• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Loading question

KyleWade14

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The reason I put guides on my trailer was I having trouble getting the boat centered when loading and I got tired of looking like the people I cuss every time on the ramp that don't have a clue what they are doing. Keep in mind I'm 40 and I've been loading boats by myself since I was 8 or 10 yrs old. So I know where the trailer should set in the water, and I have never had as much trouble loading a boat as I have this one. I put the guides on and stuck the landing the first time. My dad and I got to looking at where the bunks set on the bottom of the boat and are thinking that they aren't set right for my boat. I have a Shorelandr with adjustable bunks, but the way we think they need to go they are already as far that direction that they can go. I would have to drill new holes to make it work. Anyone else have this problem?

Not heard this issue before...got any photos of what you are referring to?

Not with me and I'm out of town working right now. Still have 5 or 6 days left on this job before I'll be back home. :(

More wondering if anyone without guides has trouble getting their boat centered?

Welcome aboard @trashygasman. If you're loading anyplace where there is a cross current or cross wind loading can be a challenge. Our boats are light with a high freeboard. The light weight allows the current and wind to push us around fairly easily. If you have your bimini up while loading in a cross wind you can have your hands full. The slow speed steering on these boats is also a factor. I found the V guides and steering fins help greatly.

My boat has always centered itself. My XR1800 on the shorelander trailer wouldn't center for anything though.

Same for me, I don't have guides on and never had a problem (and we have basically the same boat/trailer). I would think either your bunks are off a bit or your are too deep when loading. I do have to adjust the bow sometimes to hit the bow roller a little better, but we're talking an inch or 2 at most when the boat is about a foot from the roller.

Is it hitting the trailer wheel covers when loaded? Or just off center at the bow roller?

I can see a bit of what you are talking about, maybe. I have found the sweet spot for my ramp that works... but here is what I have seen...

With my current trailer depth and ramp, I must power load (no guides). I have about 8 inches or so of the front bunks out of the water, fenders right at water level. If I am in any deeper (even a few inches), the stern will wander while on the trailer, even when winched tight to the bow stop. I have to be careful to get the boat straight on the trailer.

SO if you do not power load, that means your trailer is in deeper than mine and I could see the boat wandering all over the place on the trailer. When you pull it out, the boat may even end up very crooked on the trailer. In this situation, I can see guides making it very easy to load and keep things straight.

Is this what you are seeing? With me, not a problem, just having to adapt to different ramps, etc.

It's the back of the boat that I can't get centered. I have always power loaded. I always try to get the front half of the fenders out of the water. That has always been a good rule of thumb on any of mine or my familys boats. A lot of the ramps I was on this summer are uneven due to our lakes being flooded all spring and have silt on them or the concrete has broken all apart. Doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue anymore having the guides. Just wondering if it had ever been a problem for anyone else?

The unlevel ramps sound like your problem. Once we've loaded the boat on the trailer and my wife has hooked the bow, she looks at the levelness of the boat and tells me to stand in the middle or not to level out the boat as she pulls up the ramp. It works like a charm every time and lessons the settling the boat does going down the road. I don't have guides on my trailer and I only wished that I had them twice in the 9 years of ownership. We usually use good ramps that are in a mostly protected area from the wind and currents.

The ramp I typically use is shallow and I put the trailer in deep, as deep as I can go without soaking the trailer/truck electrical connection. The bunks and wheel fenders are all underwater. I don't power on for fear of sucking up small rocks or other things off the bottom. Going deep allows me to winch up the boat with little/no effort or strain on the winch. With about 50 trips to the ramp I have never had a problem centering, it has done it every time. Other boats I have trailered have always been hit or miss with centering. I wonder if your bunk situation is different.

I always try to get the front half of the fenders out of the water.

Have you tried loading with the fenders just under water versus half way out? I have a different boat and trailer but this is what works for me.

if your ramp is not even, try backing the trailer in at an angle that makes it level. I have that issue at one of the ramps at Utah Lake. Otherwise, I get a feel for how off the boat is and I just have the person in the boat lean to one side (to make it level) as I pull it from the water. Other than that.. if my ramp is perpendicular to the water line I have never had an issue so long as the boat is weighted properly (and I don't have all the girls huddled around an ipad laughing at something on facebook all sitting port side when I recover it).

For what it's worth - I dip the fenders just under water to launch and retrieve. I have to winch the boat up to the bow stop about 3 feet usually. I've seen too many issues with "powering on" to the trailer so I just don't do it. I walk the boat up onto the trailer and like I said - winch it the last 3 feet. Only problem is - I typically get my feet wet.

In my experience (and I've probably done this 500 times) - if your trailer is perfectly straight into the water and as you pull out, and you pull out nice and extra slowly - you'll be centered every time. I rushed once and I was off center about an inch. Good luck.

@trashygasman It sounds like your bunks are not engaging your keel when loading. This could be due to a steep ramp or putting your trailer in a little too far. Try putting your trailer in a little shallower so your bunks will grab the keel, then winch it up as far as you can. You may then have to back the trailer in another foot or so to complete winching it all the way up. You will get your feet wet but that should center your boat.

I had some issues centering our boat before the v guides as the ever constant cross winds and tides would always play a role in loading. No problems since installing the V guides.

same issue with not centering... always want to shift to the right....

will try with trailer out of the water bit further

Back