• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Aquatic Invasive Species

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I thought it was a bit weird last Sunday when I got to Pactola lake early and the boat inspection kids were not there at the ramp when I arrived at 0700…. Took my friends out fishing and swimming for the day and had a great time.

Docked the boat and went to get my truck and the water craft inspection was set up, but in reverse, they were checking boats as they came off the water. Got the boat on the trailer and pulled up to the check station…I asked, so you are checking the boats as they come off the lake now? The young gal said yes, zebra mussels were found in the lake two weeks earlier. Apparently a scuba diver found a pair of sunglasses on the bottom with two small zebra mussels on them. Subsequent testing of the water found villagers in the water, villagers are the microscopic larvae of zebra mussels. This is exceptionally bad news as Pactola is the crown jewel of the lakes in the black hills, by far the prettiest and most picturesque.

They wanted to watch me pull the drain plug, and when no water came out they asked me if that was the only drain then requested I turn on my bilge pump. I pulled the plug in the live well and let that drain, and showed them the clean out plugs and the water sitting on top of the plugs, pulled them draining the water then put them back in upside down to let the water drain out of them. Unlike Lake Powell they did not request I start the engines and blow the remaining water out of the water locks.

They went on to tell me that if I’m only boating in Pactola then I could return no problem. If however I was going to go to one of the other lakes in the area I needed to let my boat dry out for ten days before visiting other lakes, this doesn’t make sense since they say these mussels can live for 30 days without water, and the states website states that only boats that have been in the water for three days or more are at risk of hitch hikers, the water thing I get since it could contain larvae. The girl said that if it was less than 10 days a thorough inspection would be done and if water was found in the boat anywhere they would do a decontamination on the boat. I have not been able to find this info on the states website yet so I may run up there and ask them where to find it. I read through the states website and learned the decon is the same as the quagga mussel decon, 10 seconds of 140° water or two minutes of 120° water will kill the larvae and or any mussels. There are quite a few wake boats that come over from Wyoming, and other news articles talk about WY fish and game‘s concerns about zebra mussels as there are no known infestations in WY, I certainly hope those folks take this seriously to keep from spreading these little bastards.

Could this have been prevented? I’m not sure, I’m not sure if this was inevitable or not. What I do know is that people who didn’t take it seriously before will have to now. Seems like the mitigation steps are pretty simple clean and dry your boat and it’s trailer. I’ve seen boat trailers around here with gobs of lake grass on them as well as dirt which was mud. When I was at Lake Powell last summer the lazy chick in charge that day at the decon station refused to decon my boat, just had her male colleague do an inspection and put a seal on my boat. When I tried to talk to her she just stormed off to who knows where leaving the lone male worker to handle everything. To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. I had prepared before my trip to follow all of Utahs rules about decontamination after having my boat on Lake Powell for a week. When I had arrived at LP and went to check out the decon station they were hard at work decontaminating a wake boat, supplying 140° to the ballast tanks and engine cooling water, as well as soaking all ropes and such in buckets of 140°. But on the day I left the chick in charge couldn’t have cared less. So when I got home I turned my water heater up to 150°, I hooked my hose into my clothes washer hot water input and proceeded to flush the engines with this water, and the rest of the inside of the boat as well as my anchor and the rode, TWICE. There was no way I wanted to be responsible for infecting the prettiest lake in the hills.

So I say to all of you, please take a few minutes of your time to make sure that you do your part to keep from spreading all AIS, whether it’s quagga / zebra mussels, invasive plants, or invasive fish.

When I camped at lake mead 2019 its all over the place the docks covered with it and all the rocks around the area. It is nasty.

We have them in our part of the lake, however supposedly not in the Inland Sea in the NE section of the Lake. 5 months in Burlington and it’s covered.

462721CA-0F91-41B7-9703-65695DC6F31C.jpeg

9550E201-E065-4CA1-AD6C-8401267DF8B0.jpeg

Im surprised Lake Power still makes you go through the decon and check process even though they have had confirmed infection for years now.

Im surprised Lake Power still makes you go through the decon and check process even though they have had confirmed infection for years now.

I guess Utah is looking to keep those quagga mussels from getting into the other lakes in Utah. Was reading a report about how many infected boat were stopped at these other lakes, there was one lake in particular wherein fish and game had stopped 5 boats in one day that had these things on the hull’s, they were plainly visible yet the boat owners were just going to launch them into these un infected lakes.

To compound matters, Colorado for example doesn’t recognize Utahs AIS procedures so there is no reciprocity across state lines and multi state boaters have to go through another set of hoops when going from UT to CO… and CA doesn’t recognize either UT or CO I’m pretty sure and AZ is somewhere in the middle..

When I camped at lake mead 2019 its all over the place the docks covered with it and all the rocks around the area. It is nasty.

Their shells turn a pristine sandy beach into a sand and razor blade beach….

We have them in our part of the lake, however supposedly not in the Inland Sea in the NE section of the Lake. 5 months in Burlington and it’s covered.

View attachment 183682

View attachment 183683

If they’re on boat fenders then they are inside the cooling water passages of your engine(s). My friend told me how they’d get rid of mussels etc from ocean going engine systems, plug the water outlets then add muriatic acid to the engines cooling water passages. The muriatic acid dissolves the calcium that their shells are made of… then they‘d just flush the engines out.

Their shells turn a pristine sandy beach into a sand and razor blade beach….
Ya and unfortunately all it takes is one irresponsible person, or even those not aware, it could easily be a kayak or inflatable paddleboard. They dont need boat ramp and can launch almost at any part of the lake

I do close my thru hulls valves, but I get it. I will look in the intake strainer for any growth, next time out.

Ya and unfortunately all it takes is one irresponsible person, or even those not aware, it could easily be a kayak or inflatable paddleboard. They dont need boat ramp and can launch almost at any part of the lake

Yep, SD’s program covers anything that floats… I think UT’s does too. They‘re pretty strict here.. you best not show up to the ramp with the plug in, if there is an “officer“ there it is a $500 fine. But as usual there are inter governmental issues, for instance, there are painted letters on the road in, PLUG IN on the way in and PLUG OUT on the way out, but the check stations are further in, and state you cannot have your plugs in.. when I mentioned this to the kid he said oh those are antiquated.. I said, yeah well it stills says that on the ground and multi decadal veterans are going to abide by that signage, so y’all best get those covered up or put some other signage there or there is going to be trouble if you try and correct someone… like me for instance.

I do close my thru hulls valves, but I get it. I will look in the intake strainer for any growth, next time out.

Sorry man, didn’t mean to make you nervous or anything, guess I should have chosen better words… hopefully they are all clear!

Sorry man, didn’t mean to make you nervous or anything, guess I should have chosen better words… hopefully they are all clear!

No worries, “Moss does not grow on a rolling stone.”

Back