• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge pump question

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Today I noticed my bilge pump is cycling on and off about once a second. We have it in the water for about a week at a time, otherwise it is on the lift for about five weeks at a time. It is doing this even with the batteries off. I never noticed it before. Is this normal? There is a small amount of water in the bilge.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is normal for the bilge to cycle looking for water, it should not be cycling once a second, it should also not be cycling if you have the batteries "off"

Is you bilge original stock configuration?
when you say batteries are off do you mean key is in off position or the cables are disconnected from the batteries or do you have a multiple battery switch?
is the small amount of water in the bilge do you mean what you see in the engine compartment or if you look through the manhole covers under the cleanout tray?

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes happening when both batts are turned to off. There is a small amount of moisture in the bottom of the engine compartment only. Don't know if the electrical is original, I bought the boat used. Now it has stopped, but is still coming on occasionally. I did hose the cockpit down today but not overly much. It just seems odd that it happens with the battery switches in the off position. I'm going to leave them connected tonight and check in the morning. Would rather have dead batteries than a sunk boat!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Some people hard wire their bilge to the battery so they can turn everything else off but not the bilge

The stock bilge is a back pressure bilge that cycles every 3 min to check for back pressure (water).

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like the previous owner directly wired your bilge pump to the battery which will bypass the switches. I would only do this with a float switch activated bilge pump so it won't run down your batteries over time.

Last edited:

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stock bilge is a back pressure bilge that cycles every 3 min to check for back pressure (water).
I'd been wondering why it would come on and seemed like it was at an certain time interval. Sometimes I can hear it sometimes I don't.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. Pump is gooned, replacing it this week.