• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

242XE How to remove and reinstall Big Bimini on top of the Tower. Need Help

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guys I will be trying to remove a big Bimini top on top of the tower this weekend for the first time and need some help before trailering at highway speeds. Would anyone be willing to make a short video you tube or here to post so I can see the best order to remove and then reinstall it? Or possibly someone could do a little drawing showing the best order to go about it? I don’t have a clue where to start and don’t want to damage it.

Thanks!

I wrote this up, but can't find it. So here is my quick how to that Yamaha showed me:

1. Undo all the clips and the ratchet straps (pull the strap all the way out of the ratchets)
  2. Pull the cover off the stern - meaning, make sure the corners aren't wrapped around the frame.
  3. Go to the front of the boat standing between the windshields and grab the cover and start rolling it up. Roll it over not under (if that makes sense) and keep rolliing it.
  4. At some point the ratchet straps will be pulled up (be careful they don't hit the windshield).
  5. Once you have it in a long roll, take it off and fold it up.

When you go to put it back on, you do the reverse - lay the "burrito" back on the frame, and then have one person holding the burrito, while another person pulls the loose edge of the burrito back towards the stern. Keep pulling until you get to the back of the frame and pull the corners over the frame, then go back to the bow end and pull it over the corners, connect the straps and ratchets.

You will struggle with where the straps go. I ended up making some labels with my label maker with arrows to point where the straps go. Another approach is to take photos before you take it off - of each spot where straps go around the frame.

You are the best, thanks so much for the quick response!

How do they hold up for waterproofing and stuff? Do these hold up not needing anything for 5+ years?

Mine is a 2016 and is still holding up well. It remains on, in my slip, all year here in NC. I'm kind of expecting it to need replacing soon....but so far so good. I NEVER tow with it on. I was considering taking it, and my mooring cover and spraying it with waterproofing before the season this year, as my mooring cover is definitely not as waterproof as it used to be.

Nice so your still on the original of both? I’m assuming your slip is covered so neither cover or Bimini top are exposed to sun all the time?

I can't make you a video for the reasons I outlined in the other post you have on this same topic. Boat is stored too far away for the winter and I have the bimini top at home for cleaning and safe keeping. However , I did take a few pictures at the dealership before taking delivery of my boat. I knew it would be needed when I put mine back on the first time.It should help you with the routing of the ratchet straps back thru the frame when reinstalling. That to me was the only confusing issue. Everything else is just climbing and stretching. Good Luck !!

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 28
I recognize this is an old thread but thought it would be better for a simple related question to just add it here...

The straps come completely free from the ratchets? That wasn't obvious to me while I was trying to remove it today so I just left it 3/4 off/rolled and thought I would wait for confirmation from this crowd. Thanks

I recognize this is an old thread but thought it would be better for a simple related question to just add it here...

The straps come completely free from the ratchets? That wasn't obvious to me while I was trying to remove it today so I just left it 3/4 off/rolled and thought I would wait for confirmation from this crowd. Thanks

Yep - they come completely free. The way I have mine, the strap is woven under one of the bars (I think??) so it has to come all the way out for me to remove it - but yeah they're definitely made to come completely free from the ratchets.

I found Smok'n Jay's video really helpful the first two or three (or ten) times :D

Back