• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Keel Guard success story and some advice is needed.

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So here I am waxing my boat getting her ready for the season and I notice a dark spot on the keel guard. I climb under and bingo, a worrying dent!

NJ5MTAlh.jpg

ze1dw8ih.jpg

Now I'm sweating. Im trying to think we this could have happened but I have no idea. It's sits over the trailer cross member so it was hard to see if it was there before dropping her off for storage but there's no way for me to confirm. The lake was very low last year so I guess I could have hit something but wouldnt there be damage somewhere else on the keelguard?

I peel her back a bit and she's absolutely fine.
O25oQz4h.jpg

Now my question is if its a good idea to glue the keelguard back and if so with what? theres only about 4 inches not glued down as I cut into her about 15 inches back from the end. Salvageable?

PqFZmtuh.jpg

...and if not, they will certainly know best how to reattach.

I'll second the comments above....

But dear God man - clean that haul!! :yuck:
Hell you'll probably gain a few mph with just a good scrubbing.

I'm putting my KeelGaurd on in a few day. I'm a little nervous to get it right I must admit. Great success story!

I have had big chunks in my Keel Guard twice and they have sent me a new one both times, no questions asked.

@twentiesforever Great pictures! With those pictures they would be seriously mistaken not to send you a free replacement. The KeelGuard did its job - very nicely documented.

--

Question, the adhesive is proving to be incredibly difficult to remove. With a new keel guard on its way, can I just glue it over the old adhesive?

What did Keelguard recommend about removal of the old glue?

They said plastic putty knife and some heat if needed. They also said it would take an hours time. Yea right. I just don't have another 10 hours to put in lying on my back. I'm tempted to just roll the new one on and take my chances. Its not like I can make it worse.

Another great mod to get to do soon. Just ordered an 8' white keelguard. You guys have all been great resources and a curse for me to want to spend money..haha

They said plastic putty knife and some heat if needed. They also said it would take an hours time. Yea right. I just don't have another 10 hours to put in lying on my back. I'm tempted to just roll the new one on and take my chances. Its not like I can make it worse.

So what did you end up doing?

Another great mod to get to do soon. Just ordered an 8' white keelguard. You guys have all been great resources and a curse for me to want to spend money..haha

Yeah....one thing about the forum is you'll find many cool/creative ideas for ways to spend your money!

Back