• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anyone ever install their own snap on cover?

TimmyH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm s handy person but my wife isn't fond of me proposing to drill a bunch of holes in a brand new boat and install a snap on cover. Any every try this?

I understand your wife's concern! That being said, and never having done it myself, like anything with your boat just take your time. I would use a good 3M sealant/ adhesive (5200) on each snap. Good luck! BTW... Do you already have the cover? If not have you considered the OEM mooring cover? No snaps and works very well!

I did it last year! Wasn’t that bad at all for me. I started on the front and found the middle of the front mirror and then lined up each snap from there. Would do 2 on each side at a time to make sure I was keeping the spacing correct. Just make sure when you drill into the fiberglass you drill in reverse and somewhat slow. I then hand screwed the snaps in to be safe. The screws come with plastic seals so no need to put any adhesive down that I can think of. Just be patient and it’ll come out great!43E85536-94CB-4913-A3D7-ED3C4C783EF6.jpeg
A5551CA6-62CE-4F58-AC89-3C04410B42EA.jpeg
92F7DFD1-A22C-472B-846A-0936B8975094.jpeg

If you haven't started this already, buy the OEM cover. Worth every penny. No ugly snaps. Can be used when mooring. Excellent for trailering.
For us it’s much easier to handle the snap cover in our slip, and might be the same situation here.

Well, after drilling a hole through a drainpipe installing ethernet cable from gatage to house my wife forbids me to install this myself. I prefer the 2 piece snap on cover system. Love the fact I can button up the bow on colder rides. And use the snaps to eventually extend the bimini downwards to protect the elements (boated through many rain storms). The shipping cover comes with boat, I'll deal with that until I have snap on installed

If you haven't started this already, buy the OEM cover. Worth every penny. No ugly snaps. Can be used when mooring. Excellent for trailering.
Exactly my thought! I love the clean look of my boat with no snaps. I'm going to have to back into my slip for installing the factory cover but no biggie.

I installed a bow cover on my first Yamaha - LX 210. Wasn't hard, but takes two people to get it aligned well. On my 2nd Yamaha (SX 230) I have a shop do it when I installed both bow, cockpit and camper covers. On my 3rd Yamaha I have only used the full Yamaha mooring cover, but would enjoy a split bow and cockpit cover.

So I've always had separate bow and cockpit covers but from I've read the mooring cover is nice and keeps water out better. So those of you that's had both styles, what did you prefer? My boat will be mainly tailored and garage kept outside of camping and projects in garage. Is the shipping cover a long term solution?

I’ve a the full Yamaha mooring cover and can vouch for its ability to protect your boat, mines in the full, summer, Florida sun and now five years old and still going strong.
However, I too want to get some snap covers for the convenience, just to keep the cockpit clean. The full cover does take a little time as I’m on a boat lift.

I've had both and prefered my snap on bow and cockpit covers....why:
  • Easier to put on the boat when in a slip (and mine is slipped all summer)
  • The fabric I had them make my bow and cockpit covers was WAY thicker, stronger and robust than any Yamaha cover I've owned.
  • Being able to just put on the bow cover when its cool out was a major plus (especially when I lived up north with a shorter boating season)
  • I had a camper cover made at the same time that also included a windshield to bimini isinglass that re-used the same snaps as the cockpit cover. This was awesome if/when we got caught out in the rain.

Last edited:
I would like to have the ability to have either but dislike the snaps. I wish they could figure out a different way to fasten bow and cockpit covers that was a cleaner look.. My Premier pontoon had a rail/clip system that was AWESOME!!! No snaps but had the full cover. The cover itself had finger like clips that would grab a slot that ran the entire way around one of the rails on the playpen. If Yamaha could only figure out how to do that with the rub rail.

I would like to have the ability to have either but dislike the snaps. I wish they could figure out a different way to fasten bow and cockpit covers that was a cleaner look..
Yeah...I know lots of people don't like the snaps. I found that once they were on for a while I stopped noticing them.

Thanx for the feedback. This is a tough choice, talking 1200 for Sunbrella custom 2 piece snap on cover or about 1k for premium yamaha mooring cover. By boat is garage kept and trailered. Like the protection of mooring cover but the convenience of snap on, but it would be cool not to have snaps

Thanx for the feedback. This is a tough choice, talking 1200 for Sunbrella custom 2 piece snap on cover or about 1k for premium yamaha mooring cover. By boat is garage kept and trailered. Like the protection of mooring cover but the convenience of snap on, but it would be cool not to have snaps

This is very similar to our use case, not slipped so that benefit of snaps is void, also depending on your boat, it may have a closeable wind block for those colder days.

Honestly, not having snaps is one of my favourite things about this boat. Yeah, I know that sounds like an excessive statement, but I truly do comment to my wife about how much I love our mooring cover over the snap on kind multiple times a week all summer long....

She is convinced I’m crazy, which I may be, but I love that cover

I would likely never go back....

You should be able to pick up the Yamaha cover for about 800.

880 plus tax for black Yami cover, 780 for cheaper one. Custom snap on ranges from 900-1250

How's installation of mooring cover vs snap on when out of water?

Well, I decided to go with the black premium cover. Dealer knocked off a few bucks. Kinda want to try the look with no snaps for a change. 13 days till pickup. Hopefully old boat will be gone by then too

Had snap on covers on last i/o boat and really liked it, I could also trailer with those on.
New to me SX210 last year came with snap on covers.
Checked with manufacturer and they said you should not trailer with those on.
Problem for me is sometimes we trailer the boat on vacation or go 2 hours away and I don't like the idea of the boat getting soaked in a rain storm with no cover.
So I also bought the mooring cover, which I find difficult to install but I can trailer with it on.
Also bought a $150 classic accessory cover as well.
I use this over my bow and cockpit covers when I keep the boat on the trailer in the open weather....helps with messy trees and bird crap.
Had bad experience trailoring with a classic accessory cover in the past....the straps scratched the gel coat from blowing in the 65mph wind.
3 covers is excessive yes.....the positive part is my sx210 has lots of storage....when we use the boat I jamb all three sets of covers in the port and starboard rear storage areas and it help quiet the noisy boat!
The noise of these yamaha jet boats is by far my biggest complaint.

Back