.
Seems like replacing it is the way to go but open to opinions, like from hangoutdoors....
thanks!
Also, what do I need the oxygen sensor tool for?

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
17 sx210....first day on the water looks like I have the same problem.
When I move the buckets on the trailer, some black water leaks out of the one.
Thinking it's not worth trying to inject it with oil and I should just order a new one?
To me, it seems silly NOT to lube it. If it works, great, you can put off replacing the cables. If it doesn't, great, you now have a cable luber for the new setup, you'll have experience with using the luber to maintain the new cables, and you'll have an idea of the importance of doing this maintenance on your boat.

Chin up, it's not headed to the scrap heap. Bright side and all

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, what do I need the oxygen sensor tool for?
You use it to undo the bolt on the jet pump that the cable goes through.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Maduro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Today, I took the boat out into lake St. Clair to test out all the mods I have been working on. Also all the holes that I drilled and sealed. Everything passed with flying colors.

Unfortunately, as soon as we put the boat in the water the steering was very stiff. To be honest, I haven't been moving the steering wheel much so I am not sure when this started. I checked for debris or if anything is bent in the back and it is not. Everything looks good.

I do have CJS Fins on the boat, so I checked the additional Tie Rod and it is working smooth and vey moveable.

This is occurring while out of the water, in the water at no wake and at WOT. It was very hard to turn the wheel.

Anyone having this issue on this model and year? I saw some other posts regarding similiar on different models.

Any thoughts? Before I would just undue the steering cable at the jet and then check, for both sides and then check the nozzles etc. and go from there.
Seafoam deep creep! Spray the steering cables that come out of the stern. Work the steering back and forth to allow the seafoam to work up inside of the cables. Do it for about 3 days straight. It should loosen up to factory specs. Also hit your gate cables as well. Spray it everytime you pull it at of the water. If the boat spends a extended period in the water use the seafoam followed up with marine grade grease apply it while wearing a latex glove!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seafoam deep creep! Spray the steering cables that come out of the stern. Work the steering back and forth to allow the seafoam to work up inside of the cables. Do it for about 3 days straight. It should loosen up to factory specs. Also hit your gate cables as well. Spray it everytime you pull it at of the water. If the boat spends a extended period in the water use the seafoam followed up with marine grade grease apply it while wearing a latex glove!
That wouldn't have solved the issue, the cables needed to be replaced.

Maduro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That wouldn't have solved the issue, the cables needed to be replaced.
Listen! I live on the gulf coast and know very well about the steering cables and corrosives. Is is cheaper to buys some seafoam or spend $1000 to replace some cables? I’m sure service needs the money!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Listen! I live on the gulf coast and know very well about the steering cables and corrosives. Is is cheaper to buys some seafoam or spend $1000 to replace some cables? I’m sure service needs the money!
While I am sure you think your tone validates your solution, it does not. The cables had issues all the way through, actually one sided, it is known problem from Dometic whom manufacturers the cables. It was more than corrosion and I always suspected Manufacturer Defect. I didn't spend a thousand it was a few hundred, and the new cables work flawlessly. Additionally Yamaha has issued a NO SELL on boats right now that have cables and a mass recalls, dealers have been instructed to not sell/Deliver the models with steering cables, until the parts are replaced. Dometic has had issues with their cables for years with quality. It is a fairly seen problem by many. The most current one could be also a safety issue. I personally have done mine and helped multiple people replace theirs and the issue is always the same.

Rather than make do with a component that could have issues at anytime, and something so important as steering, I would prefer to replace them, which I did. Now with the issues that have been happening with Dometic, the manufacturer of our steering cables, I feel that replacing was the prudent option. Additionally, when I replaced mine, they were still very hard to get and if something additionally happened I may have been down for the season.

And while I personally replaced mine, for those whom need them/want them replaced it is covered under 1st year and extended warranties, especially now as more information comes to light about Dometic and their product.

Last edited: