• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can jetboat handle rough water in ocean?

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
(1) 2021+ Models have a much deeper V-Hull, it’s a different boat from the 240 and a lot of folks are drawing on their experience or seeing videos of the older models. (2) IMO my 2021+ 252 and 275 takes pretty big swells really we’ll. (3) Good captain makes all the difference - going through the inlet put all of your passengers in the back, NO one in the bow. Must of the stuffing videos you see is 4-5 adults loaded in the bow. (4) Lastly as others have said - this boat is good enough to “survive” 6ft swells, but it doesn’t matter if you’re in this for a 35ft + CC it’s never going to be fun.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
old 20' boat here... I kinda limit my outings to 15 with gust to 20 MPH winds or less... Ive been caught outside the reef in 6' seas and that is a lot of work and not something i would launch into... I routinely run in 1-2' seas and often 2-4' seas and have no issues. over 3' ft seas takes some throttle and steering devotion...

Ive been in my buddys 42' Morgan Out island Ketch and it likes 6-8' seas and 20 MPH wind...

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
sx240 2013 .. been about 15 miles off shore no issues ... BUT i think anything over 3-4 fters Will be rough WITH ANY BOAT

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We have a 243 VRX and are in the ocean 95% of the time. We've have been out there with 5-6 footers! Not fun, we had a good bow stuff one time that had flip flops floating! But 5-6 footers aren't fun in any boat under 30 ft! We go out with a 24' Regulator, great deep V boat, but he bobs and bounces the same as we do! Sometimes worse! The flared sides keep him much drier than us but can't do much about that with an oversized jet ski (that's what the Regulator refers to us as). We're going into our 4th season and I've seen a couple 275's out there. Great boat and most of the time the people on it are dry and having a party! Sometimes you might have to stay on shore but most normal sized boats will be doing the same!

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
how about the SD, S or SE?
My Bimini trip was 4 firs I was doing 20 to 25 got there 45 mins ahead of my group, some were stopping too often so I told me see ya there by the time they arrive I had cleared everything and was just enjoying my drink by the time the first boat rolled in. I was the only 252se, the 242 ran out of gas was was only doing 14 mph, the others were on center consoles 21 t 27 feet.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My Bimini trip was 4 firs I was doing 20 to 25 got there 45 mins ahead of my group, some were stopping too often so I told me see ya there by the time they arrive I had cleared everything and was just enjoying my drink by the time the first boat rolled in. I was the only 252se, the 242 ran out of gas was was only doing 14 mph, the others were on center consoles 21 t 27 feet.
14mph….. is that even on plane? Best cruise is usually between 27-34 mph depending on the boat.. Our connext systems are great tools, and if the operator has a plan before leaving the operator can keep watch on the connext screen vs. expected time/location / fuel expended and clearly see how they are doing fuel wise. A few practice runs for mpg / mph in differing conditions will give you a really good idea of what to expect.

@lazergeek had a great real world experience a while back, he got I think 1.92mpg on a run in tougher conditions and had to get into his reserve, but that is what reserves are for.

I’m hoping to make some journeys this summer on some of the bigger fresh water lakes near me, Lake Oahe, and that lake is notorious for getting big high frequency wind driven waves quickly.. planning a trip of roughly 350 miles one way. That should provide some real world consumption numbers and sea worthiness.

@jocolo21 nice to see you back!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yeah 14mph too slow. Rough conditions I am probably low 20s. The Cruise Assist button is crucial for micro adjustments in tough conditions.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The cruise assist is a great tool! I get my boat up on plane, synch the engines at 6500 then use the cruise assist for the rest.

For the 4-5’ high freq waves I’ve been in, that’s when I slow to 14-16 mph and put up the bow as a shield. But I know at that speed my range and mpg are in the tank.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The cruise assist is a great tool! I get my boat up on plane, synch the engines at 6500 then use the cruise assist for the rest.

For the 4-5’ high freq waves I’ve been in, that’s when I slow to 14-16 mph and put up the bow as a shield. But I know at that speed my range and mpg are in the tank.
Agreed the weight distribution in our boats is a bit different depending on your model and what year you have - 14 to 16 when it’s really rough for me gets the bow nice and high (but also on plane) and I never come close to stuffing. Faster and it begins to level and gets close to stuffing

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The wave frequency and wind speed is the critical item to watch you can be in 6ft seas if the frequency is long on the waves and there are no white caps, the boat just goes up and down gently. If you get 3 foot choppy water in a shallow bay with white caps and short wave frequency it will beat the piss out of your boat. The Haulover inlet gets all types of inconsistent waves from boat traffic, wind conditions, water currents formed from incoming and out going tides, these wreak havoc on boaters due to the inconstant waves formed. Its all about timing the haulover inlet probabaly has calm seas at slack tide and off shore winds. The smart ones pobably pull up look at it and turn around the dumb boat sinkers just decide to go for it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Cambo has it. It's not just the wave size but the period and shape. My impression so far is that your body and personal pain tend to give up before the boat.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Check this out!!! Starts about 3:30. 252 repeatedly stuffing in big surf. Looks like he was keeping it around 5mph which may have contributed to the problem. I feel like if he would have worked the throttle he may have kept the bow a bit higher. Thoughts?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3:40 AND 7:02 mark was me. But conditions weren't as bad

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
3:40 AND 7:02 mark was me. But conditions weren't as bad

Smaller waves, but also smaller boat. Nicely done sir! You can see it great when you’re coming back in - bow is nice and high.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check this out!!! Starts about 3:30. 252 repeatedly stuffing in big surf. Looks like he was keeping it around 5mph which may have contributed to the problem. I feel like if he would have worked the throttle he may have kept the bow a bit higher. Thoughts?

Absolutely ! Way too slow… gotta ride the hump in those conditions!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its all about timing the haulover inlet probabaly has calm seas at slack tide and off shore winds.
Last fall we were down in the keys, and stopped at Haulover on the way back just to see what the fuss was. I've never seen calmer water in my life, lol - little disappointing but still got to see plenty of amazing boats that are rarely seen up north.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
14mph….. is that even on plane? Best cruise is usually between 27-34 mph depending on the boat.. Our connext systems are great tools, and if the operator has a plan before leaving the operator can keep watch on the connext screen vs. expected time/location / fuel expended and clearly see how they are doing fuel wise. A few practice runs for mpg / mph in differing conditions will give you a really good idea of what to expect.

@lazergeek had a great real world experience a while back, he got I think 1.92mpg on a run in tougher conditions and had to get into his reserve, but that is what reserves are for.

I’m hoping to make some journeys this summer on some of the bigger fresh water lakes near me, Lake Oahe, and that lake is notorious for getting big high frequency wind driven waves quickly.. planning a trip of roughly 350 miles one way. That should provide some real world consumption numbers and sea worthiness.

@jocolo21 nice to see you back!
Glad to be ba k brother