• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

boat explodes when gas pumped into fishing rod holder

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

TheGreekTitan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, this was someone who put 28 gallons of fuel in a fishing rod holder. Pretty dumb mistake if you ask me. I'm sorry they got hurt (especially the Sea Tow employee), but man that's just unbelievably stupid.

Had to be drunk or something.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe they just wanted a Viking funeral?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Of all the things one could think of to ensure the damn thing blew up.....messing with the battery would be the LAST thing one would do!!!! You nearly GUARANTEE a spark when messing with battery cables!!!!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually when someone pumps gas into a rodholder it's a friend that just wants to help. It's an easy mistake to make.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Surprised of the ages of the people sounded like a kid mistake. But I would have ran not walked away from that problem. Burns are the worst. Pain, death from infection even later and scaring, you don't want no burn.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually when someone pumps gas into a rodholder it's a friend that just wants to help. It's an easy mistake to make.
I've never had a friend want to put gas in my boat...I can't even get them to bring their own snacks or towels!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just don't see how you could logically confuse a rod holder for a gas cap. And why did it take 28 gallons to suddenly figure it out? Did they not see gas running all over the floor of the boat or bailing off the side or scupper long before 28 freakin' gallons?!!? How the hell did they not smell all that fuel????

Maybe these guys were huffing fumes (or something else) prior to pumping :D

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gasoline is dangerous. Gasoline vapors are invisible and more dangerous. My guess is that the vapors ignited from the small spark when removing the battery cable and carried the flame to the pooled gas in the hull. Beware of the vapor.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, gasoline is not all that dangerous. It is flammable, but one of the lesser combustibles among hydrocarbons and can be quite difficult to get to burn, believe it or not.

The vapor, however, @Mainah is quite correct, is VERY combustible and is what causes the explosions. And liquid gasoline will vaporize quickly. So what often looks like the liquid gasoline catching fire is actually the vapor above the gasoline igniting. As the boiling point is 85C, once the vapor above gasoline ignites, the liquid below quickly boils into more vapor that makes more of a problem.

Yes, beware of the vapor.