• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bold off season idea

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Anyone here given thought or considered yanking the internal combustion engine (Mercury 120XR in my case) and replacing it with a a comparable DC motor and batteries? The thought of quiet running intrigues me.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Definitely following this thread. I'm with a recently dead 175xr2.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the battery weight might be a bit much.

Joekerr1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I think it could be done with the engine connected to a prop, but the weight of the batteries would reduce the amount of passengers you could take.

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I'm thinking the same thing. The battery situation is gonna be the limiting factor.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The other day while trolling on the lake with my Ulterra, a couple pulled up to chat in their aluminum fishing boat that had a bimini top.. we were about 10 yards if that apart and they were keeping station with me. On the back of their boat was a Honda 200 hp outboard. The only thing I could hear from that motor was the pisser stream hitting the water.. impressively quiet.

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Just did some quick calculations last night. I don't think this project is truly do-able. To make this with enough energy stored onboard to run for a decent amount of time would require some really hefty batteries. More than what the weight of this small boat could handle. I wouldn't put the effort into this unless I could get a decent 2-3hr run time on a single charge. This would require way too much energy storage which would weight too much.

Guess I'll wait around for that nuclear reactor motor.

I'll do a few more tweaks/upgrades to this 1996 SS Mirage/Mercury SportJet 120XR and probably sell it here shortly. I've got my eye on a bigger boat.

Joekerr1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I say convert it into a 4-stroke outboard. I plan to do this to my 2-stroke Sugar Sand Tango when it eventually dies...

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Interesting!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've seen some conversions to electric motors, but it is often on sailboats.

Takes a lot of energy to power a boat, so many electric boats run lower than displacement speeds. As an example here is a Duffy electric boat running with their standard (8) six volt deep cycle battery bank:

1657039968697.png

Jim

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
A few years ago a guy replaced the 3.0 mercruiser in his Bayliner with a Tesla motor. Pretty cool.