• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

210 FSH Power

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone figured out how to make better power/speed? I have been trying to search threads but no real luck. I just feel as though I should be getting better than 34mph at sea level with 5-6 people... The best I have gotten is 42 when I first got the boat with 2 people. I have not had that few of people on since, so I can't say for sure it has gone down at all. Thoughts... Suggestions... or is that just how it is?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone figured out how to make better power/speed? I have been trying to search threads but no real luck. I just feel as though I should be getting better than 34mph at sea level with 5-6 people... The best I have gotten is 42 when I first got the boat with 2 people. I have not had that few of people on since, so I can't say for sure it has gone down at all. Thoughts... Suggestions... or is that just how it is?
What kind of rpms are you getting ?
When was the last time you replaced the plugs?
Have you tried pulling the air filters out while make a top speed run to see if there is a difference?

Suggestion: RIVA racing just got their K&N style drop in filters back in stock and two are headed my way… might be a consideration for you to get as much air into the engines as possible. I did a speed run up here at 5000’ during the summer and picked up 250 rpms by removing the OEM paper elements, so I figured the RIVA racing air filters may help.

Last edited:

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't paid enough attention to know exactly what RPM's I'm making I'll have to pay closer attention. I know that they are up there above 7k I'll have to pay closer attention when I get the boat back from the shop. Plugs probably have 10 hours on them, they got changed at about 16 hours for the 10 hour service. I have not pulled the air filters, I can give that a go. I just feel like 34 is rather slow when I'm not even at max capacity. Can anyone comment if this is normal?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
should be in the low 40's. What elevation? You say that you are not at max capacity... What does that exactly mean? 4 people, 8 people etc.

Test it out, with you and one other person, sitting behind the center console in a light chop. You should see low 40's.

Also if you put a couple few people up front, you will alot of speed, 5-10 mph depending on how heavy.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I can second @HangOutdoors on people in the bow slowing things down a lot, I saw a 7-8 mph drop the other day with a couple of guys up front and me at the helm. I’ve got altitude induced hp loss, and I’m propped to where I’m at 7500 rpm at 5000’, if I drop down to 3200’ I’m at 8000, so I can really feel it when I start putting people on board and where they sit. By putting people up front you’ve got more hull in the water.

Also, check the oil level in the engines, if it’s overfilled that will drop your rpm’s down some as well. If the oil was overfilled your air filters can get soaked with oil and cause a lot of restriction.

Our boats aren’t exactly power houses to begin with lol! 34 isn’t too awful bad, not stunning but not too bad. Again as @HangOutdoors says try moving people around and get the most weight you can back as far as you can, one on the helm seat w you one on each jump seat, and two on the forward center console seat and see what happens, with the heaviest people in the helm seat and in the jump seats. Then you’ll know the effects.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies, I did see a few threads on the oil I will be checking that when I get the boat back, currently getting warranty work done. Most people do like to sit in the front normally 4-5 up front with 6-7 total people on board. I will ask people to come back and see how much that changes things. I am at sea level not sure I have ever seen 8k RPM so ill have to pay closer attention as well pretty sure closer to 7500.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies, I did see a few threads on the oil I will be checking that when I get the boat back, currently getting warranty work done. Most people do like to sit in the front normally 4-5 up front with 6-7 total people on board. I will ask people to come back and see how much that changes things. I am at sea level not sure I have ever seen 8k RPM so ill have to pay closer attention as well pretty sure closer to 7500.
Bow weight is a major speed killer. At least 5 mph and probably more with that many people

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With 4-5 up front, that is about all you are going to get is what you are getting. 8000 RPM's at sea level, most will never see this. If you are getting 7500 you are most likely getting all you will get. I max out on my TR1's 7400 port and 7600 Starboard. That is at 300' above sea level

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think the shop manual lists the engines at 8000 rpm with a 500 rpm variance. A lot depends on your atmospheric conditions as well. If it’s really humid and warm that’s going to knock performance down as well.

You will see a difference for sure if you move all those people into the back. A couple of my friends like to stand behind the helm and hold onto the rocket launchers.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thats pretty much how it is. I cruise around 28-34 with 5-6 folks on board. if i were to max it i would prob get 37 tops. With just one person in the boat i can get 42ish. I live where the current and wind have a Huge effect on speed. So, take that into consideration as well.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just noticed that you have trim tabs with auto actuators…. Trim tabs can slow the boat down as well, next time you are out try retracting the trim tabs all the way up and see what effect that has on your top speed.

Also what octane fuel are you running?

