• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amateur hour...

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
So got the boat in the water for the first time this season on Saturday. Used no wake to get out of the marina but did not seem as responsive. Hit the open water and throttled up to 6k rpm. Lots of noise but only 5mph. Bad thoughts of expensive maintenance bills started to pop into my head, but then a realization that I had pulled the clean out plugs at the end of the last season. Checked the plugs and sure enough they were not installed. Screwed them in and all is well. A big Duh! for me and a lesson learned. Had a great few days on the boat including watching the Jones Beach air show from the ocean. Next time I go out I will have to refuel...

We have all been there...

A friend of mine and I were at a fishing tournament and he launched me. As I backed away from the ramp mostly from the little push my friend gave me with the trailer and the wind was stating to push the boat towards shore i throttled up and there was much noise and no movement. I had enough time to get one plug in and motor out to deeper water where I put the other plug in…. So you are not alone !

So got the boat in the water for the first time this season on Saturday. Used no wake to get out of the marina but did not seem as responsive. Hit the open water and throttled up to 6k rpm. Lots of noise but only 5mph. Bad thoughts of expensive maintenance bills started to pop into my head, but then a realization that I had pulled the clean out plugs at the end of the last season. Checked the plugs and sure enough they were not installed. Screwed them in and all is well. A big Duh! for me and a lesson learned. Had a great few days on the boat including watching the Jones Beach air show from the ocean. Next time I go out I will have to refuel...

Cool to see another local. I go to zach's bay all the time. I didn't know the air show was only Fri, Sat, Sun. I went on Monday and was disappointed that my guests couldn't experience it from the water. I usually don't pay attention anyway because I've been going all my life

It's a rite of passage

So when we leave our slip/marina I never take it out of wake mode for at least ten minutes as I roll along waiting for the oil to get up to temp and the motors to get ready to be thrashed. On Sunday I did exactly the same except we had another couple with us and I was in wake mode for probably 30 minutes as we putted along and reached a spot on the lake where we were going to float for a bit...

When I shut the engines off, I realized that I did not put the plugs in before I left the slip! I opened the cover expecting to see that the entire boot had been flushed with water, but to my amazement it was all bone dry. I put the plugs in...glad the Captain didn't ask me what I was doing...

It's a rite of passage
Uhm, I thought the rite of passage was not putting your drain plug back in. LOL!!! Won't forget that one. Actually there are so many with these boats...

Haha no one is except ?

Last edited:
The only guy I ever saw that happen to seems to hide out in my mirror.

Remember after you hook up the battery backwards that you will have to replace the fuse for the radio. Or so I've heard ?

Did this 1x. Good news is once you realize it, it will never happen again. Now you know to double check and if for any reason your not getting thrust, it’s the first thing to check.

Oh, you poor poor fool! You know you've just jinxed yourself, right? ???
Lol, I know it’s easy to forget to put them back in, but at least this time if you start throttling it up to 5000 RPM and you’re only going 5 mph it “should” immediately hit you what’s wrong instead of traveling a half hour with no plugs.

I've not done it yet, but I leave my plugs in. To prevent sticking, I spray my plugs with silicone lubricant every couple of weeks during the summer, and again for storage and spring maintenance. I leave my plugs in all summer (except to pull for weeds and lubing), and pull them in the fall for storage. This way my plugs are never out when I want to use my boat.

Tie a short piece of bright paracord or old ratchet strap, ribbon ect. to the little clip under the clean out plug hatch, when you pull the plugs out after each trip, lay the plugs across the tube holes and pull the cord out (still one end tied of under the hatch) and lay the end out on the deck, close the hatch. When you go out next time the bright cord/ribbon will remind you to put the plugs in, then toss the end of the rope/ribbon back under the hatch. Kinda like one of these things for pilots. Simple and i have not forgotten to put the plugs in....again :).
1660313607196.png

Back