• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255xd Any impeller upgrades? And cavitation issues.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So I pulled my pumps out today for what I thought was a little cavitation at the end of last year.
I do have a bit of scarring on both impellers (6GN-R1321-10-00).
We do try an wakesurf. But, I also like going fast. We take long rides up and down the lake (lake of the Ozarks). So we need a good all around impeller. Or new stock due to some cavitation scarring.

Is there anything better than stock?

Last edited:

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
No work done in the pump tunnel to smooth out the transitions. Als bad cavitation scarring on the impellers.

Attachments

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
As I'm waiting out the rain. I'm looking up impellers in 2020 and up 275 used staggered impellers.
but the 2021 and up 255 use just one.

• 2020 275 --- Port 6GN-R1321-10-00 // Star 6GN-R1321-20-00
  • 2021 255 --- P&S 6GN-R1321-10-00
  • 2021 275 --- Port 6GN-R1321-10-00 // Star 6GN-R1321-20-00
  • 2022 255 --- P&S 6GN-R1321-10-00
  • 2022 275 --- Port 6GN-R1321-10-00 // Star 6GN-R1321-20-00
  • 2023 255 --- P&S 6GN-R1321-10-00
  • 2023 275 --- Port 6GN-R1321-10-00 // Star 6GN-R1321-20-00
This includes 255FSH
I under stand the 275 has a wider hull but, if not for a cost saving why the change. Now should I buy staggered.

First I'm going to use a flapper wheel to blend the pickup shoe duct to the transom plate. Then smooth the normal areas with 5200.

I would just pull the pickup duct down and realign to the transom plate. But Yamaha used 5200 on everything and I do not see how the duct could be pried out with out damaging the hull.

Last edited:

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Wow, how many hours have you run to get to that point. Going to go take a closer look at mine now...

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I will have to look but, 60 or 80hrs I think.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
if I go after market who would you all look at buying from?
www.impellers.com
or
www.impros.com

I believe some of my cavitation is from the impeller slipping when punching it from a stand still. The SVHO is a bit much when the boat is not moving. The 255 does not use the 6CW that we found to work so well in the 1.8 NA twin boats.
Would you trust Solas?
Or still oem and L13 cones?
Custom re-pitch?

Last edited:

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Lil update for this thread. Just plopped 2k down on the twin impellers from solas, modded and custom pitch by leading edge impellers. David is the owner, originally owned and founded IMPROS in 1999. He's back in the game with his new company.

Gonna reseal my tunnels and check for any other areas that could be ventilating. I just 4200 my tunnels last week, helped, but still get cavitation outta the hole with additional ballast added for surfing.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Lil update for this thread. Just plopped 2k down on the twin impellers from solas, modded and custom pitch by leading edge impellers. David is the owner, originally owned and founded IMPROS in 1999. He's back in the game with his new company.

Gonna reseal my tunnels and check for any other areas that could be ventilating. I just 4200 my tunnels last week, helped, but still get cavitation outta the hole with additional ballast added for surfing.
I can't wait to here your results.
I think some of my ventilation is from how the clean out manhole plugs do not seal well. We all know that there is water sitting on top of the manhole. The only way for it to get there is when you slow down the positive water pressure in the pump tunnel forcening water past. Then under hard acceleration from a stop I believe this water to be sucked out and possibly air being sucked in too. On long runs at 3/4 to WOT if there is no water on top of the plug this may induce air into the tunnel. I need to get a gopro in there and watch the water level.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think some of my ventilation is from how the clean out manhole plugs do not seal well. We all know that there is water sitting on top of the manhole. The only way for it to get there is when you slow down the positive water pressure in the pump tunnel forcening water past. Then under hard acceleration from a stop I believe this water to be sucked out and possibly air being sucked in too. On long runs at 3/4 to WOT if there is no water on top of the plug this may induce air into the tunnel. I need to get a gopro in there and watch the water level.
i thought about that too. But if thats the case THATS A HUGE DESIGN FLAW! only other way to test is someone hold the button and keep the lid open lol.

I think if we can get the boat to hook up, no cavitation, no ventilation, progress will be made with surfing. Then we can load the boat heavier without the struggle.

I didnt really wanna spend this money but if its apart....lol

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The more likely possibility you get water on top of the plugs is that clean out tray drain can become a geyser when you slow down quickly and the wave comes up behind you. Simple fix for that is a 3/4” check valve.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The more likely possibility you get water on top of the plugs is that clean out tray drain can become a geyser when you slow down quickly and the wave comes up behind you. Simple fix for that is a 3/4” check valve.
This does sound posable but I used some O-ring lube on the plugs. After a 15min ride to the beach I found that the lube had been apparently pushed out at a pretty fast rate. The lube was all over in little clumps. From the top of the clean out tray down to the handle of the clean out plug. But one clean out riser was 1/4 full and the other was 1/2 full. But yet the clumps of lube were all the way up. I have also been running around and found the the plugs riser tube almost empty. I just need to get a camera in there to see exactly how and what is going on.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
if I go after market who would you all look at buying from?
www.impellers.com
or
www.impros.com

I believe some of my cavitation is from the impeller slipping when punching it from a stand still. The SVHO is a bit much when the boat is not moving. The 255 does not use the 6CW that we found to work so well in the 1.8 NA twin boats.
Would you trust Solas?
Or still oem and L13 cones?
Custom re-pitch?
I had Impros re pitch a set of Solas impellers for high altitude…I have at least 100 hours on them. I really wanted Skat Traks as they were significantly quieter but they are out of business now.

If you are only getting cavitation when you punch it from a stand still and its momentary I don’t think I’d be worrying it. I had zero cav with the oem impellers by punching it from a stand still, but the high altitude impellers will cavitate if I do that, then as the boat gets moving I can feel them hook up. Solution? Just roll the throttles on, quickly mind you, and there is no cavitation.

Side note; In the side by side test that JBP did between the scarab and 255 FSH and they do a drag race from a standstill you can hear the Yamaha cavitate momentarily after he slammed the throttles down.

My port side clean out well will be part full and the starboard full after a session of sport boating. For a while I was trying to figure it out, now I just go out and use the boat and not worry about it. If you’re getting cavitation at low speed bow up you’ll feel it in the deck and you’ll hear it. My suggestion would be that unless you can feel and or hear it, just go out and enjoy your boat.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Did you get the double stacked impellers in yet?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Did you get the double stacked impellers in yet?
Nope, just got invoiced. So I'm sure I'll see em soon. Then gotta take everything apart lol

Cobrakidd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Im looking to get the same impellers. Interested in seeing the results

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jacoviii would 195 impellers not work in your boat? Switching to 19ft impellers in my boat made a huge difference.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@jacoviii would 195 impellers not work in your boat? Switching to 19ft impellers in my boat made a huge difference.
I do not know for sure. I would have to do some research. The 21+ 255 have a different pump setup and are more of a true 160mm unit.
edit
now with a bit more digging the 20+ 195 use the 6GN-R1321-10-00 also with the new 160mm pump.