• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212xd 2021 Yamaha, having issues with the Drive by Wire

212xd 2021 Having Major Issues.

• Need help!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Anybody have this issue??

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Rippen4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Just bought a 212xd Yamaha 2021. Put it in the water and almost ruined it right when I started it up, 1 of the engines engages in Forward as soon as you start it with the pushbutton. Then if you shut it off and repeat the steps, engine 2 will start and engage in Forward and engine 1 stays in neutral and will not do anything in any mode.

Did the dealer not check this before delivery?

Must not have, when I did my walk through we did fire up the engines but I didn't pay attention to what the screens where displaying. It was a quick on then off test.

Must not have, when I did my walk through we did fire up the engines but I didn't pay attention to what the screens where displaying. It was a quick on then off test.
20210604_193723.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarifying question: so the throttle handles are in neutral when you start the boat, but without touching the throttle handles one of the engines electronically shifts into forward such that the throttle handle is still in neutral but the screen shows the engine is now in forward and you're feeling forward propulsion?

I'm trying to understand if the electronics are engaging forward even though the throttle handles are still in the neutral position, or if the boat is allowing you to start the engine with the throttle handle in the forward position (it should only allow the engine to start if the throttle handle is in the neutral position. Either way, not good!

Yeah, something is clearly wrong here. Get that sucker back to the dealer and have them look at it before you miss more of the summer.

Clarifying question: so the throttle handles are in neutral when you start the boat, but without touching the throttle handles one of the engines electronically shifts into forward such that the throttle handle is still in neutral but the screen shows the engine is now in forward and you're feeling forward propulsion?

I'm trying to understand if the electronics are engaging forward even though the throttle handles are still in the neutral position, or if the boat is allowing you to start the engine with the throttle handle in the forward position (it should only allow the engine to start if the throttle handle is in the neutral position. Either way, not good!
The levers are in neutral positions when i start the engines and 1 of the 2 will engage in Forward position with propulsion. The other engine will start in neutral but you can't get that engine to engage in Forward or Reverse in any type of mode, Running mode, Single lever mode, or Drive mode.

The levers are in neutral positions when i start the engines and 1 of the 2 will engage in Forward position with propulsion. The other engine will start in neutral but you can't get that engine to engage in Forward or Reverse in any type of mode, Running mode, Single lever mode, or Drive mode.
Sounds like there is an issue with the nozzles.

Ok had the exact same issue right around 10 hours. Was able to do a hard reboot between the battery and drive panel up front and haven’t had issues since. Seems like connext issue around service time.

Ok had the exact same issue right around 10 hours. Was able to do a hard reboot between the battery and drive panel up front and haven’t had issues since. Seems like connext issue around service time.

]
This boat is Brand new, has .2 hrs on both engines.

Sounds like you may have the "paddle shifters" engaged....I've not played with the drive controls, but would think the boat wouldn't start with them engaged??? Sounds like something wasn't set up right.....or you can start with them engaged??

It sounds like the electric nozzle drop isn't working. When the engines are off, the nozzles sit in the raised position. Upon starting, they should drop down roughly half way (Yamaha version of Neutral). Can you have someone start it while it's on the trailer and watch what each nozzle does? No need to connect the water hose for 5-10 seconds of run time.

Well, got the boat back, dealer took it out on the water, couldn't get it to act up. They cleared the code before they took it out. The code reads CHECK ENGINE ! Stop Steering, contact dealer. Once this code is in the system it goes haywire. Back to the same issues. So had it out for about 20 min, shut the engines off, then code appeared. So boat is going back to the dealer for a third time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-204616_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-204616_Messages.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 43
Well, got the boat back, dealer took it out on the water, couldn't get it to act up. They cleared the code before they took it out. The code reads CHECK ENGINE ! Stop Steering, contact dealer. Once this code is in the system it goes haywire. Back to the same issues. So had it out for about 20 min, shut the engines off, then code appeared. So boat is going back to the dealer for a third time.
Start to take videos stating the date.

We just had it happen as well. My wife was on the dock and kept asking me why I was going forward -- I told her, I'm not, the boat just is and I'm supposed to be in N. Luckily didn't cause any damage and we got it out away from the dock. One engine running F while the other wouldn't come out of neutral when both throttles were in N. We turned off the dual batteries, turned them back on and and restarted and it was fine after that. Not sure what or how it was caused?? Scared me though and it was right at the beginning of our July 4th weekend camping trip. Luckily the battery reset fixed it. Will call the dealer today and see if he knows what might cause that.

I did, it is posted on YouTube, 212XD Yamaha 2021 Major Issues.
I just got a 2021 212 xd and mine is doing the same thing. The port side motor is stuck in nutral and will not do anything. The other motor works though. Did you get yours fixed and if so what did you do to fix it?

No it is not fixed, it's at the dealer for the third time for this issue, Yamaha can't figure it out.

Yamaha definitely has a problem, looks like I’ll have to take mine to the dealer as well. Hopefully Yamaha figures it out and we can get back on the lake soon!! Let me know if they fix it.

Back