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just noticed that you have trim tabs with auto actuators…. Trim tabs can slow the boat down as well, next time you are out try retracting the trim tabs all the way up and see what effect that has on your top speed.

Also what octane fuel are you running?
Yeah I know trim tabs can knock off a lot of speed I had them on my SeaDoo and it could knock 15+mph all the way down... Made it next to impossible to handle as well. But no, I noticed this issue before I got the trim tabs and most the time when running WOT I have them all the way up anyway.

I am running standard 87 octane.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
3 of us on the boat today everyone moved to the back I hit 40... so I guess its close to what its supposed to be. Was getting 7400 RPM Port and 7300 Starboard

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could probably knock out a few more MPH. Maybe dirty hull, check oil and filters. Make sure the throttle are hitting the actuators full in the engine bay. Enjoy your boat.... :)

Also even with the tabs all the way retracted they still engage (make a bit of contact) just a bit with the weight in the back and knock off a couple MPH. I noticed the same thing as well with mine.

When I didn't have a boat I always kept dreaming about when I would be able to get one and get back on out on the water, and fish and enjoy. Was even thinking a small alumacraft or anything. Then Covid hit, we cancelled summer Disney trip and got a good deal right at the beggining of the lock down so we bought it. Next thing you know I would of liked more speed, was dialing everything in, and tricked it out with every option, not that I needed to. Now it is winter and all I want to go is go out on the lake and relax, enjoy. It is all about perspective. :)

You got a great boat. It was my first choice the FSH, but the family voted against it to get the bowrider.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for following up!

Seems like your speed is pretty good with three people on board, and the rpm’s are close.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Stumbled across this Jet Boat Pilot video with a 2018 210 FSH Sport.

Seems like you are really close to what they got on their top speed test, both in mph and rpm’s. The JBP crew was just two people 70% fuel and life jackets and saw 45 mph, they were traveling pretty light.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You could probably knock out a few more MPH. Maybe dirty hull, check oil and filters. Make sure the throttle are hitting the actuators full in the engine bay. Enjoy your boat.... :)

Also even with the tabs all the way they still engage just a bit with the weight in the back and knock off a couple MPH. I noticed the same thing as well with mine.

When I didn't have a boat I always kept dreaming about when I would be able to get one and get back on out on the water, and fish and enjoy. Was even thinking a small alumacraft or anything. Then Covid hit, we cancelled summer Disney trip and got a good deal right at the beggining of the lock down so we bought it. Next thing you know I would of liked more speed, was dialing everything in, and tricked it out with every option, not that I needed to. Now it is winter and all I want to go is go out on the lake and relax. It is all about perspective. :)

You got a great boat. It was my first choice the FSH, but the family voted against it to get the bowrider.
New spark plugs help too, you will lose RPM's when the plugs start failing.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yesterday got to test the Density Altitude (DA) theory. In the summer, the DA was 1,500 ft and the engines reved to 7,200 at 42 mph. Yesterday's DA was less than 300 ft. Engines reved to 7,400 at 44 mph. Yesterday the river was choppy. I think the top speed might have been higher if the water was not so rough. The boat was similarly loaded on both days. Just me and about 75% fuel. Yesterday I also removed the air filters and the rpm might have increased to 7,500. I did not notice an increase in speed. I am going to keep the air filters installed.
This is conjecture. Since the water in the river is brackish, I think the engines would have reved higher in fresh water due to the lower density. Unless the engines produce more power at the higher rpm, I think the thrust would not increase. If the thrust doesn't increase, don't think the top speed would have increased.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome post!

Typically some light chop will yield the highest speed.

There was a graph I saw for a Berkeley jet that showed the required horsepower to reach 5000 rpm, which was 350 horsepower, to reach 6000 rpm the required horsepower was 725.

As you correctly asserted, brackish water is more dense than fresh water and salt water denser still.

Also nice job on testing without the air filters! I think the reason your observed difference may have been lower than mine was that your DA was less than 300’. When I get the chance I will test my OEM air filters against the RIVA racing K&N drop in filters that I bought and post the results, but that could be a while.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I guess I just didn't realize how much speed will bleed off when you throw a few people and weight around in this boat. Still love the room and handling conditions of this boat, just wish it was a little faster. Coming from a super charged boat I never really noticed a difference in top end speed based on the people I had. I think I still like the room in the boat and am ok for now with the speed trade off. I am interested in your results on the drop in filter. I put minimum effort into looking into those just because I have never seen a big difference in a air intake, with that said I'd spend a couple $$ to make this thing a little faster.