• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchoring your boat when on a houseboat vacation

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m kinda liking the inflatable buoy balls more and more. Might have to snag a couple for this coming season.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good to know. I doubt we will be anchoring our in the main channel, but I know I’ve got at least 50’ of lead on my anchor. I presume that will be enough for what we will be doing?
Most of the western end of the lake is deeper than that unless in a small cove or near the head of a creek. It is 65’ under my slip in Caney Creek. Don’t drop your keys overboard 😜

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most of the western end of the lake is deeper than that unless in a small cove or near the head of a creek. It is 65’ under my slip in Caney Creek. Don’t drop your keys overboard 😜

We will be more toward the eastern side. Renting from Conley Bottom, so I really don’t expect to be getting too far west. That said, I need to check my anchor rope length. Don’t want to run any risks with that. Thanks for the heads up

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
lol, holy smokes, I don't think my anchor locker will fit that much rope! But, seems like a good deal. I figure if my anchor line is shorter than 100', I'll probably look to purchase something.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Always buy more than you need and use the 3 to 1 rule, if the anchor sits at 75ft, you will want 225ft of rope.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, familiar with the 3 to 1, but I just got this boat in September, so still figuring out how the PO has it set up. One other thing I plan to do is add a length of chain to the anchor. No chain at all currently. Might even spring for a new anchor, but haven’t decided on that yet.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, familiar with the 3 to 1, but I just got this boat in September, so still figuring out how the PO has it set up. One other thing I plan to do is add a length of chain to the anchor. No chain at all currently. Might even spring for a new anchor, but haven’t decided on that yet.
If you are anchoring the boat overnight you might want to increase the scope, depending on the weather.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've seen a lot of people swearing by the box anchor, is it much better than a decent fluke anchor? Currently have a navy anchor, and I'd like to move it to the rear, and get a better one for up front.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've seen a lot of people swearing by the box anchor, is it much better than a decent fluke anchor? Currently have a navy anchor, and I'd like to move it to the rear, and get a better one for up front.
It depends on the bottom. I have switched to box anchor exclusively and it holds in our mud, silt or rocky shoal bottoms. Might be different in the lakes you boat in. When I had the Yamaha I had both the danforth style and box and would use both depending on how I wanted the boat to sit. The nice thing about the box is they don't require chain rode and they don't take up much room when collapsed.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, seems like the two nicest things (for me) about the box anchor is that they don’t require a chain, and they are supposed to operate with just a 2 to 1 scope. My anchor locker has saddles built in for a fluke anchor storage, but maybe I’d be happier with a box anchor.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I kept my original fluke anchor when I got my box. Completely happy with the box, but there are bottoms on which it is better and ones that I understand it is not. I boat in silt and mud and it is wonderful. But if I go to sand or rocks, I want to be prepared... Plus, if you lose an anchor, always good to have a backup. Why not make it a backup of another type and over yourself both directions?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. Since my boat came with a poly coated navy anchor, and a useless mushroom anchor, I’m trying to decide between a fluke anchor and a box anchor, and make the navy anchor my backup/rear anchor. Long goal is exactly what you’ve got, a fluke and box anchor, but I’ve been spending a crapload on the boat this winter, and need to settle down a little.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tie off directly to the side of the houseboat, as far back as possible. You can also tie off to the far outside anchor lines depending on distance to shore and where the anchor points are on the houseboat. See the photos for different ideas.
This is how we do ours until there's a heavy wind event. We have had a few situations where the anchor lines get so tight that part of the boat tries to go under the anchor line.

If your houseboat has been equipped with Winlass Anchoring, then you just pull your boat up right to the side of the houseboat and use the houseboat cleats with some fenders just like you would moore to a dock. Most houseboats don't have that, though.

I typically drop a heavy anchor in the bay that all of my float toys hook to with a large round fender/buoy above it and then I float a line to another buoy that I use for attaching to the bow eye of my boat and back up to the houseboat with a retrieval line... making sure that the boat under power can't make it to the houseboat.

This said... especially on lakes like Lake Powell (where JBehrens pictures were from) you can get afternoon wind events that are 50+ MPH and any form of close proximity mooring can be an issue (except with the winlass anchor option, that works pretty well).

Be VERY careful of your tower if you're mooring to the houseboat... all it takes is a ballast filled wake boat going too fast to cause your tower to wreck the houseboat slide.

For reference, I manage (and hold the title for) a shared owner houseboat slipped in Wahweap Marina in Page, AZ and run into this sort of question with half of all of my owners. There are TONS of tips and tricks when it comes to being up lake on a houseboat that you'd never think about (like using the shop vac to pump up your inflatables).

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When house boating up on Lake Shasta, I always tried to put the houseboat on the leeward side of the houseboat. The first year I'd set the anchor away from the boat and then tied a 30' line to it. In the first pic below, you can see we used a float toy to shuttle between the boats (and it also added to the leisurely pace when swimming back there).

After the first year, I used an anchor buddy on a small mushroom anchor and would use that to pull the Yamaha away from the houseboat and I put a small fender on it so I could retrieve it as needed. This seemed to work pretty well overall. In the second picture, you can see the yellow ball fender marking the anchor buddy. I'd basically pull up to it, have someone clip it to the tow hook, and then back up to the houseboat. That seemed to work pretty well...as I just needed something to keep the Yamaha away from the Houseboat.

Attachments

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am trying to keep my options open, and not dial in too much on one single idea of how I want to do it, but so far, I do like the idea of tying off to the side as far back as possible. I'll likely have to tie the houseboat off using the second cleat from the rear to give me enough space on the side for my boat. Crapload of fenders, about 5' of line on the front and rear cleat, and an anchor buddy on the other side center, pulling the boat away from the houseboat. If there's a storm, I'll probably reassess, but in my head, it's probably going to be option number one for calm waters.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I tie off directly to the side of the houseboat, as far back as possible. You can also tie off to the far outside anchor lines depending on distance to shore and where the anchor points are on the houseboat. See the photos for different ideas.
Agree. I tie off to the anchor line coming off the stern of the houseboat. Use a Prusik knot. it will slide on the houseboat anchor line so you can adjust it but when pressure is applied it will bite and wont move. use a prusik knot on a bow cleat and a prusik knot on a stern cleat.

Attachments

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree. I tie off to the anchor line coming off the stern of the houseboat. Use a Prusik knot. it will slide on the houseboat anchor line so you can adjust it but when pressure is applied it will bite and wont move. use a prusik knot on a bow cleat and a prusik knot on a stern cleat.
Hey I recognize that boat! TwilightShadows was the first houseboat our group bought into

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When my friends and I stayed at Lake Powell a couple of years ago I used a Med tie set up. Meaning, main anchor a ways out from shore and the bow tied off to it, and then two small anchors, one on each stern cleat, then on the shore at a 45* angle to each side. I tied three fenders together then used a monkey fist know to tie the anchor rode to the fenders and tossed all of the rode into the water. When would take off for the day I’d just toss the two stern anchor roses onto the shore, and put the main anchor rode overboard, the fenders were holding the main anchor rode. Then use my hook stick to grab the main rode and tie it off to the bow cleat than back down towards the shore and re tie the stern anchors. This set up held the boat fast in 70 mph gusts.