• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Binoculars?

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve decided that I want to get a pair of decent binoculars for the boat. The main lake that I frequent Is 30 miles long and 10 miles wide and even though I have a GPS chart plotter there are times when it would be nice to be able to pick out landmarks visually.

Based on my Google search, it appears that 7x50 models are recommended for boating. What I‘m trying to figure out is if 7x50’s will be sufficient if I‘m trying to locate a lighthouse or harbor entrance from 4-5 miles away. Would I be better off with a pair of 10x42‘s or 12x42’s pr something more powerful?

I did a thread title search for “binoculars” that came up empty which was a bit of surprise.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I was just thinking 2 days ago i should get a decent pair for when i go offshore. I know nothing of optics other than good ones are expensive so curious what others have to say

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went with 10 power Nikons on my boat I probably had them 10 years they’ve traveled with me through a lot. I bought them at Walmart they were about $79 back then I think they’re about $125 now. I like Nikon optics although it’s their lowest binocular line I figured they would get destroyed with the salt water on the boat but they are still around. 10By 40 I think. If it’s dusk or dawn I would definitely go with the 50 it will let more light in.

Tigger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WiskyDan, You are correct. 7x50 are considered the standard for marine use. But they are big and bulky. I have a few pair of different sizes. My favorite were Nikon Monarch 7 - 8x30. They are nice and compact, have an extra wide field of view, and for daytime use they are perfectly bright. Higher magnification isn’t recommended for boats. They will have a narrower field of view and your boat will be bobbing up and down, so you will have a tougher time finding and staying focused on that far away buoy. Never buy a pair smaller than 30mm if you wear glasses, they don’t have the eye relief required for glasses.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback, Tigger. So do you think a 10x42 model would be OK or should I stick with a 7x or 8x model? I don’t think I’m going to use these a ton so I don’t want to spend a lot on them. Found several on Amazon in the $40-$50 range and if I do like them then maybe I’ll get something a little nicer down the road.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
so after doing quite a bit of research last night i found there is one set of binoculars that pops up on every review and its always got positive reviews and in the top 3 or 4. its also at the lower end of the price spectrum. there are plenty out there that are better but all are in the $350-2500 range. like you dan, i wont use these alot. just want a 1/2 decent pair to have on the boat. i dont need anything fancy.

second runner up are these. these are better and more compact but also more expensive.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Don't go over 8x magnification (without optical stabilization) as you won't be able to see anything due to the motion of the boat in the water - your eyes will be constantly hunting to focus on objects and you won't see well unless the water is dead calm. 7x50 is recommended but we already had 8x42 Monarchs and they work well for our spotting needs. You get what you pay for in binoculars, and you won't get bright, clear, optics for $50, so you'll need to look in the $150 range for good optics. I prefer Nikon glass for photography and binoculars, but there are many good brands out there. Look for models with sealed and gas filled chambers (waterproof, fogproof) and multi-coated optics for bright images, low-dispersion glass for sharp images.

And before you buy, go to a store with a good selection and compare them. Look at the $50 models first to see what you're getting, then grab a pair of $200+ models to see what you're missing. Then decide if the extra money is worth it and you will be able to find something in that range for your own personal needs.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so after doing quite a bit of research last night i found there is one set of binoculars that pops up on every review and its always got positive reviews and in the top 3 or 4. its also at the lower end of the price spectrum. there are plenty out there that are better but all are in the $350-2500 range. like you dan, i wont use these alot. just want a 1/2 decent pair to have on the boat. i dont need anything fancy.

second runner up are these. these are better and more compact but also more expensive.

For occasional use only and on a boat I think your first choice there would work fine

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
During boarding 90% wait 99% of the time binoculars are used for looking at bikinis.
Fact.
90% of all facts are fabricated.
And that's a fact.
🤪
But yup...most of the time I get the binoculars out to look at something of interest, either a boat, or a bikini, or just being nosy! The wife does the same! LOL
:woot:

Tigger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback, Tigger. So do you think a 10x42 model would be OK or should I stick with a 7x or 8x model? I don’t think I’m going to use these a ton so I don’t want to spend a lot on them. Found several on Amazon in the $40-$50 range and if I do like them then maybe I’ll get something a little nicer down the road.
10 x 42 are fine. I wouldn’t go up to to 12 power. You would need to be on land with a tripod for 12 power.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Vortex makes very good binoculars for affordable prices and carry a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I have a few different Vortex products from some of their cheaper red dots to their most expensive AMG scope...and a couple pair of binoculars...ALL of them are great. Either 8 or 10 power will do you fine, as stated anything higher will be a bit too shaky.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just purchased a Sig Sauer Zulu 6 image stabilization Binocular. The least expensive ones I could find that had the features I wanted. Could not find a review on the web for Marine use, so I will give a full review for us as soon as I get out in the water after they arrive.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
16x magnification? Even stabilized, they may be too magnified for effective use... Or did you get a different version?

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the 16x because of the larger optical. Having the increased magnification was a plus with the stabilization.

You are right about the 16X. You have a narrower field of view and it difficult to get a clear view without a tripod.

My overall opinion after taking them out on the boat was mixed but maybe not worth the $810 I spent to purchase these. Working on the video trying to lock on to a target standing on the prow of the boat in about 1/2 foot Seas

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Used mainly to find fish… that is other people catching fish.. there is occasional pontoon boat that is a girls day on the lake which is always entertaining!

10 X 40 Leupold binoculars. They are Poro Prism ones that I bought for my Dad in 1987 for Fathers day, he got to use them for 9 years before he passed. Now they are my go to field glasses. There is no central focus, you set the diopter on each eye piece and they are focused for anything except very near, and extremely far. I’ve spotted buck deer with them that were about a mile away. Excellent field glasses. I am a life long Leupold customer.. their lifetime warranty is beyond reproach.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Inherited 2 different sets, 7x35 old ass Sears set and 10x50 Nikon set. I don't like the 7x for anything other than bird watching off the porch, while the 10x seem like they'd be perfectly serviceable for the boat. They're big for the wife, but perfectly fine, size-wise, for me. YMMV, but I've considered a slightly smaller set for the boat too.

Poygan is supposed to be 4 miles across, wish I could get you a better shot, but it's surprisingly difficult - these are the Nikon's, pic taken from my porch.

Shoulda let me know and I'd have brought them to town for you to test out. Lotta fog going home this morning?

2nd pic is for scale. They really don't feel terribly big to me

IMG_20220828_151350443_HDR.jpg