• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Candid Advice on Technology “Roll Down”

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hello Everyone!

New to the forum. I have been doing my research and was about to pull the trigger on a 2019 242 Limited S E-Series. Then yesterday happened, and Yamaha introduced the 275 Series.... Great....

I don’t need a 27’ Boat; however, I do like the DRIVE system, updated Helm, and the in-water swim platform seating.

Being new to Yamaha, what is the likelihood that these features will roll down to the 24’ Series in 2020?

This is a big purchase, and while I’m sure this seems like FOMO, I would hate to miss some of those features if Yamaha tends to roll them down to the other classes.

Thanks for the help!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The drive paddles are unlikely to trickle down due to cost. Someone will come out with a way to retrofit those swim seats. The helm is not that different in a 2018+ 242 e series. For me FOMO would be missing a whole season of boating.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh yeah welcome. Lots and lots of useful info here. :Welcome::Welcome::Welcome:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
the 242 LSE is a great boat. You will be happy. And have it now. do it!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
There is always going to some new shiny thing on the horizon, its way the world works - I'd say don't wait around for what might be.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Eventually some of the technology will trickle down, but first it has to have adoption and raving customers for that to happen. I've not driven the DRiVE system yet, it looks interesting but time will tell if it is a home run. If it is, I can imagine it wouldn't be hard to add to the E-Series boats.

Those in water seats on the other hand, I think we'll see a high demand for them and both after market and Yamaha moving that down to their other models - its just too easy not to. I'm hoping @JetBoatPilot has a solution for this pretty soon - Will is pretty good and quick at innovating on this stuff, so I expect we'll see something soon (unless Yamaha has it locked up in patents).

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eventually some of the technology will trickle down, but first it has to have adoption and raving customers for that to happen. I've not driven the DRiVE system yet, it looks interesting but time will tell if it is a home run. If it is, I can imagine it wouldn't be hard to add to the E-Series boats.

Those in water seats on the other hand, I think we'll see a high demand for them and both after market and Yamaha moving that down to their other models - its just too easy not to. I'm hoping @JetBoatPilot has a solution for this pretty soon - Will is pretty good and quick at innovating on this stuff, so I expect we'll see something soon (unless Yamaha has it locked up in patents).
I saw a reply from Will on FB saying they were already working on the seating👍

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A good way to look at "trickle down" is something a lot simpler/easier. Hinged seats. The 2019 19ft boats just now got them, and they've been on the 24's for what 3-4 years? That's a pretty easy update compared to some of these other things like DRiVE.

Buy the boat you want now, don't waste a season waiting on a bigger/better/fancier one. Just like photography, the best boat to have is the one you have. If in 3 years you're dying for some new features, trade it in and get a newer one. I bet you'll still be pretty happy with the one you bought though!

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thank you to everyone for all of the feedback and different perspectives. I think I agree that I will definitely miss more by missing another whole year! 2019 242 Limited SE, here we come!