• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252 Fuel tank capacity

JAELL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Just picked up my 252SD on Friday. Reading the manual cover to cover. Manual (page 186) says fuel Capacity is 75 Gal. Yamaha web site says it is 70 gallons. Not that it is a major difference, but seems like they could have gotten it right. Anyone know which one is correct?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think that the manual is the correct amount. But a simple call to yamaha, not the dealer might clear it up

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The data I got from my Yamaha marketing contact says 70 gallons. (doesnt mean its accurate, but let me know what your actual experience is...as I'll let them know to correct it if wrong).

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could always pull up the tank cover, there is always a stamp or tag with capacity

Chris4lite

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2012 242 is listed as 50 gallons on specs, but tank is stamped 55 gallons.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2012 242 is listed as 50 gallons on specs, but tank is stamped 55 gallons.
Don't these boat tanks have a reserve of 10%? That would explain the 5 gallon difference.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't these boat tanks have a reserve of 10%? That would explain the 5 gallon difference.
If these boats actually had a proper "reserve" where you could flip a valve to access a reserve capacity - this would make sense. But to install a 55 gallon tank and then to publish that it is only 50 gallons would be dumb (IMHO). I'd love to see a shot of such a label to confirm this!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Isn't there a vapor space, especially in boat gas tanks since they get awful warm and the fuel expands? I was lead to believe it could be from 5 to 10%. So by that logic it would make sense that on a 55 gallon gas tank you could only fill 50 gallons. I have not personally confirmed this.

Someone with more wisdom on the topic could chime in.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They have a vent to let vapors excape

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I know they have a vent, but I was told that there is also additionally capacity, otherwise you could fill the gas to 100% and there would be no room for vapors and expansion even though there is a vent.

Again, I was told that and it hasn't been verified.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read that at a 15 degree rise it expands only 1% not really enough to have a 5 gallon expansion reserve.

If gas expansion was 5 to 10% there could be issues with everything from tanker trucks down to your lawn mower

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I realize we're straying a little far from the original question, but I was curious so I looked up the thermal expansion of gasoline (the change in volume). It can be calculated by multiplying 0.00095 x Vol (in L) x Change in Temp (in deg C). (That 0.00095 is the coefficient of volume of expansion for gasoline.)

One (semi-extreme) example: You have a full tank of gas (50 gal, which is ~190L) and the temperature changes 60F (33.3C) from 40F at night to 100F during the day. Plug 190L and 33.3C into the equation and your increase in volume is 6.02L (~1.6 gal), which is a 3.2% increase of the original 50 gal.

To get a 10% increase, your temperature change would have to be in excess of 100C.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so lets say for the sake of argument that the gas can and will expand. I would assume there would be a cushion in the size of the gas tank. In the above example, which is quite thorough, even if the gas expands there most likely should be additional space for vapors and such after expansion. I don't think it would be a stretch to consider a 50 gal tank have 5 more gallons of room, and definitely a 70 gallon tank having 5 more gallons of room, give or take.

Something to ponder on. Whether this is the rationale behind the additional size stamped on the tanks or not.

If I didn't have the boat covered for winter, and I wasn't so sore from working on the kitchen remodeling project, which is going slower that I thought due to building inspection scheduling, I would crawl up into the boat and and take off the cover and look at what is stamped on mine.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1) I’ve put more than 50 gal of gas in the “50 gallon” tank on my boat. (I wanted to see how accurate the fuel gauge is.)
2) For cars they will subtract the volume of space the fuel pump takes up from the gross tank size to get an actual (nominal) size.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That does make sense but doubt the pumps and sender takes up 5 gallons. Maybe 1 gallon