• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2024 AR190 top speed/mods

Bleed45

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys I just bought a 190 with the 1.8L engine. Had it out at lake perris yesterday with 3 adults to do the break in. After the 3hour break in I gave her some gas but couldn’t get past 34MPH. Elevation approx 1500ft and there was some considerable wind.
I was not expecting a super fast boat but with almost no load 34 seemed slow? I have seen a lot of other posts about ribbon deletes and air filters. My question is what sight do you buy them from? I can’t find anywhere that is for jet boats?

Hey guys I just bought a 190 with the 1.8L engine. Had it out at lake perris yesterday with 3 adults to do the break in. After the 3hour break in I gave her some gas but couldn’t get past 34MPH. Elevation approx 1500ft and there was some considerable wind.
I was not expecting a super fast boat but with almost no load 34 seemed slow? I have seen a lot of other posts about ribbon deletes and air filters. My question is what sight do you buy them from? I can’t find anywhere that is for jet boats?
adding @2kwik4u, a fellow 190 owner with alot of knowledge.

Thanks @Thermobrett !

@Bleed45 Honestly 34mph at 1500ft with 3 adults doesn't sound absurdly bad. Little low, but not alarmingly so. Couple of questions.

1. What revs were you getting at WOT?
    • Should be up near 7,800rpm or so.
    • It's like The Price is Right here, as close as you can get without going over.
  2. Where were the adults sitting?
    • Weight in the bow on this boat kills speed faster than anything else.
    • As much as 3-4mph swing with 200-250lbs in the bow in my experience.
  3. Any cavitation to speak of?
    • Does it feel like it's losing "traction" during takeoff?
    • If so, we'll want to address that first.
  4. How does the boat run in general? Smooth and clean? Any sputtering or rough idle?
    • The 1.8L isn't as sensitive as the MR1 to spark plug condition, but it is a factor.
    • Usually this manifests as a rough idle and inability to reach peak revs.

The general "recipe" for a consistent 190 is not so much to build power, but to make sure the pumps working like it should and build consistency. Here are the things I have, as well as others have, done and some threads to help with what they are.

1. Seal the Intake Tunnel - #1 mod I've done to eliminate cavitation. - Link to what I did
  2. Install a Lucky 13 pump Cone - #2 mod I've done. Again, helps with Cavitation - Link (for an AR240, but the 190 has the same pump)
    1. - Here's the link on what to buy
  3. Ribbon Delete - This didn't really add any power, but added consistency.
  4. Re-Pitch your Impeller - Call the guys at Impros and discuss getting a new impeller that is better suited to your elevation. 1500ft is right on the cusp of where it starts being "worth it" to do. @swatski did a TON of testing on impellers with his '16 SX190. He found the best "all around" impeller is the stock unit that ships with the boat, however at elevation the adjusted pitch will help get your revs back up where they're supposed to be. Won't be a silver bullet, but will likely help with more consistency.
  5. Get more revs with a new Tune - MapTunerX will allow you to flash a new tune file to your ECM. This raises the rev limit, which in turn raises the top speed. Use at your own risk. Again, @swatski did a ton of work on this and had good results. This is NOT a common mod, but appears pretty safe.
  6. Custom Intake - NautiNurse did a good job and reported decent results from this mod. Check this link.

Ultimately, the 190 is NOT a speed demon. The best I've ever seen on mine was 42mph. Bow loading and weather are your worst enemies if making a top speed run. Bimini stowed (it's a big sail) with a tail wind, and a light chop are going to be your friends. Without trying anything fancy, and a normal load of 2 adults 2 kids and some coolers, and Bimini deployed we usually run around 39-40mph. Tested it this weekend on Lake Erie and with a big headwind only got 37mph at WOT. I'm around 400+hrs on my boat as well. It's been pretty consistent for the last few years, and I've been somewhat neglecting it mechanically.

Appreciate the info @2kwik4u
I want to start off by saying this boat is brand new 5 hours on it so I understand it’s still got a little breaking in to do.
I am unsure of the exact RPM unfortunately when I WOT some stuff was flying around and I was distracted. Only saw the MPH.

