• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can a Honda pilot tow a 240 for long distances ?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
U might consider the 21' the Pilot won't have any problems with the 21'
The 21' models weigh less but their beam width is the same and their height is similar. The primary issue is not the weight but the wind load. Towing one of our boats is like pulling a camper or a parachute. The load on our tow vehicles is much greater than the weight of the boat alone.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 21' models weigh less but their beam width is the same and their height is similar. The primary issue is not the weight but the wind load. Towing one of our boats is like pulling a camper or a parachute. The load on our tow vehicles is much greater than the weight of the boat alone.
Towed my wrapped 242 (lengthwise bow over the tower with tower up for wrapping) low to moderate winds for just a few miles with my 1/2 ton truck. Felt like I was towing my old camper with the wind load. Can also remember towing the boat on the highway in some highwinds with the truck this past summer and being hesitant about passing anybody or being passed because of the gusting winds and the impact it was having on my line.

I would tow a 21 foot yamaha with a pilot but the conditions would need to be good and the trip short.

@Betik - This a great group that gives it to you straight and like any group will have some differing opinions and experiences. I hope you find what you are looking for and can say based on what I have read here OTD pricing seems to be a regional thing. When looking at a pleasure purchase don't just look at the raw blue book values or compare to other things out there but also consider the value you place on it for your families enjoyment and memories. Good Luck.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce I have a 2016 Durango with a towing capacity of 6200LBS can I tow a 242LS thank you for your advice.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am going to second @AZDANSX230HO comment. Having towed much heavier loads than my ar230 ho with 5.7 gas, 7.3 diesel and current 6.6 turbo diesel, I find diesels work less to stop and go and less worrying about back road adventures. I would not use a Pilot to tow my lighter boat, not enough room left between trailered wt. and vehicle towing capacity.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mike & Lilly - My wifes car is a Durango R/T with 7,200 lbs towing capacity. I have never towed my 242 with the Durango because I have a 5.7l hemi half ton as well. My opinion based on experience with the truck and boat and knowing the Durango's capabilities is that if it has the 5.7l Hemi would be a qualified yes for limited towing. If it has the 5.7l it has the power but wind load, braking, total load, and being maxed on the suspension are factors to consider. AWD if equipped will help as well.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I have a 2016 Durango with a towing capacity of 6200LBS can I tow a 242LS thank you for your advice.
@MrMoose also tows with a Durango. What size engine does your Durango have? Does it have a transmission cooler? How far are you planning to tow?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure that a transmission cooler is standard equipment because it isn't an option that I can add at the dealership. The R/T has bigger (Brembo) brakes, which is a nice safety feature in case the trailer brakes fail. The R/T has the 8 cylinder Hemi, which has no problem pulling a fully loaded 2015 AR240. I'll be buying a new SUV in June because we're moving to Canada, and although I'd like a change, I'm still drawn back to the utility/value/performance of the Durango. I ticks all of the boxes for me. Some folks shy away from the Hemi motor because it needs 16 spark plugs. The dealership charged me $500 to change them. After paying them, I looked into why it costs so much. Turns out that some Hemi's (not my Durango) require peripheral components to be removed in order to access the spark plugs, and I think that Dodge used the same shop hrs for all regardless of model. I looked at my engine and had no problem accessing all of the spark plugs using a socket swivel and extension, so I changed the plugs myself at 65K miles with no problems.
I don't tow regularly because I keep my boat in valet storage, but I've made two trips to Ft. Lauderdale without any problems.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should add that I've never had to put the pedal to the floor when towing with my Durango R/T. Gear selection and torque are perfect for the weight that I tow. It comes standard with a tow/haul mode which prevents the transmission from shifting into overdrive, and I think that the vehicle stability switches to a different program to prevent trailer sway. Seems to work well.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks to everyone who comment on the Durango, just got of the Durango Forum and there are a few people pulling 5600 to 6000 lbs for 320 and 500 miles up north with no problems they said 60 miles Per hour handle good and safely, I don't have a boat just yet but once i get my 242LS I'll let u guys know how I'm doing,
P.s I'm only towing in Florida lol from Palm Coast to miami for Bimini lol

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
P.s I'm only towing in Florida lol from Palm Coast to miami for Bimini lol
Only towing in the flats of Florida is much easier than the hilly country most of is face.

Although you have not said what the configuration of your Durango is. Do you have a transmission cooler? If not adding one could extend the life of your transmission.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Being that I've been in the heavy towing world for that last 14 yrs, it has opened my eyes to all the confusion that is tow ratings. Most, if not all, commercial heavy trucks are capable of towing 90k-100k lbs but are limited to 80,000 per federal & state laws without proper permits.

In my opinion every vehicle can tow their max tow ratings with no problems, but where most people get in trouble is that they will load their vehicle with as much "stuff" as they can fit as well as the trailer, which will throw their max GCVWR out the window.

Tires are another big deal. Most light trucks & SUVs are equipped with "P" (Passenger) rated tires that are most times a 3rd less of what an "LT" (light truck) tire is load rated for. As for the trailer, mostly all I've seen in the size tires that come standard on Yamaha boat trailers are only rated for 65 mph max. Maybe this article will help take some of that confusion out. http://www.trucktrend.com/news/163-0910-truck-towing-capacity/

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Only towing in the flats of Florida is much easier than the hilly country most of is face.

Although you have not said what the configuration of your Durango is. Do you have a transmission cooler? If not adding one could extend the life of your transmission.
Sorry i don't know but it comes with 8 speed automatic transmission and it has 293 Horsepower its the V6 RWD.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry i don't know but it comes with 8 speed automatic transmission and i think it has 290 something Horsepower its the V6 RWD.
Your window sticker should say if you have a transmission cooler. Generally tow ratings go up when you add one. In your case it would be a matter of keeping the transmission cooler while going down the highway. The cooler operating temperature should reduce wear.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your window sticker should say if you have a transmission cooler. Generally tow ratings go up when you add one. In your case it would be a matter of keeping the transmission cooler while going down the highway. The cooler operating temperature should reduce wear.
Ok its 295 HP with 260 LB FT 8 speed transmission and it does have a transmission cooler in the front of the radiator more to the top side. All the durangos V6 with the towing setup comes with it automatically its not an option. Thank you for helping out I'm filling a little better

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You are not going to have a problem with the Durango, especially when you consider where and how often you're pulling. It will be fine.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You are not going to have a problem with the Durango, especially when you consider where and how often you're pulling. It will be fine.
Around my area it's only 5 to 10 miles depending on the ramp or 20 to 25 if going to the lakes the longest would be to miami on the Bimini trip with the group and that's I95 south for abot 300 miles maybe 320 ones a year lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alea iacta est....... :smug:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Latin for, "The Die is cast". What did you do/buy?