• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boating in the outer banks NC

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Does anybody have any suggestions on the best places to boat in the outer banks ? Is this a good time of the year to boat there? I plan to lug my boat to the outer banks and explore them. Any good websites for guidance?

Cheers
Amar

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Where you comming/boating from? and for how long ? I've towed my boat and waverunner to Beaufort a couple times and played around Harkers Island, shackleford banks, Beaufort and cape lookout. The area isn't a big as it appears on the map but is entertaining !! There are more than a few opportunities to Ground 0ut . Seen Dolphins and turtles and wild horses. plenty of beach area to pull onto and a lot of boating activity. you can get out in the open ocean and run the outside of shackleford banks. tides/chop leaving Beaufort inlet can get heavy, but manageable, I favor the EBB tides when I do, you'll be fine in a 24ft

Some beautiful ships/yatchs to admire in this area..Fort Macon too

There is Adams creek that can get you up into New Bern which I've been wanting to do for some time now. public docks at morehead city and beaufort afford good eats and shops..

Jaycee docks to the west end of morehead and the Bask Hotel is a targeted sleep over for me as well.

you can cross over into the Atlantic beach area and the captain stacy fishing area...its busy over there with car traffic....never went west of the Atlantic beach bridge

ABIDE BY THE CHANNEL MARKERS WITH GREAT CONVICTION !!!!!

If you're thinking outerbanks like Hatteras and such I got nothing except Oregon inlet currents and breakers are something to RESPECT !!
@Julian has boated Wilmington a bunch I believe.

I've boated the little river area and calabash....MEH.....but that's not what you're asking.

If you want more detail like launches and such..and are interested in this area more let me know, I'll continue rambling

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where you comming/boating from? and for how long ? I've towed my boat and waverunner to Beaufort a couple times and played around Harkers Island, shackleford banks, Beaufort and cape lookout. The area isn't a big as it appears on the map but is entertaining !! There are more than a few opportunities to Ground 0ut . Seen Dolphins and turtles and wild horses. plenty of beach area to pull onto and a lot of boating activity. you can get out in the open ocean and run the outside of shackleford banks. tides/chop leaving Beaufort inlet can get heavy, but manageable, I favor the EBB tides when I do, you'll be fine in a 24ft

Some beautiful ships/yatchs to admire in this area..Fort Macon

There is Adams creek that can get you up into New Bern which I've been wanting to do for some time now. public docks at morehead city and beaufort afford good eats and shops..

Jaycee docks to the west end of morehead and the Bask Hotel is a targeted sleep over for me as well.

you can cross over into the Atlantic beach area and the captain stacy fishing area...its busy over there with car traffic....never went west of the Atlantic beach bridge

ABIDE BY THE CHANNEL MARKERS WITH GREAT CONVICTION !!!!!

If you're thinking outerbanks like Hatteras and such I got nothing except Oregon inlet currents and breakers are something to RESPECT !!
@Julian has boated Wilmington a bunch I believe.

I've boated the little river area and calabash....MEH.....but that's not what you're asking.

If you want more detail like launches and such let me know.
I want to do the new Bern to Beaufort run... that sounds fun!! We gotta make that happen sometime..

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I want to do the new Bern to Beaufort run... that sounds fun!! We gotta make that happen sometime..
we'll chat it up at Falls in a couple weekends and form a gang for it !

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are running from Beaufort to Cape Hatteras the first weekend of September looking forward to it as I have wanted to do it for a while

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are running from Beaufort to Cape Hatteras the first weekend of September looking forward to it as I have wanted to do it for a while
in the Pamlico sound or the open Atlantic ?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would be a haul.... I use to go to Cape lookout in a 1968 38 foot egg harbor when I was a teenager... but never went that far..

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am somewhat familiar with the waters from Beaufort/Cape Lookout south to Wrightsville Beach in Wilmington. I know very little about the Outer Banks and Pamlico area. With that said......it's funny @justason mentions the Bask hotel in Morehead and the Jaycees docks. Could this be a gathering location in the future. I went to a poker run with go fast boat last year and it was based there.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
in the Pamlico sound or the open Atlantic ?
Likely the sound. Run up the ICW and cut over towards the same route the ferry takes to Ocracoke. To be determined though I'm doing it by ski though not boat and weather depending as well.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in New Bern, if you get some interest let me know I would love to do it with a group. Man that sounds bad out of context.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in New Bern, if you get some interest let me know I would love to do it with a group. Man that sounds bad out of context.
Sounds good... u gonna come up to raleigh on the 10th of sept to the get together? That's where we r gonna plan stuff.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri i think your thread got hijacked! I would check out this website http://www.outerbanks.com/boating.html and search thehulltruth forum. That is more of a fishing boat forum but lot of good info for that area. If you get to chatting on that site, lie and tell everyone you have a 21ft tidewater center console. If you say jet boat on that site they will roast you.

I'm assuming you are going to nags head/kill devil hills area or Corolla. I was there for week last year. Didn't take boat but scoped it out. My impression is you have either large charter boats going out in the ocean or you have a lot of small skiffs/CCs in the sound fishing. I didn't see a lot of "ski" boats. Doesn't mean you can't but not the majority.

If you aren't familiar with area I will warn you you can get in some real shallow water real fast even though you are no where near the shore. I would definitely take your time until you learn the water.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri i think your thread got hijacked! I would check out this website http://www.outerbanks.com/boating.html and search thehulltruth forum. That is more of a fishing boat forum but lot of good info for that area. If you get to chatting on that site, lie and tell everyone you have a 21ft tidewater center console. If you say jet boat on that site they will roast you.

I'm assuming you are going to nags head/kill devil hills area or Corolla. I was there for week last year. Didn't take boat but scoped it out. My impression is you have either large charter boats going out in the ocean or you have a lot of small skiffs/CCs in the sound fishing. I didn't see a lot of "ski" boats. Doesn't mean you can't but not the majority.

If you aren't familiar with area I will warn you you can get in some real shallow water real fast even though you are no where near the shore. I would definitely take your time until you learn the water.
Lol sorry for the highjacking!:(

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

Thank you for the information . :)

su laxplayer21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At the end of every boating season my fiance and I trailer from Long Island NY, to Kill Devil Hills NC. It is a long haul roughly 550 miles! However, once we are down there it is worth the long commute. We generally boat in the Albemarle Sound. You can head north and hit Duck and Corolla but you run out of deep water quickly. We have headed south to Manteo (where some big money fishing boats are) and Wanchese where they filmed Wicked Tuna. We found some really nice sand bars/islands by Oregon Inlet, but would never venture out into the ocean through it. We have been into Alligator River, and as far north as Elizabeth City. There isn't much action in terms of restaurants, but there is a lot of open water to explore. We will be down there September 11 - September 18th, if anyone is in the area! It would be nice to have some friends on the water!