• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

another reason to have a jet boat

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Went out to Belews Lake today at 5:00. It gets crowded on weekends, with alot of boaters. Some who could use a course on boating safety. When pulling in to marina we saw two sherrif cars. Asked what was going on. A man was aparently standing on the bow of a pontoon boat taking a picture, when his wife hit reverse, dumping him in the lake, she then panicked and put in in forward and ran him over. Luckily the spinning propeller only hit his foot. It was still pretty bad and he is in serious condition at the hospital. So many things are wrong with this whole picture.

Always something exciting out there. We'll tell ya all about "tater island" one day. We stayed out there til about 8:30 today.

Went out to Belews Lake today at 5:00. It gets crowded on weekends, with alot of boaters. Some who could use a course on boating safety. When pulling in to marina we saw two sherrif cars. Asked what was going on. A man was aparently standing on the bow of a pontoon boat taking a picture, when his wife hit reverse, dumping him in the lake, she then panicked and put in in forward and ran him over. Luckily the spinning propeller only hit his foot. It was still pretty bad and he is in serious condition at the hospital. So many things are wrong with this whole picture.

Looks like we missed all the fun at the marina today. @veedubtek. We spend all day on the beach close to the power plant

I was out on the water till 8:00. I was pretty much all over the lake. Had my eyes out for you guys. Must've just missed you. were yall past the buoy s by thr power plant?

We were across from the little island with the large Sandy beach before you get to the buoys.

Had similar happen in Utah recently too.

http://fox13now.com/2015/08/01/wake...utah-lake-taken-to-hospital-with-lacerations/

UTAH LAKE, Utah — Provo Fire and Rescue responded to Utah Lake boat harbor Saturday after a man who was wakeboarding was run over by a boat.

According to Provo Fire and Rescue, a 22-year-old male was wakeboarding when he was, “run over by an inexperience[d] boat driver.”

The man was hit by the boat operated by the group he was out on the lake with, and officials said he had two large lacerations on his lower right leg in the calf area.

Capt. Dean York, Provo Fire and Rescue, did not have an exact condition for the injured man but said he was taken to a hospital and that his wounds will require stitches. He said there is a possibility of nerve damage but said the wounds do not appear to have affected the bone.

Nah, both blue @jet set . As you start to enter the plant area, that cove opens to the left where the small island is. We were in the corner beach there.

probably his fault......sorry, uncalled for

Even with jets this could have ended badly (bashing your skull or body with hull, unconscious and drown, lots of things can go wrong on this situation). Hopefully the guy pulls through ok. I'm sure his wife feels horrible.

I hate for anyone to have any kind of accident or problems with boats, bikes or cars. Things can happen so fast and of course nobody is expecting anything to happen.

Im thinking she over-reacted on the throttle just a tad...

image.jpg

Have there been any accidents like this with Jet Boat's? Hopefully not but I would worry what the intakes might do to someone. Definitely would depend on where the throttle is at.

Someone posted a few years back their their child (daughter I think) was sitting on the edge of the bow (shouldn't have been) while they were moving (a fast no wake speed) and they hit a wake/wave and she fell over backwards into the water and the boat ran her over. She had a PFD on and popped out behind the boat without a scratch. The member said if it had been a prop....it would have been really really bad.....

Lesson learned.....no sitting on the gunwales while underway!!!

Have there been any accidents like this with Jet Boat's? Hopefully not but I would worry what the intakes might do to someone. Definitely would depend on where the throttle is at.
I would imagine someone with long hair could potentially get their hair sucked up into the intake grates, just like a rope or anything else that passes underneath. I've seen a video that shows shallow draft of these boats and jet skis on sand and there was a visible strong vortex directly under the intake. I'm not sure if there has even been an accident like that but it's definitely possible. My concern would be the hull slicing my head open or being knocked out and last would be the intake.

Regardless if it's a prop or jet, nobody should be hanging around in dangerous areas of the boat no matter the speed. A sudden wave, slip of the throttle, loss of balance, etc and that's all it takes. Accidents happen fast. Yes jet boats are safer than props in that regards but as the old saying goes, "sh#! happens". Same holds true for jet boats as they are not made of bubble wrap and soft cozy fur. I'm sure the parties involved on this accident learned a valuable lesson, albeit the hard way.

Last edited:
Back