• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 AR220 First Oil Change help??

ssommer10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,
I just bought a used 2023 AR220 with 10 hours on it and all it needs was its first 10 hour service. I am going to change the oil and filters myself but a little confused. I understand using a pump to suck oil from the dipstick area as the main area and then removing the hose to suck oil from there as well and then maybe from the oil filter. My question comes to refilling, I will refill with what I removed. Is this boat a combination wet sump and dry sump? If so do I refill half the oil through the dipstick location and the other half on top of the engine with what appears to be the dry sump? Appreciate any help and thank you.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no idea if the owner's manual goes over an oil change, but the service manual for mine identifies exactly what you stated - fill half through the top, and half into the dipstick hole.

I wouldn't refill with exactly what you removed. Use your dipstick as your indicator, not any specific amount. There's a reason for the dipstick, and it's always possible to forget or mess up a number if you're going with an amount. Close to what's removed is a good start, you should be at least halfway up the dipstick. Then, follow the procedure for checking the oil level in your owner's manual, and finish completing your fill to the level you want, while on the water. The motors should be level while on the water, and you'll get a better reading.

If your manual contradicts anything I've stated, then follow those directions instead. You should still be under warranty, and listening to some guy on the internet isn't going to cover your butt if anything I said is contrary to the "authorized procedure" that Yamaha lays out for your specific boat. Hopefully someone with your boat, or a pic of the manual's procedure will post those up for you. If you're considering doing as much as you can for service of your boat, the service manual should be purchased ASAP, but even if you're not, it'll provide valuable insight into what's involved if anything needs to be done for your boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It appears from a quick internet search that the 2023 AR 220 has the TR-1 engines, there are several threads about oil changes, here is one. https://jetboaters.net/threads/2017-2019-ar-210-oil-change-tr-1-engine.23519/

The TR-1 engine is a dry sump, there is an oil tank / cooler on the back of the engine.

First thing I would do would be to level the engines in the driveway and run each engine on the hose for 5-6 min, wait 5 minutes and then check the oil level on the dipstick per the owners manual, to know where the oil level is at before you begin your oil change process. Running the engines will allow the scavenging pump to e move any oil that’s accumulated in the dry sump and return it to the tank so you’ll get an accurate measurement.

As @drewkaree stated above, don’t just replace the amount of oil you take out, it’s good to note how much you removed but in the case of the TR-1 engine which holds I believe 3.5 L of oil with a filter change, I would put in 3.2L to begin with as long as you removed at least that much. As you can see from the linked thread there are two extraction points, be sure to use the thinnest / smallest diameter extraction hose and make sure the extraction hose is all the way at the bottom of both extraction points, this may take a bit if finagling. Again, good to know where the oil level was to begin with to have a good expectation of how much oil is going to be extracted.

Again, as @drewkaree mentioned, get a service manual, in the service manual it is suggested to punch a couple of holes in the oil filters to allow that oil to drain into the engine. You do this right after you’ve run the engines to warm up the old oil to make extraction easier, this will allow plenty of time for the oil in the filters to drain into the engines while you start the extraction process.

Be sure and lay copious amounts of paper towels under the engine in the back under where the oil filters are so any oil that may spill will land on the paper towels. Some people use pig mats or diapers for this.