• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bizzarre starting issue - need some advise

Bluejuice

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good morning everyone,
I have a 2003 SR230 with +/- 180 hrs. on the engines. The boat can sit for weeks in my driveway, totally cold engines, and if I go to start it, it turns over immediately. Almost before im finished turning the key. It's awesome. I have two brand new batteries, all new spark plugs that have the correct gap. Now, I hook up, tow 30 minutes to the ramp, and it will not start. It takes forever to turn over. If I try to start it before backing it in, while it's on the trailer, it just doesn't want to start. If I try launching and then starting, it does not want to start. Takes forever, and sounds like it's trying too hard (and i hate everyone staring, thinking its a crap boat). Remember, at home....no issue at all. So after I finally manage to get it started, I head out on the water. Odd thing is...the whole time I'm out, it starts NO PROBLEM. Just like at home. Even if I'm anchored for 3 hours, it will fire back up. End of the day I tow it home, and when I start it up to flush it, it fires right up. I'm struggling so hard to figure this out. Something is happening between home and the tow to the ramp, but what?

TL;DR Boat starts at home easy, after tow to ramp it struggles/doesn't want to start. Then starts fine all day, even after tow home. What is happening between home and the ramp that could cause this?

Thanks everyone,
Roy

I would start with the lanyard switch. Pull the lanyard off and then manually pull the switch out as far as you can and let it snap back. Do this several times. Please report back.

I would start with the lanyard switch. Pull the lanyard off and then manually pull the switch out as far as you can and let it snap back. Do this several times. Please report back.

I will, and I will report back. Thank you.

Either that or; clean out tray cut off switches / neutral permissive switch in throttles?

I think you’re right though as what ever it is affects both engines.

the fact that it is both engines would also make me think

safety kill switch (allows it to crank but cuts the spark) or fuel,

you've got a 20yr old boat with 180 hours ??? that's a lot of sitting,

Did this problem just start recently?
when was the last time you fueled up?

I have the same issue on one of my engines. As soon as it goes in the water it's PIA to get it started. Starts fine on the trailer and starts fine all day once it gets going. I will now start it on the trailer before it hits the water and let it run for about 5-10 seconds. This procedure seems to work well. Are you trying to get it started after it goes in the water?

@Bluejuice Does the hard starting occur whether or not you try to start it at home first? If it varies it may be a clue as to the issue. I would concur that I'd check all the safety devices as the bumpy trip to the ramp may loosen something.

Do you put the cleanup plugs in at home or at the ramp?

Also, if I read correctly, it cranks, but does not catch. Note that the cleanup tray safety switches have two circuits per engine, one for start and one for run, so don't discount them as the source of a crank but no run problem.

I have the same issue on one of my engines. As soon as it goes in the water it's PIA to get it started. Starts fine on the trailer and starts fine all day once it gets going. I will now start it on the trailer before it hits the water and let it run for about 5-10 seconds. This procedure seems to work well. Are you trying to get it started after it goes in the water?

That sounds like the engine is having trouble once load is put on it. Captain obvious here, there is no load on the engine on the trailer. Since your boat is older, with ???? Number of hours on it, have you, or do you run a fuel system / injector cleaner through it a couple of times a year? If not get some Techron or Amsoil fuel system cleaner and do a clean up dose when filling the tank and go and run a tank of gas through it. I have personally seen both of those products solve starting and idling issues in engines.

I'm not sold on any of those products..... My issue has to do with the throttle cable calibration. If the issue had to do with a load on the engine, I would have problems starting it throughout the day. As mentioned mine doesn't start only at the beginning of the day. Starts fine all day with a load on it once I am out on the lake...

I'm not sold on any of those products..... My issue has to do with the throttle cable calibration. If the issue had to do with a load on the engine, I would have problems starting it throughout the day. As mentioned mine doesn't start only at the beginning of the day. Starts fine all day with a load on it once I am out on the lake...

So you’ve never used them, then how would you know?

