• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone do a push button start?

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is our first boat, but im sure ive been on boats before that have push button starts (kinda like some of the nicer cars have). Is this something anyone has done or seen on our boats before?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is our first boat, but im sure ive been on boats before that have push button starts (kinda like some of the nicer cars have). Is this something anyone has done or seen on our boats before?
I'm not sure I'd want that in a boat. My 18 month old grandson is a button pushing ninja. He pushes all the buttons he can find. I'm also wondering what would prevent theft? Maybe a key fob like the cars? If you're concerned about key loss I hide a set on the boat and another set in my truck.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All of the boats that I've seen with push button start also have a key or code pad to activate the start button. Theft is not an issue.

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you do this. Please write it up. It might be a cool mod. If you don't go with a key pad you might be able to do a hidden toggle or keyed switch to activate the buttons.

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So would you have a button for each motor? I have always thought about one key and having momentary toggle switches for each motor but it seems more work then its worth.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So would you have a button for each motor? I have always thought about one key and having momentary toggle switches for each motor but it seems more work then its worth.
Then you would loose some of the redundancy that you want with a twin engine. With the current design if one ignition switch fails you can still run on the other engine.

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I was planning on still leaving the keys there, and in the "on" position when you wanted to start the boat; the difference would be instead of cranking the engines with the key, it would be with a button.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was planning on still leaving the keys there, and in the "on" position when you wanted to start the boat; the difference would be instead of cranking the engines with the key, it would be with a button.
I believe, by leaving the keys in the on position, the ignition circuit, fuel sender & depth guage would all be hot which would drain the battery.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just resurrecting this older thread because I'm considering push button start to replace failing key ignition switches (black goo, spinning, etc.). New ones are $200 and it seems you could do push button for less. I'm not interested in a circuit board that starts the two engines in sequence or anything like that. Just switch/button for each engine for the key/on/acc position and momentary button/switch for start. If there is something that combines this in one switch/button for each engine even better.

There are 5 wires and assume a ground, on, off, pair for start. If someone has the diagram that would be great or if some have done it on the older boats even better. I did a search and see some conversation but nobody that has done it other than something more complex.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
How about of these? Check eBay or amazon you can find them for $15-30

F0E2AD3A-B715-4E2E-87DA-06ADA33C6682.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought someone here developed a push button start mod and posted about it. @Mainah was it you? However, this mod may only be applicable to yamaha’s With the connext system. It not on my list of mods, just not willing to spend the time, effort and money so that I can push a button v. Turning a key.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It appears that @scokill does not want to the automatic method. That being the case one needs a double pole 3 position switch for each engine. The one @the MfM linked above is exactly what yamaha uses in our boats. Shows that the markup is nuts.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It appears that @scokill does not want to the automatic method. That being the case one needs a double pole 3 position switch for each engine. The one @the MfM linked above is exactly what yamaha uses in our boats. Shows that the markup is nuts.
Correct. Automatic method not appealing and I didn't look totally but want to do away with keys....but the above posts by MfM are intriguing with a couple of options.