• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cancelling Yamaha Y.E.S. Warranty

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
It appears that I am having difficulty with Yamaha (if my dealer is "going to bat" for us) regarding a basic warranty repair. Our new 2020 SX195 arrived with a gel coat chip I would say was a mold release defect. Why it left the factory like that is another matter. I had heard such positive things about Yamaha and our 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser was so flawless that the latest issue (2 plus months and no approval for repair from Yamaha) makes me question their customer commitment. For added insurance I wanted to purchase the Y.E.S. 5 year extended warranty. Because it was a factory warranty I felt it would be honored with respect. Our disturbing relationship with Yamaha so far has my wife saying let's cancel the contract and just put that money aside for any repair if needed. That way I could also go to any dealer for a repair not just the one who sold us the boat. The Y.E.S. warranty was my idea, the wife didn't agree. QUESTION (please) - how have any of you been treated if needing the Y.E.S. warranty? I know a lot is dealer dependent but Yamaha still has to approve and pay. Any and all opinions appreciated - including your wife was right go and apologize to her and cancel the friggin contract! :cool:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Extended warranties are the biggest profit items for all companies in all industries. For every person that had a major item fixed under warranty there are 100 that paid and received no benefit. Sales folks in some industries receive up to 25% commission on extended warranties.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Well ...... your wife was right go and apologize to her and cancel the friggin contract! :cool:
@ZGhost .....Thank you very much for the speedy response. I appreciate your advice.....it sure won't be the first time I have apologized in 16 years! LOL :cool:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Extended warranties are the biggest profit items for all companies in all industries. For every person that had a major item fixed under warranty there are 100 that paid and received no benefit. Sales folks in some industries receive up to 25% commission on extended warranties.
@scokill .....thank you for the speedy reply and the informative comments! :cool:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Never had any issues. It is very dealer dependent. You don't have to use the dealer you bought it from.
That way I could also go to any dealer for a repair not just the one who sold us the boat.
Not sure what you are saying here....did someone tell you that you have to use only the dealer that sold you the warranty????

Where is the chip? Did you document it at turn over? Did you take photos?

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not all warranties are created equal, but yeah they wouldn't exist if every customer was to get their moneys worth out of them. Neither would insurance. Being profitable isn't what makes them bad.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Never had any issues. It is very dealer dependent. You don't have to use the dealer you bought it from.

Not sure what you are saying here....did someone tell you that you have to use only the dealer that sold you the warranty????

Where is the chip? Did you document it at turn over? Did you take photos?
@Julian, first, thank you for the speedy reply and insightful questions: awesome!!!!! Yes, pictures were taken the day of pick-up. The dealer agreed that it "must have" arrived that way. To be honest it looked like someone at the factory had tried to do a last minute touch-up which was totally crap. Up to that point the dealer was 100% ok. Then the delays started. It's been months.

No, I was not told that I had to stick with my present dealer but the nearest one is almost a three hour drive away. That would be ok as I hear they are awesome and maybe what I will ultimately have to do.

My other concern is that I have heard from friends and a couple of boat service managers (not a Yamaha one) that they don't get paid "standard shop time" for warranty work and actually lose money doing it. This makes me question the value of the Y.E.S. warranty.

But my biggest concerns are: 1. If this is how a "minor" - "no-brainer" - issue is being handled - on a brand new boat - by Yamaha - how will they react if say I need a new head under then Y.E.S. warranty. 2. If this is taking time because my dealer is not "all nover" Yamaha on this issue or doesn't have enough volume to have Yamaha's respect maybe I would be better to cancel Y.E.S. and just go to another dealer with cash? :cool:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not all warranties are created equal, but yeah they wouldn't exist if every customer was to get their moneys worth out of them. Neither would insurance. Being profitable isn't what makes them bad.
Actually, in many if not all states, things like home owners and auto insurance is regulated. The profit for extended warranties for consumer items, auto, boats, etc., is excessive IMO and unregulated. I'm not saying that they don't provide benefits, but the odds are ALWAYS against you and you would be better off over a lifetime being self insured when it comes to these types of warranties. Homeowners and Auto is typically required by lender or law and is apples and oranges and moot.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is so dealer dependent. My dealer (Chatlee) has been fast and efficient in their warranty work. BUT - I've always had it down over the winter. Never had an issue that I wanted fixed in the summer where I was willing to lose the boat for some period. Summer time fixes will always be slow. What I do is drop it off at the dealer at the end of the season with a list of warranty work (makes it sound long...usually 1-2 items) and say - call me when its fixed. Then I touch base with them in Jan just to see where its at.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, in many if not all states, things like home owners and auto insurance is regulated. The profit for extended warranties for consumer items, auto, boats, etc., is excessive IMO and unregulated. I'm not saying that they don't provide benefits, but the odds are ALWAYS against you and you would be better off over a lifetime being self insured when it comes to these types of warranties. Homeowners and Auto is typically required by lender or law and is apples and oranges.
It's all the same model though. The 99 cover the 1, and the company makes profit. Profit is necessary for them to exist. If the odds were in your favor they wouldn't sell warranties, and you wouldn't even want to buy the product to begin with because it's crap. It's all just peace of mind. Depending on things like customer service, price, and other individual factors they may or may not be a good buy for someone.

I agree with you on being self insured, but when someone buys a warranty they aren't worried about a few scratches they are worried about something catastrophic. Not everyone can self insure for that.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's all the same model though. The 99 cover the 1, and the company makes profit. Profit is necessary for them to exist. If the odds were in your favor they wouldn't sell warranties, and you wouldn't even want to buy the product to begin with because it's crap. It's all just peace of mind. Depending on things like customer service, price, and other individual factors they may or may not be a good buy for someone.

I agree with you on being self insured, but when someone buys a warranty they aren't worried about a few scratches they are worried about something catastrophic. Not everyone can self insure for that.
most of the claims I see in here are minor. Nothing major. In 13 years have seen very few if any catastrophic failures fixed under warranty. But peace of mind is worth it to some folks.