• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anybody did this to their Bimini?

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Came across this while searching for a fix to our "too much watersports equipment , not enough storage" problem (we have two pairs of skis, two wakeboards, surfboard, kneeboard, and tubes).It looks like a slick idea but without additional support I wonder if the Bimini could carry the weight in rough water? Or if the Oem Bimini material is thick enough? They referred to it as a Bimini surf pocket in some of the wakeboat forums..
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I haven't done it. I am seriously considering figuring out a way to do it though! I can't sew, so I would have to have someone else do it. I think the bimini would support it.

I don't know @farrelltravis , the additional weight on top of the bimini will add mass at the extent of the legs, and that additional mass moving back and forth may weaken the points of connection and the fittings themselves. Just my thought...but that is on the SX models that I am referring to, the tower boats with bimini supported on one end by a tower have much greater lateral support.

I am no engineer by any means. I have a surfboard. I feel it doesn't weigh that much. I really don't know how much though. But, it can't weigh more than the - at any given time - four to six water-soaked life jackets we have hanging off of the bimini at times. The bimini seems to handle the extra weight of the water logged life jackets while driving around the lake.

I agree the bimini is not designed to hold surfboards. But, I think it could. Just my $0.02.

I tried to find out how much my actual surfboard weighs, but I couldn't find it. I found where the "shipping" weight is 9 pounds. I would only assume that the 9 pounds includes the box and the packing material too.

9 pounds? Wow, that is light! Just remember though, 9 pounds in your hand is easy to manage...9 pounds on the end of a pole provides a great deal of pressure on the shaft length of the pole when force is applied 90 degrees to it. My bimini has always wobbled side to side. Less when fully deployed, but waves or lateral acceleration puts a load on it. So any added weight on it will multiply the load exponentially. It may handle it fine Travis, but consider it on a boat without tower support...and remember, I am pretty conservative. I even stopped running in rough water, or trailering with the bimini up on the support legs but folded...because of that lateral swaying really was hard on it I felt.

Weigh yourself on a scale. Now while still standing on it, grab the board and subtract the difference in weight.

My scale can't recognize a small difference of say...10 pounds:winkingthumbsup" Otherwise, I would have to go on a diet too often!:p

Weighing the surfboard would be no problem. I am just not with the surfboard right now and can't weigh it.

Mel, I understand what you are saying. Putting anything, including say a towel, adds more stress to the bimini. There is no question on that.

I have seen two different boats with these "pockets", but both boats had towers where basically the weight rested on the tower. I don't know think that will work with our boats because of the position of the tower in relation to the back seat and step down ( I think there is a head clearance problem if they rest primarily on the tower) and I think the two bars that make up the top of the tower are two close together. At least the way I have seen it done just probably wont work with my boat/tower set up. But I would be curious what the collective knowledge of this site comes up with.

I was looking at as a way to increase storage. We already have a rack for the wakeboards but am looking for a solution for the surf board and knee board. I do have the oem tower on my boat, and I'm giving serious consideration to doing this. I like the thought of storage that doesn't block your view. I'm not a big fan of the "pockets" made from the net material though.
Some more photos..
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

@007 posted a pic of his, couldn't find it in a quick search, but I know it's there

It's not just the weight, its the impulse generated by a sudden acceleration, say when you hit a wake or bounce in chop that would add additional force to the bimini structure..... that being said, I can't wait to find out how this works! :winkingthumbsup"

Just some of my random thoughts: By the pictures, it appears as though the bimini is part of the tower. In which case, I would think there would be little to no issue in having the surfboard pockets. For the bimini appears to go over the tower. The tower is the major supporting factor here it. The fabric should be strong enough to hold boards in place. There should probably be some reinforcement stitching/fabric for the pockets. Now, if it is was just a bimini top alone (no tower), I think it would come down to what material is the frame made out - aluminum or stainless steel - is there additional cross bracing to keep it from moving side to side and is there additional reinforcing to the fiberglass where the frame attaches to the boat.

Back