Adults sitting in middle near captains chair and 1 in stern.

It did not feel like cavitation or at least not like the cavitation I’ve felt on my JetSki, acceleration was smooth and boat handled the water perfectly. Just felt when I went from 25mph to WOT it wasn’t fast.

Generally the boat was running great. Started right up and ran no issues but it’s my first boat so I’m not the most familiar.

I am not so much worried about speed demon but I want to be able to bring a couple adults and not be stuck at 20mph. My elevation will change as I will be going to different lakes and rivers in my area and am not married to one spot. I appreciate all the links I’ll check them out and try to work on it in the offseason. Banks a little empty since the purchase haha.

@2kwik4u where do you guys generally buy parts from? Do you just buy ski parts as long as the motor matches?

Just to give you another data point -- our 2020 SX190 hits 35mph with two adults and maxes out around 7400rpm. The 2019+ 19' hulls are deeper, wider, and heavier which creates a better ride at the expense of some speed. From what you've described the boat is performing as designed. I was surprised too when I first got the boat because all of the articles and reports seem to be from the earlier hulls that will indeed hit 40+mph with the na motor.

@2kwik4u where do you guys generally buy parts from? Do you just buy ski parts as long as the motor matches?
Honestly, I have bought a part in years. The few I have bought are linked above, most everything maintenance wise comes from the dealer.

@JetBoatPilot has a nice online store with most everything you'll need otherwise

Just to give you another data point -- our 2020 SX190 hits 35mph with two adults and maxes out around 7400rpm. The 2019+ 19' hulls are deeper, wider, and heavier which creates a better ride at the expense of some speed. From what you've described the boat is performing as designed. I was surprised too when I first got the boat because all of the articles and reports seem to be from the earlier hulls that will indeed hit 40+mph with the na motor.
Yes that is the exact thoughts I had haha. The videos show 40ish which may be possible with me only and perfect conditions. I just want to make sure that if I throw 4-5 people in there I can still get on plane and move faster than a pontoon lol

Keep in mind that my 2022 SX195 would consistently run mid 40s with 2 adults, 3 kids and all the crap a boat has in it. Best cruising speed for comfort and fuel economy was 28-34mph. Best speed I ever had was 51.5 with flat water, slight tail wind and the top down with just two adults and 40gals on fuel. I the 195s also have a supercharger and are not naturally aspirated. As far as you out running the local party barges, I don’t see a problem. The tritoons with 700hp may give you a run for your money 😉

Keep in mind that my 2022 SX195 would consistently run mid 40s with 2 adults, 3 kids and all the crap a boat has in it. Best cruising speed for comfort and fuel economy was 28-34mph. Best speed I ever had was 51.5 with flat water, slight tail wind and the top down with just two adults and 40gals on fuel. I the 195s also have a supercharger and are not naturally aspirated. As far as you out running the local party barges, I don’t see a problem. The tritoons with 700hp may give you a run for your money 😉
Best friend back in Indiana has a 24ft Triton with a 150 on it. He would run a consistent 35mph at WOT. 20 people on board or just him, didn't matter. He would consistently out run me to just about any destination. I might be 38-40 in a straight line, but would bleed off to 30-32 when turning, even long sweeping turns would be a problem. He never got out of sight, but that consistency was hard to compete with over a long run.

Always lusted after a 212S for just that reason. 50+mph would feel like a rocketship. But then we would go wakeboarding and leave his boat behind, or go to the gulf and leave his behind. The 190 won't win any races, but it's remarkably versatile in my experience and won't break the bank while adventuring.

@2kwik4u another question I have is what is the standard gas tank on an AR190? Online and everywhere it says 40GAL but when I took my boat out for the first time I put in 25 gallons and it said 100% full on the dash.

@2kwik4u another question I have is what is the standard gas tank on an AR190? Online and everywhere it says 40GAL but when I took my boat out for the first time I put in 25 gallons and it said 100% full on the dash.
Likely had some left in it from the factory. Maybe the dealer put some in there for testing/showing/etc? Hard to say.

New ones have a 40gal, older ones have a 30gal.

