• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cape Lookout Shootout pics.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was lucky enough to have been a part of the Cape Lookout shootout today. The weather was great and the water was beautiful. Didn't make the run in our Yamaha, we were on a friends boat.20150919_101307.jpg 20150919_123227.jpg 20150919_120939.jpg 20150919_121336.jpg 20150919_105315.jpg

20150919_122518.jpg IMG_8472.jpg 20150919_162609.jpg 20150919_134735.jpg

Niiiiiiiice!

Optimal serious go-fast boating experience you had there (riding on friend's:p)!

@GTBRMC .....yeah, it was a cool experience. We were on my neighbors 48' Fountain Express cruiser. It has (4) Merc. 350's. My son got to ride with a couple of his friends in that yellow 53' Outerlimits powerboat. It has twin 1200hp Merlin 572 big blocks with Whipple superchargers. He is officially the only one in our family that has officially gone over 100 mph in a boat now. We all rode back to the dock in Cape Carteret in that Blue 38' Fountain. Heck, I think that was my first time going 70 mph on the water.

See! Honey! The go fast boats ARE family friendly! And here you thought we needed a bow rider, ha!

Awesome time you guys had and I am a bit jealous. Fastest I have gone is 65 and that was in the exciter feeling lije I was about to flip if I hit a waterbug.

@redthumper9; INCREDIBLY superb photos !!!!!!!!!!
So envious ! WOW.
Well, this has just become 1 of the best posts ever made here. Any more photos ?
Yamaha sure could learn alot about gorgeous graphics from some of these boats @!

Many thanks ............. and all this does is prove, once and forever ........
.boat011507 - x1.jpg

@redthumper9 Always wondered...how loud is it inside one of those beasts at speed?

@GTBRMC .....the 38' Fountain that we rode in had (2) 525hp big blocks. It was no louder in the cabin than our Yamahas. The 53' Outerlimits that my son rode in would shake your teeth standing behind it, but they said in the cabin it sounded like an airplane.

Awesome looking boats! Not sure I'd EVER buy a go fast boat with a fully enclosed cabin like the one in the middle! I like being outdoors when I boat...that is just strange.

Thanks for posting these pics and those are incredible boats. I like what @MikeyL said about Yamaha taking some tips on graphics since those are some great looking boats. I ran around at 50 MPH today in the LS and I can't imagine running at over 100 MPH. I know those boats carve through the large waves but I have also seen some epic fail videos with these boats. Do people wear any special gear other than life vests? Helmets for the over 100 MPH trials?

Those boats are simply amazing and beautiful. I really hope I get to see some of them in person someday. You just don't see any boats like that in central Indiana though, at least I haven't. Maybe @Speedling can be one of the first.

@scot71 That's why you gotta get on the big lake up here! Lake Michigan has big boats all the time! You can't have a hot day out on boaters beach without a few go fast boats. Or at least a few out on the water driving past. I typically see a few catamaran racers as well. LOVE seeing the big engines and such. Brings me back to my uhmmmmm racing days with the mustang.... which got totalled. Twice...

I'll reply more later and answer some of your questions, but for now, here is a quick video I uploaded while out there. This was a few of them going out the inlet in Beaufort taking the left turn to head to Cape Lookout. The ocean was quite calm, but Beaufort inlet is always pretty rough as you can see. No wonder Blackbeards ship is at the bottom less than two miles from where we are!

@scot71 That's why you gotta get on the big lake up here! Lake Michigan has big boats all the time! You can't have a hot day out on boaters beach without a few go fast boats. Or at least a few out on the water driving past. I typically see a few catamaran racers as well. LOVE seeing the big engines and such. Brings me back to my uhmmmmm racing days with the mustang.... which got totalled. Twice...
I'm putting it on the books for next year definitely. I'd love to get some time in on the big lake.

Those are gorgeous boats! Thanks for posting up the photos. When we lived in NJ my best friends neighbor gave us a ride in his twin turbine helicopter powered boat "Jetset" he took us 138mph on Barnegat bay and I just remember thinking the whole time about those speedboats that flip over backwards:eek:. The more scared he saw me the faster he went... It was an experience for sure. Makes me appreciate boating at 35mph. :)

138 would be awesome! This would be awesomer! (Yes I know that's not a word)

So a little background. My neighbor has been in and around the powerboat scene for years. Although he owns a cruiser now, he has had several "go fast" and multiple engine center consoles. They have done poker runs and gatherings all over the country. That is how we were ultimately invited on this outing.
The driver of the yellow 53' Outerlimits that my son rode on is a friend of his. His name is Brian and he used to work for Fountain powerboats here in NC. He is a World Champion powerboat racer and was the driver of the World Record V-hull run made just last year at over 180mph. See the video below (Brian is the tall one in the blue shirt)

Now after watching that, you may remember this crash at lake of the Ozarks last year.....

The person killed was the owner of Outerlimits powerboats, Mike Fiore. He was good friends with both my neighbor and Brian.
That yellow boat is owned by a person in Denver, the Orange 51' is from Chicago and the Red one is from Virginia. They literally ship their boats to Wilmington NC to have Brian work on them. He is apparently that good.
@MikeyL .....yes I do have more pics and some footage. Eventually I will put together a video.
One thing I did learn.....if Morehead City can accommodate this, they could certainally accommodate a Yamaha gathering. There is a hotel directly in front of the public docks, as well as a public park (for cookouts) and several restaurants within a stones throw. Swansboro, Emerald Isle, Shackleford Banks and Cape Lookout would all be accessible with our Yammies!

....and one more thing I learned. I'm a sucker for the sound of a V8 on the water, especially the sound of those blown big blocks. It was an awesome experience just watching my son ride in a million dollar boat and if I was ultra wealty.....sure, why not. But those boats are good for two things, going fast in a straight line, and looking bad ass! It made me further appreciate the versatility of our Yamahas and I realized there really is anything else I'd rather have for me and my family's use right now. I'll leave you with one more. Yes, my son and his buddies are in it.

That flyby was cool! Hope to have the privilege of riding in a beast like that one day.

Couple more captured from video

missgrace2.png missgrace1.png

Back