Yes your engine would have a problem when cold if the injectors are dirty as they are not atomizing the fuel properly. There is a cold start part of the mapping that increases fuel when cold, just like the choke does on a carb, if the fuel is coming out of the injectors in larger droplets it will not burn correctly. As soon as the engine gets a little heat in it, it can handle the incorrectly atomized fuel.

The fact it starts cold on the trailer and not in the water clearly shows that it doesn’t want to run cold when there is a load on it, as jet pumps are always pumping water when in the water.

So you’ve never used them, then how would you know?

Yes your engine would have a problem when cold if the injectors are dirty as they are not atomizing the fuel properly. There is a cold start part of the mapping that increases fuel when cold, just like the choke does on a carb, if the fuel is coming out of the injectors in larger droplets it will not burn correctly. As soon as the engine gets a little heat in it, it can handle the incorrectly atomized fuel.

The fact it starts cold on the trailer and not in the water clearly shows that it doesn’t want to run cold when there is a load on it, as jet pumps are always pumping water when in the water.
I will just say that using injector cleaner 3-4 times a year is a complete waste of money. These are basic motorcycle engines and the fuel injectors do not need to be cleaned. As mentioned my issue is with the throttle cable / TB butterfly calibration. There is a specific process to ensure the butterflies are set correctly and mine are off due to the fact that I had to remove the engine and rebuild it. You are right about the cause of the issue....mixture. Just not the fix in my case. If the TB is not calibrated correctly the mixture on cold start under a load is just off a bit. 99% of the time folks saying to use carb cleaner or seafoam is just bs.... Just my 2 cents.

the fact that it is both engines would also make me think

safety kill switch (allows it to crank but cuts the spark) or fuel,

you've got a 20yr old boat with 180 hours ??? that's a lot of sitting,

Did this problem just start recently?
when was the last time you fueled up?

Yes, she's old with low hours. A very wealthy previous owner bought it as a toy to play around with as his yacht was not sporty enough. But he coudnt figure out the handling of the jet boat and backed into a bulkhead. He had the minor fiberglass damage repaired professionally and then never used it. The 2nd owner used it more than had back surgery, so it sat again. I try to use it as much as I can, but in the northeast it sits all winter.

Last fuel up was right when it was winterized. I filled it up and added stabilizer. I added fuel injector cleaner when i opened. I add fresh gas every time I tow to the ramp.

The problem started last year.

Thanks

Have you considered fuel related issues? This happens after the boat gets a good shaking.

I did, but I dont know where to start. I fugured the fuel sloshing around could be the culprit.....but why? it sloshes around all day on the water and it starts fine. Maybe a priming issue?

I've been doing this too. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. This sounds exactly like my issue. I used to start them both home first but gave up with that as it didn't seem to make a difference. I do fire it up on the trailer right before launching, like you, for 5 or so seconds. Even then i'll have an issue. One will start and one won't, and the hard starting engines swap ....so it's hard to pin down.

So they both will crank/turn over once you get to the ramp and you can get them started on the trailer at the ramp? If they will crank at the ramp it is not your safety switches....

That sounds like the engine is having trouble once load is put on it. Captain obvious here, there is no load on the engine on the trailer. Since your boat is older, with ???? Number of hours on it, have you, or do you run a fuel system / injector cleaner through it a couple of times a year? If not get some Techron or Amsoil fuel system cleaner and do a clean up dose when filling the tank and go and run a tank of gas through it. I have personally seen both of those products solve starting and idling issues in engines.

The problem happens in the water and on the trailer. Randomly. I do use fuel injector cleaner. I'll grab the ones you recommended, Thanks.

I had the same problem with my 07 sx230 turned out to be the clean out hatch safety switches were not adjusted properly.

Thanks, I'll check this!

So they both will crank/turn over once you get to the ramp and you can get them started on the trailer at the ramp? If they will crank at the ramp it is not your safety switches....
Yes, but even starting it on the trailer, one or both will hard start.

Back