I've run mine until the low fuel light comes on. Can't remember what I put back in it.

@swatski and I discussed fuel usage ~6yrs ago in this thread

I always had issues with the correct % of fuel left in my 2022. It had a 40 gal tank but never seemed accurate. Best thing I found, and with some help from @FSH 210 Sport was to run the tank down pretty low and then fill it back up. There is no way to “re calibrate” the float, but this seemed to be the best thing to correct the issue.

I think it's great all the info shared about previous AR190 models. But this 2024 should have the 1.9ltr engine in it, unless it was purchased in California.

So the RPM's at WOT may be different than what others have experienced with their 190's with the 1.8lt engine. I would be making the assumption that the ECU could be limiting it during break in as well. Every new Yamaha engine I have ever bought with EFI had a break in programmed into the ECU limiting performance ever so slightly. These could very well be different though.

Good luck,

I think it's great all the info shared about previous AR190 models. But this 2024 should have the 1.9ltr engine in it, unless it was purchased in California.

So the RPM's at WOT may be different than what others have experienced with their 190's with the 1.8lt engine. I would be making the assumption that the ECU could be limiting it during break in as well. Every new Yamaha engine I have ever bought with EFI had a break in programmed into the ECU limiting performance ever so slightly. These could very well be different though.

Good luck,
Yes I purchased it in California. I did not know the California boats did not have 1.9L or I would have gone over to AZ and bought it. Big mistake on my part. Appreciate the info!

One other thing that I didn't mention was to check that the throttle cable was adjusted properly. It's possible for this to slip slightly and WOT on the binnacle is not the same as WOT on the throttle position sensor. I doubt this is the issue on a brand new boat, but it's worth checking off the list.

Yes I purchased it in California. I did not know the California boats did not have 1.9L or I would have gone over to AZ and bought it. Big mistake on my part. Appreciate the info!

Nobody did, and has yet to be confirmed or if all of them were shipped with 1.8's. What is under the hood of your boat?

I would get through break in before adjusting any cables. After 10-15 hours, that ECU may allow the engine to open up. But if it's a 1.8, your RPMs will tell the story. They guys above gave you some good baselines.

When breaking in other Yamaha engines, seat of the pants feel would tell us we were out of break in, but the ECU would allow RPM's to open up. Heck some of our sleds had two break in limits. One at 500 miles and another at 1000 miles. (obviously may not apply here, but Yamaha is known for their engines first) The 1049 triple in the TR1 engine is nearly identical to the engine in my Yamaha Viper snowmobile. My Viper has almost every bolt on modification made and will blow stock 1049's away.

Nobody did, and has yet to be confirmed or if all of them were shipped with 1.8's. What is under the hood of your boat?

I would get through break in before adjusting any cables. After 10-15 hours, that ECU may allow the engine to open up. But if it's a 1.8, your RPMs will tell the story. They guys above gave you some good baselines.

When breaking in other Yamaha engines, seat of the pants feel would tell us we were out of break in, but the ECU would allow RPM's to open up. Heck some of our sleds had two break in limits. One at 500 miles and another at 1000 miles. (obviously may not apply here, but Yamaha is known for their engines first) The 1049 triple in the TR1 engine is nearly identical to the engine in my Yamaha Viper snowmobile. My Viper has almost every bolt on modification made and will blow stock 1049's away.
I bought a waverunner last year brand new and after about 10 hours it seemed much faster and smoother so I’ll see if it’s a bit better after a true break in. Appreciate the info

I bought a waverunner last year brand new and after about 10 hours it seemed much faster and smoother so I’ll see if it’s a bit better after a true break in. Appreciate the info
Ya, 2 of the 5 waverunners I have owned were new out of the crate and I experienced the same with those. Best of luck!

Hey @2kwik4u just wanted to update this thread. Took it out this weekend and got the boat to 7-8hours. WOT did not move a millimeter past 7k RPM. Still not sure if it’s a generic 10 hour ish break in phase but it seems a bit slow to plane. I had 4 adults this weekend and WOT is 30mph. I’m fine with the speed but it wasn’t fast to get on plane in my opinion.

Back