• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 FSH 252 Sport Thread

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
[...] Attached are the photos of where the installer placed the transducer. [...]
I originally mounted mine in the exact location as yours, except on the starboard side. On plane, my 255 pulled hard to one side, and the transducer threw a noticeable rooster tail. I then moved the transducer higher by 1/2'', so that it's just skimming the top of the wake on plane. No more pull and no more rooster tail... at the expense of the image going noisy when on plane. I don't really care about a clean structure image when on plane, since I really only need side-scan when I'm positioning myself (at no wake speeds) for fishing.

Last edited:

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Quick question, the past two times I’ve been out fishing I’ve run down my house battery to a level where I’m getting warning message on the Yamaha connect screen. Only thing I’m running is Simrad screen and NMEA 2000 network for my trolling motor. (Trolling motor is running on separate 36v lithium batteries) battery meter drops down to 8V. When I start the boat and ride around for 15-20 min it is displaying 11.5-12v. Then if I start fishing again it quickly drops down back to 8V. I’ve tried charging the battery at my house with a charger and I get the same results. Will display 12.1v then Over the next few hours on the lake while fishing it drops. So that is my problem. My question is do you think I have a dead cell in my battery? Or is this normal? If I replace battery should I replace with a lithium? If I replace with lithium do I have to replace the starter battery with lithium as well? Any suggestions or solutions welcomed!!
Sounds like you need to replace your house battery.

I often troll for 5-6 hours on my 36V MotorGuide, while my house battery runs two Simrad MFDs, radar, heading sensor, two transducers, Ethernet, and NMEA 2K for MotorGuide control from my Simrads... and the house battery doesn't drop below 12V.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FSH Trailer Bow Boarding Kit installed.
Very high quality! Love it!
Thanks @JetBoatPilot

View attachment 174017
View attachment 174018
Cool product!

Last fall, I went the DIY route and made my own platform/step using black HDPE, so I could easily board at the bow... and also step on/off and untie without getting my long pants wet (during the winter) while solo launching/retrieving at the boat ramp.

The blue dockline is a short length of rope that I tie to the boat's bow cleat when solo launching/retrieving. When I'm on the boat, I can't reach down to unclip/clip the bow eye like I used to be able to do on my AR210. Now, when I'm launching, I unclip the strap at the eye before I back down into the water. Once the boat is afloat, I climb onto the boat using the DIY step, and then untie the line from the cleat, before reversing the boat away. Once the boat is tied up to the dock, I hop back into my truck and park the truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was thinking to use this NMEA 2000 Through Bulkhead Connector

If I can find a motor:banghead:
Did you end up using the bulkhead connector?

The MotorGuide gateway connector at the trolling motor is not the same as an NMEA 2K connector. Therefore, if you use a bulkhead NMEA 2K connector, the gateway will have to hang between the bulkhead and the trolling motor.

I mounted a cable clam on the interior wall of the bow, and the gateway is mounted behind the wall. I can pull out enough of the gateway's cable from the clam to connect to the trolling motor. When I disconnect the motor, I slide the gateway cable back into the clam.

Attachments

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Attachments

Last edited:

Thor32766

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Zack with that being below your bottom roller is that above the water line?

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not sure.
Had it out at the islands this weekend and didn't glance at it once.
I'll check next weekend.

I will tell you I'm glad I installed it, because I noticed the very bottom of my keel, paint was worn away from being in shallow waters.
The one I bought was only 12 ft long, so I'm probably going to buy another 10-footer.

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi All. Had an eventful late winter / early spring. Demolition of our old bulkhead and pier and construction of new took all of March and most of April, but we finally had a pier with electricity, a working boat lift, and plumbing by the beginning of May. And now weather is finally starting to warm up for real!

When we took possession of the boat in December I immediately trailered it to a local Yamaha dealer for 10 hour service, winterization, and shrink wrap. My wife and I put it in the water a couple of weeks ago. Nothing like launching your brand new boat that you don't even really know how to start. On the roughly 3 miles from boat ramp to our dock, we just kind of idle along. When we tried to open her up, we got nothing. We limped back to our pier to use our boat lift we'd never used before. After some quick googling, sure enough, the clean out ports had been left open as part of winterization (I assume). All good. Since then we've taken it out a couple of times just for some cruising. All works great, Just wish fuel prices weren't constantly going up! :eek:

I've been so busy with home projects but soon I want to take her out for some real fishing / cruising. Some things of note (almost all of which have been noted/covered before):

1. Wow, low speed steering tracking is a challenge. I've actually had no real problem (yet) docking or getting onto boat lift, but just trying to creep along without doing slow motion slalom takes practice! May need to do the thrust vector or cobra upgrade.

2. Boat has some noise at speed and drowns out the stereo. Not a huge audiophile so upgrading stereo may be low priority. I'd be more interested if people have had success with sound deadening. One of my other hobbies is air-cooled Porsches. I've used sound deadening on those with some success, although they will never be mistaken for a Tesla.

3. One of the first projects is to address battery tender requirements. I've read the DVSR / charging threads, and it seems like disconnecting the DVSR ground is the least invasive solution to charging batteries independently with a Noco 2 band charger.

I'm sure I'll come up with more mods / improvement ideas after getting some hours on it. I barely know how to use the Simrad at this point, still.

Anyway, I am learning a lot on this forum just lurking. Here's a pic of new boat, on new lift, attached to new pier. All good!

Attachments

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
One of the hats I wear, I am the primary electrical contractor for a boat lift/dock/pier company, so I understand why it took so long LOL! We are crazy busy.

