• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can a Honda pilot tow a 240 for long distances ?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with your findings. Perhaps it was different in the past. I believe the U-Haul pickups have to be returned to the location where they were picked.

Regardless @Andy S is by far the most cost effective shipping option. Andy you always have a place to stay with family in Arkansas.
Thanks @Bruce, if things workout I might just have to stop by Royal, AR on my way back to SC.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I didn't see if this was a proposed option: but why not pay to have the boat transported by a towing company (there are plenty of people that do this for hire), and then use your own tow rig for the short distances until you figure out something bigger?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What ? No party at Bruce' house...
I am pursuing a local option here that should be settled by Sunday.
Will keep y'all updated. I guess it takes a village to get Betik a boat :winkingthumbsup"

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The dealer will not badge below MSRP + prep + taxes. So an SX190 is at 34.5K and a AR190 37K.

I have not look anywhere else excep this forum due to luck of trust.
Furthermore, I leave in Frisco where 90% of people have recently climbed the higher pay scale ladder. So they have an attitude and i would rather walk to GA than deal with big ego.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't see if this was a proposed option: but why not pay to have the boat transported by a towing company (there are plenty of people that do this for hire), and then use your own tow rig for the short distances until you figure out something bigger?
I will figure something out. Hopefully andy is not working before and after the bimini trip.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be in for lake party if my schedule allows.
This is turning out great. "If Betik does not buy a boat he ruined our lake party. "

First was the injure about my pseudo-track. Then is was the salt on the wound. And now is the pressure of being a party pooper. This is like a gigantic online Greek family.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The dealer will not badge below MSRP + prep + taxes. So an SX190 is at 34.5K and a AR190 37K.

I have not look anywhere else excep this forum due to luck of trust.
Furthermore, I leave in Frisco where 90% of people have recently climbed the higher pay scale ladder. So they have an attitude and i would rather walk to GA than deal with big ego.
Yeah, they don't much here either. I guess they don't have too. Maybe you could go by the dealer and ask them to let you tow a couple and see how the Pilot responds.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They were not very excited about the idea. But they reassured me it is no problem at all. That is when I got really worried.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually i just remembered a dealer in Alabama was going to take 47,400 out of the door and you pay taxes in your . This was for a 2016 sx240 as of this Tuesday.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
last year i was looking at a left over 2015... they were gonna do $47,900+tax no prep+4 yr warranty... I just couldn't spend that much money!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not saying a 190 isn't for you, but I don't know many that have bought one and stuck with it for the long haul. How much will you lose trading it back in? Probably more than the cost of a cheap truck. Storage, convenience, etc... easy button is easy, I'll give ya that. Just do what ya can to make sure it's enough before pulling the trigger. Didn't take me a full summer to realize it just wasn't gonna cut it for me, and I read that story alot on here.

And just sayin, if you gotta stick to that budget, after house mods/truck, you'd still have plenty left for a nice AR/SX 230, maybe even @robert843 's 240. And you could rock that for awhile and not lose much getting back out from under it to upgrade to a newer model if that's what you're after. (sorry if that was covered earlier in the thread, didn't read back through it all).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you are willing to go used there are some killer deals here, e.g. @robert843 is selling a loaded 2010 SX 240 for smoking good price. Plus you could get a used tow vehicle like and 07ish expedition or navagator for under $10k and about break even on the cost of a new 195 alone. The interest will be higher if you are financing but you get a lot more bang for each buck spent. Keep in mind the cost of the boat is only the beginning, Yamaha dealer may kick in some vests and an anchor or cover but everything else is extra and adds up fast.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I rented U haul F150 to tow my boat to Texoma 3 hrs each direction when my Ram blew it's trans. It had a reciver hitch and pulled surprising well. 5.0 motor. It didn't have an electronic trans which would have helped selecting the right gear in the hills. Over all not bad . I think it was about 200 dollars.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have been so excited and focused on finding the perfect Bimini boat, that I might have missed the part where I have to tow from Texas to Florida.

Has anyone towed a 240 on a pilot for 500-1000 miles ?

Our Pilot is 2016 4 wheel drive with the transmission cooler.
U might consider the 21' the Pilot won't have any problems with the 21'

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik, I use our '06 Pilot to tow the boat from storage to the ramp at the start of the season and back to storage at the end of the season - about 5 miles each way. Except for one overpass (and the ramp itself) the route is FLAT and theboat has a full tank of gas and one battery but other than that it and the Pilot are pretty much empty until I get back to the house/lift. Last May it happened to be in the low 90s and the Pilot's temp didn't budge but with 225k miles on the odometer I was watching it. Yeah, it's a BIG boat - and you notice just how big when you look out the mirrors of the Pilot or when you see it from a bit of a distance in a parking lot. Our SX240 just dwarfs the Pilot.

FWIW, picked up the boat in NH and never considered a drive from MD to NH, to our place in DE, and back home to MD. Rented a Ram 2500 from Enterprise Commercial. The rate I got (4/16/15) was $56.99 for four days, with 800 miles included and additional miles at $0.10 per mile - plus taxes. (If I remember correctly, I think I got 200 miles per day of rental...). Total trip with a few detours was around 1200 miles and the bill was just shy of $300, which I thought was pretty damn good!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Meant to add that a few weeks ago I rented a U-Haul 10' cube to move the boat since the Pilot is hurting - rate was a mere $19.95 per day but the mileage was a frightening $1.29 per mile! Only needed it for one day and put 28 miles on it (boat from ramp to house - most of the mileage was to and from the U-Haul place) and the total was $72.50 plus $7 in gas... (My problem now is that now that the Admiral has seen this math she's questioning replacing the Pilot with another tow-capable vehicle for two tows a year but I still want one! :))