• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat keeps trying to turn on with keys out

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2015 242 LS....

Noticed something really strange yesterday. We had a prolonged period of time sitting at the dock before we left yesterday. Batteries were on but keys were out of the switches entirely, sitting on the passenger side dash. Then the tachs fired up like I had put the key in and turned it to the run position. Startup alarm went off, screen started to come on then everything shut off. Probably happened over less than 1-2 seconds. I didnt do anything at first as I wanted to see if it would happen again and sure enough it did about 5-10 mins later, then 5-10 mins after that. It was fairly constant although I didn't think to time it.

Any ideas where to even begin troubleshooting this?

You might want to call a Priest.

.....or check your ignition switch for corrosion/moisture. De-install it, inspect it closely and use a multi-meter.

Attachments

• external-content.duckducksssgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckducksssgo.com.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
You might want to call a Priest.

Then check your ignition switch for corrosion or moisture.
LOL…..I did look at it but didn’t see anything obvious. I’ll check the back of it again.
Maybe I’ll order replacement ones and if that fixes it I’ll break the other one open and see how bad it was.

LOL…..I did look at it but didn’t see anything obvious. I’ll check the back of it again.
Maybe I’ll order replacement ones and if that fixes it I’ll break the other one open and see how bad it was.

.... so you're not even going to call for an exorcism? Hmmmmm :)

.... so you're not even going to call for an exorcism? Hmmmmm
You know someone good? My luck Id end up with more demons than I started with.

LOL

2015 242 LS....

Noticed something really strange yesterday. We had a prolonged period of time sitting at the dock before we left yesterday. Batteries were on but keys were out of the switches entirely, sitting on the passenger side dash. Then the tachs fired up like I had put the key in and turned it to the run position. Startup alarm went off, screen started to come on then everything shut off. Probably happened over less than 1-2 seconds. I didnt do anything at first as I wanted to see if it would happen again and sure enough it did about 5-10 mins later, then 5-10 mins after that. It was fairly constant although I didn't think to time it.

Any ideas where to even begin troubleshooting this?
You must have gotten the boat wet or something. Try filling the inside of the boat with rice. It’s a lot easier to get than Yamaha parts.

You must have gotten the boat wet or something. Try filling the inside of the boat with rice. It’s a lot easier to get than Yamaha parts.
I was thinking the same thing - just not the rice part! Did you boat sit out in a rain storm uncovered? If it did, I'd be pulling all the plugs I can access and blasting them dry with a blower.

Hold on. Just noticed you mentioned getting "Switches" - as in plural. I'm guessing that your problem isn't in the push bottons, but in the key switch. That's the common point as you said the dashboard was lighting up, not the engines cranking. There is only one - the Key switch - to test right now.

Well, I am in Florida and it does rain here so that’s very possible. Can’t avoid every storm that rolls through! It’s covered when not on the water and the Bimini is on when it is. We do get some crazy weather though

I was thinking the same thing - just not the rice part! Did you boat sit out in a rain storm uncovered? If it did, I'd be pulling all the plugs I can access and blasting them dry with a blower.
Not recently….everything else is working just fine.

Not recently….everything else is working just fine.
I'd still pull that key switch and blow/clean it out as best as I could. I know that when I'm rained on with the big bimini, its the sides of the boat that get the most water....I can see that key switch being an issue......would have been a lot smarter to put it inside the inset....

Hold on. Just noticed you mentioned getting "Switches" - as in plural. I'm guessing that your problem isn't in the push bottons, but in the key switch. That's the common point as you said the dashboard was lighting up, not the engines cranking. There is only one - the Key switch - to test right now.
This is on my 2015 242 LS so no push buttons. Only the key switches.
(Yes I have 2 right now, got the 2020 earlier this year and not ready to part with the 2015 yet)

This is on my 2015 242 LS so no push buttons. Only the key switches.
(Yes I have 2 right now, got the 2020 earlier this year and not ready to part with the 2015 yet)
I can't help, but I can (somewhat) relate. Last weekend my Yammie (2016 AR240 with a LOT of mods) started randomly loosing power on one of the circuits. It flickered off, then back on, a couple of times, kind of like what you describe but in reverse...
checked the obvious but couldn't track it down on the water. Will need to investigate when I pull the boat out.

I hate electric gremlins!

--

I had similar problem but not on my 2017 Yamaha 212 Limited but on my older boat with twin Mercruiser stern drives. Switches got wet from washing with hose. Several hours later one of my engines cranked up and was running for several minutes on the trailer in my driveway. But in that situation the key switches were cheap and turned out to be easily swamped. More expensive switches with rubber seals fixed the issue from reoccurring.

With that said I hose my Yamaha down inside and out which includes the dash and switches after every use and have never had any electrical issues.

Man you have the worst luck with boats.

Man you have the worst luck with boats.
I also use it a LOT so the chances of things happening are higher….Ive also never bought one new from the dealer so there’s some period of time where I don’t know how the boat was kept. Could be slow developing issues that started before I even bought it.

Ignition switch or starter relay..would be my starting point

Perhaps it is time for @JetBoatPilot key switch covers?
Yes maybe!! Have a link? I can’t find them on the site
Going to reproduce it and disconnect them one at a time to see if I can isolate it

Back