• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Aftermarket hydraulic steering

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I was at my local Bass Pro shop over the weekend and had a chance to play with the new bass boats. That hydraulic steering they have is perfectly smooth and instantaneous. I'd like to know if there's a system out there we can fit into our jet boats? And ideas people? Thank you, Russell

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No complete kits that I have seen but you could build your own, I have been chewing on this in the back of my mind for a few months now. I would only do so I could add auto pilot to my boat, but its not worth the money to change it out to me. The issue is even the boats with OEM Hydraulic Steering still have cables that connect to the nozzles then connect to the hydraulic actuators, so you still have that point of failure. It would just be a matter of replacing the steering wheel with a hydraulic model, adding hydraulic pump and actuator then building something to connect adapt the cables to the actuators.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
hydraulic helms have been around for a long time I had one I put on a 19 foot boat that I converted to a sea drive years ago but costly and really not going to do a lot of good on a jet nozzle placing fangs on the nozzles is a lot less expensive and it helps to turn the steering and the wheel even Yamaha is doing it to the 19 foot rudders and on twin engine boats with a rudder they use a rack and pinion helm .

1669064537947.jpeg1669064585354.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Actually you don’t need the pump unless you want power assist and auto pilot.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'd pay anything to get a hydraulic conversion kit for my 212x..Around the dock effortless smooth..towing a tube with pressure on those nozzles..real difficult. In 2001, converted my 18' Wellcraft center console to hydraulic when I added a 150 Johnson. Best mod ever..
I'm thinking about replacing my helm steering.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can upgrade to the newer system, which increases the gear ratio of the steering system, making it a bit easier to turn the wheel, but as a result you will have to turn the wheel further to get the same degree of steering. Had I not replaced the steering cables on mine a couple years ago, I'd be tempted to do it. It requires a new steering gearbox under the helm, new cables, and drilling a large hole in the side of the helm compartment for the cables to pass through. Not sure if anything else is needed, but those items for sure. I made a note on my phone that I copied from someone else who did it. I'll try to find the info on it, and post it up.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, here’s the conversation I saved on my phone with a guy who did it. Someone else did it, and documented it on the old YJB website. If you do proceed with it, document it, and give us a rundown of parts used, and how it all goes for you.

Boat steering conversion

It uses parts (steering box and cables) from a 242 Limited S. The process is described on Yamaha Jet Boaters forum. Makes the steering nice and light.

IIRC it cost in the neighborhood of $800? The cables are the most expensive part.

Here's a list of parts for the conversion:

F3F-U1470-00-00 Cable set

F3F-U151A-00-00 Pinion Mechanism Set

F3F-U1400-00-00 Tilt Steering Mount <-- I ended up not needing this, my stock tilt was the same.

One small detail: the cables exit the steering to the right from the rack instead of forward like the stock cables. Not an issue on newer boats since the steering console seems to be molded as one piece with the inner hull, but in my 2005 they ran straight into the side of the console. I had to cut a hole to pass the cables through, IIRC it was around 3". Ended up putting some caulk and a slit rubber tube to make sure moisture wasn't getting into the fiberglass.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm going for the rack and pinion steering route. I've found the rack for tilt wheels on Ebay and the cables from The Great Lakes skipper's website.
My only real issue now is just what length of dual cable is needed for a 21 foot boat? My stock steering cables are 16 feet. I'm guessing I'll need
another (2-3) feet for the rerouting of the newer cables. So I'm looking at 19 footers for my boat. If anyone has info to share please do so.
Thanks, Russell

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wouldn't the rack and pinion reduce the cable lengths? Instead of starting out running toward the front of the boat, and circling around to head back, the rack would start them out facing starboard, and they just have to make a 90 degree turn toward the back, which should drop 2-3 feet from the length. Unless I'm not following your plan here...? When you say rack and pinion, are you referring to the conversion I posted?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It just hit me, your cables travel down the center of the boat, don't they? Mine travel down the starboard side, thus the confusion.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
That's the ticket. My oem cables run straight down the center flooring. I bit the bullet and ordered a set from SBT (OEM 212X - 2018 ED. cables.) According to their website the newer cable is 16 feet 5 inches long. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it's long enough.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was going to suggest them They usually have a lot of parts there way less expensive than most places including pump parts nylon liners and housings for those bearing sets for the pumps and even the complete intermediate bearing setups. to name a few things. they also have good warranties as well.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, this all brings back to my memory another of the reasons I've been holding off on the conversion. Since my cables run down the starboard side, I've got one 18' and one 19' cable. I don't think I can get the rack and pinion system with different length cables, which might create a problem with things. I'd like to believe it's still doable, but I'll worry about it when I have more steering cable issues.