• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a boat saga.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
TLDR: Do not use Trident Marine for your boat loan.
I have to vent on my boat purchase.

Prior to my sea trial, I called my bank, (Trident Marine) and ensured I had a list of all that they needed.

Friday:
9 am Sea trial goes well seller and I agree to a price. I email the bank their paperwork.

11 am Wife and I go to Clemson Downtown to have a drink and celebrate. And to realize that damn we are old as half of the town we remember is gone and it's been overrun by hipsters. We decide on a bar that used to be the damn book store. Waitress does not get me when I tell her "I hope this does not cost me what it did last time I was here, $500". She also gives me the evil eye for ordering a double bourbon and diet coke at 11 am.

11:20 am. I get a message from the bank "Oh i need a picture of the registration". Fine that was not on your list I'll get it for you. I call up the owner explain that the bank needs a picture of his registration. He has just finished covering and putting the boat away. Uncovers it and gets the picture for me. I send it on.

Monday
9 am I get a new email from the bank telling me he needs a picture of the HIN. Ok why did you not know this last thursday or friday? I email the owner, who goes out to take the picture (uncover/recover boat).

11 am Bank: "oh I also need a picture of the engine serial numbers". At this point the owner is beyond ticked at me. He does it as he wants to sell.

Tuesday: a random person from a third party calls the owner to tell him he needs to sign the title over to her so we can complete the sale. He calls me to confirm. I spend two hours trying to get my Trident Broker to find out if this is real, he had mentioned a Pam doing some paperwork but the owner randomly signing the title over to someone is super fishy. "Oh yeah she's the one." Really? REALLY? You could not mention that part of this?
Also on Tuesday I am supposed to get paperwork. I told them to send it to my house and requested a tracking number. *crickets*. I reiterate my request for a tracking number Tuesday afternoon to get a response of "oh it's been at your house since 10 am"... I leave work early, rush home, rush to UPS to get it notarized, scramble to find a fedex overnight drop off to send it back so that the seller and I can deal on Wedensday. (he's out of town for a while for business after 10 thursday.)

Fast forward to yesterday, I'm super excited. Today's the day. I get a text from the seller "bank is waiting on you to call them?" Oh they are? Since when, no one told me from the damn bank. I call them up. "oh i just need you to tell me you still want to go through with this?, then I can wire the money." Um. Wire? We (seller and I) had requested a Cashier Check. "We do not do that honey" super condescending voice.

11 am.

12 pm

1 pm I rush out to my bank to get my down payment in a cashier check for the seller.

1:15 pm seller: Still no wire transfer notification from my bank. (he's a small business owner and gets them all the time, this is unusually long.) He's called Trident who send him a confirmation of the sending with a FED tracking ID.

2 pm

3 pm

4 pm seller: "no deal today, I have to go to a meeting and my bank is telling me that they still have yet to see the Wire". I call up trident who does not even ask who I am, talks to me as if I am the seller, not the buyer. So I get personal banking info I should not get. Trident swears up and down that it's seller's banks problem... That the money has been sent.

Thursday 4 am, laying awake in bed fuming over this debacle.

I've rewritten this a few times so that it's 6 am. I am beyond mad. My wife is ready to kill me. I'm wishing I'd just gone to a dealer and bought a new boat... No way would it have been this bad. And at this point It would have been worth the extra money not to deal with this shit.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Told ya Trident sucked. Fuggedaboudit, boat's comin.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Never heard of them - but if they come around I will stay away! Hope you can get the boat out soon to cleanse your mind of this mess.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They're a pretty big marine lender, but think they cater to the big boys more.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldn’t worry about it anymore now that it is done now just time to enjoy the boat. Which boat did you get? Which year and model? Enjoy!

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I looked into trident when I was looking the pre owned route and the rates were good but it did seem like they didn't wish to be bothered dealer with transactions less than $50,000.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What a pain in the butt. I'm glad I was lucky my CU was easier to work with on this. We will both be loving new rides here in a matter of days!!

PS: Hopefully a new signature file pic below!!

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Wow...I thought mysituation was bad when I bought 4 years ago. Like the others said, in a short time it will be a funny story over drinks...on the water.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well to be fair I don’t think I would have laughed at the book store joke either.

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I went to buy my boat out of state I forgot my checkbook so I had to finance for a whole month and then pay the boat off. It almost took a year to get the title for new boat. From the lending company it was a pain in the butt calling back and forth.

Livewire

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You'll forget all about the hassle once you take ownership. I took the loan officer from my credit union with me when I purchased my used boat out of state. She even got to take a test ride, and since she liked it so much I let her make the payments each month . It's great being married to a banker.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You'll forget all about the hassle once you take ownership. I took the loan officer from my credit union with me when I purchased my used boat out of state. She even got to take a test ride, and since she liked it so much I let her make the payments each month . It's great being married to a banker.
isnt there some sort of regulation about bankers not underwriting their own loans !!!!

Livewire

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
isnt there some sort of regulation about bankers not underwriting their own loans !!!!
You're correct @Betik . She had another branch manager approve the loan.