• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone fish Long Island Sound?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going striper fishing this weekend for Stripers but will settle for anything at this point. I've been out a few times in the past but never got much except for a few blues. Any help would be appreciated, be willing to reward you with a free fishing trip?

No one ? Please help me, just wanna catch a dam striper!!!

Used to go fishing there in a Boston Whaler for Blue fish....35 years ago.....I'm no help! Good luck....whats wrong with Blue Fish!

Where are you heading out of and where are you planning on going? It's been a long time but I grew up spending my time on Long Island Sound. We always used to fish "The Race" the body of water between Fishers Island and Plum Island because the current would bring in bait fish that the bigger fish would feed on.

Heading out of Old Saybrook. Did the race last year with not much luck, no one was doing much there. I was told the area around two tree island and Bartletts reef were good to try this year. I'm good with blues also but I've caught them already, hoping for some stripers this year.

I grew up on Long Island, but down around the Great South Bay. My ex- BIL used to bring home quite a few stripers back in the day...not sure where or how he caught 'em.
Wish I could give you some tips, but the only stripers I was going after back then were Candy Stripers!

image.jpg

:winkingthumbsup"

Well I didn't specify the kind of stripers I wanted but I guess the kind that doesn't come with any jail time.

I also read in some of the fishing reports that the mouths of the major rivers are still good places to catch stripers. Since you are heading out of Old Saybrook you could start at the mouth of the CT river and then maybe head over to the Thames. I don't know what the season is like up there, but as the waters get warmer the stripers will move out of the sound, I imagine that has probably started to some degree. Also, I don't know what the restrictions are for fishing for stripers this time of year but if you aren't going to be trolling with umbrella rigs and swim shads I would live-line if it is allowed. Usually we would fish for a bunch of spot (probably chunked bunker in the sound) early in the morning and then string them up as striper bait once we had enough. At least on the Chesapeake I think that is only allowed starting in June.

Back