Every issue you brought up, we all have had to deal with.

Just read through this thread, maybe check out some of my tutorials and prepare to spend a bunch of money. 😎

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi All. Had an eventful late winter / early spring. Demolition of our old bulkhead and pier and construction of new took all of March and most of April, but we finally had a pier with electricity, a working boat lift, and plumbing by the beginning of May. And now weather is finally starting to warm up for real!

When we took possession of the boat in December I immediately trailered it to a local Yamaha dealer for 10 hour service, winterization, and shrink wrap. My wife and I put it in the water a couple of weeks ago. Nothing like launching your brand new boat that you don't even really know how to start. On the roughly 3 miles from boat ramp to our dock, we just kind of idle along. When we tried to open her up, we got nothing. We limped back to our pier to use our boat lift we'd never used before. After some quick googling, sure enough, the clean out ports had been left open as part of winterization (I assume). All good. Since then we've taken it out a couple of times just for some cruising. All works great, Just wish fuel prices weren't constantly going up! :eek:

I've been so busy with home projects but soon I want to take her out for some real fishing / cruising. Some things of note (almost all of which have been noted/covered before):

1. Wow, low speed steering tracking is a challenge. I've actually had no real problem (yet) docking or getting onto boat lift, but just trying to creep along without doing slow motion slalom takes practice! May need to do the thrust vector or cobra upgrade.

2. Boat has some noise at speed and drowns out the stereo. Not a huge audiophile so upgrading stereo may be low priority. I'd be more interested if people have had success with sound deadening. One of my other hobbies is air-cooled Porsches. I've used sound deadening on those with some success, although they will never be mistaken for a Tesla.

3. One of the first projects is to address battery tender requirements. I've read the DVSR / charging threads, and it seems like disconnecting the DVSR ground is the least invasive solution to charging batteries independently with a Noco 2 band charger.

I'm sure I'll come up with more mods / improvement ideas after getting some hours on it. I barely know how to use the Simrad at this point, still.

Anyway, I am learning a lot on this forum just lurking. Here's a pic of new boat, on new lift, attached to new pier. All good!
Where are you located?

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where are you located?
I'm on the Tred Avon River, a major tributary on the eastern side of the Chesapeake. We like boating to eat at our favorite restaurants in Oxford, MD and fishing out in the bay. Someday we may even get good at it (fishing, that is. I've got the eating part down).

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
One of the hats I wear, I am the primary electrical contractor for a boat lift/dock/pier company, so I understand why it took so long LOL! We are crazy busy.

Every issue you brought up, we all have had to deal with.

Just read through this thread, maybe check out some of my tutorials and prepare to spend a bunch of money. 😎
Oh, that's cool, Zack. Yeah, I'm really lucky my pier builder put in the order for my boat lift a LONG time ago. They had everything on hand and ready when the electric was in.

Yeah, I know none of my observations are original. I am hoping it confirms I'm not crazy... 🤔

This thread is awesome. I've read through it all. I just need to prioritize what improvements to make, and what money to spend. After the pier, bulkhead, lift, and the boat itself...whoa, I've got a bit of spending fatigue. The boat is a little like my pier in terms of modification. With my old pier, which was sagging and falling apart, I had no hesitation slapping a bolt or an accessory in somewhere if I needed it. This new pier is like a work of (expensive) art. I'm kind of reluctant to start drilling holes for ladders or cleats or other things. The boat is kind of the same way. I'm sure I'll get over it before long in both cases, though.

LeonPhelps

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Zack did you notice the steering wheel was a little harder to turn after the thrust vectors? I didnt drive the boat all winter so maybe its just in my head.

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nope.
All I noticed was how much better low speed maneuverability was.😎

Besides, the key to steering a jet boat is learning to operate the left and right motors independently to spin the boat on a dime.

Last edited:

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last edited:

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just ordered the thrust vectors. Thought about getting the lateral thrusters, but didn't want to sacrifice reverse power -- yet. I've found the boat to be surprisingly maneuverable leaving and entering the dock. You just have to remember to go back to independent throttle control before you need it. I may change my mind the first time I make a clown of myself at the restaurant near us.

Going to install the AC port tomorrow. And I think I need a new house battery...

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A couple of updates / improvements:

1. New house battery installed and haven't had any issues like I was seeing previously.

2. Got the AC port installed cleanly, and the 2 bank charger hooked up to it. I'd like to put a better DVSR ground wire/disconnect solution in place. The existing DVSR ground wire is very thin gauge (like 16 or thinner), and it's just loosely hanging there. I had a hard time getting a good solid connection to the switch with that thin wire, but so far it's working. I would just like more confidence in it.

3. I received the thrust vectors yesterday and managed to get them installed same day. I have a small floating dock I used as the work platform with the boat up on the lift. It worked, and I managed to not drop any important pieces into the water, but it's not that fun trying to thread a small screw when the dock wants to move away from where you are trying to work. I got a chance to take it out for testing today, and yes, it tracks significantly better at slow speed. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I posted on another thread (broken transducer mount), but haven't had any replies. Somewhere, somehow it looks like my transducer hit something and the front half of the housing broke off. That may explain why I feel a noticeable pull to starboard at speed. Water can't be flowing over that smoothly. Pic below, but I need to figure out what I need to do and when I need to do it. So far the transducer is still working and I don't appear to be taking on water through that fitting.

DamagedTransducer1.jpg

TexAg-00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey Zack- did you ever end up installing the XM weather module? I saw where you did the NMEA 2k… was that difficult? Does that then enable the XM WM-4? Thanks!!