• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone own a 3D printer?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Inventor user eh? :D :D

I'm currently sitting in software training for NASTRAN IN-CAD.......we're evaluating it as an alternative to ANSYS.....so far.....meh.
Hehe yup. I’ve been an Autodesk user for going on 2 decades across a lot of their products.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Parts are rinsed and now they’re in my custom built UV curing enclosure. Of course I made it to mimick the design of the Formlabs printer :D

B7C1F1F1-CED0-4482-9C10-7CD3D5DCA9F2.jpeg 58CD4F3A-975F-48BB-8633-094A16860B0E.jpeg 435B05C1-7A1D-463E-9219-6FB8BE97A6F8.jpeg 655ABEED-1338-4871-9550-CB9F091F6C39.jpeg BA607CE2-DA2A-4AEE-A433-F2FBE750E62C.jpeg 83304D8C-79FF-40C0-AFD4-FCAE60DAC11A.jpeg 24D86B1B-F7DF-4810-9229-B836CE63F732.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hehe yup. I’ve been an Autodesk user for going on 2 decades across a lot of their products.
I cut my modelling teeth on Pro/Engineer, but my original drafting experience (when I moved from pencil and board) was on AutoCAD R11. Advanced Solutions is one of the regions largest AutoDesk resellers, and they are based about 5 miles from here, so Louisville is a very AutoDesk heavy town. Trying to think when I started drawing, close to 20 years now I suppose. You know, I could've had a just fine Friday without thinking about that :D :D

I have high hopes for cloud based CAD packages, but they just aren't quite there yet for production environments with lots of people. OnShape is a great example. It's a really unique product, but just not quite ready for prime-time I think.

Also, That's a helluva curing enclosure. I used to just give my part a day in the sun and they would harden up just fine. If not then we had a "loctite" brand UV cure hood to use. I've sunburnt myself more times than I care to admit holding parts under that light.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Parts are done. I’ll ship these out tomorrow afternoon @njmr2fan

E3A1E57B-E603-45B5-B536-C7FE92C01F9D.jpeg 9875BEB1-9623-4C55-AF59-80570E8CBFAC.jpeg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, that's way cooler than my rinkydink monoprice printer, lol.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't begin to say how educational and just plain cool this has been. We are now planning to print some of the pictures from this thread so that my son can bring them into his 4th grade class and explain his restoration of the gokart, and now how some obsolete parts were custom printed for it. :winkingthumbsup"

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have a few questions. How long would it take to print one of those caps start to finish? How long does it take to cure one once its printed. Does it take that entire tray of liquid to make a part, or does that stay fresh and get used next time? Are we right in guessing that only the part that the (laser?) flashes on is the spot that hardens?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have a few questions. How long would it take to print one of those caps start to finish? How long does it take to cure one once its printed. Does it take that entire tray of liquid to make a part, or does that stay fresh and get used next time? Are we right in guessing that only the part that the (laser?) flashes on is the spot that hardens?
FormLabs has a really good tutorial on SLA printing.

https://formlabs.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-stereolithography-sla-3d-printing/

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
These 3 parts took about an hour and a half to print. Cure times depend mostly on the geometry of the part and how thick it is. It can vary quite a lot from other parts so it all just depends. I can’t recall exactly how much resin was used to make these parts and their respective support bases but I can find out for you if you’re interested because the software I use calculates how much resin is require per that print job. Orientation of the same pet can increase print times and quality so it’s sort of a black art juggling the two so that your parts are accurate but with the least cost of consuming resin. Yes the laser is what does a ‘partial cure’ defining the part geometry as the build tray moves up. The resins do have a shelf life but I keep mine in a dark closet away from any light exposure so my resins have surprisingly lasted for a long time. I don’t pour them back into the bottle but rather have a bunch of trays for each resin type.