• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Carvana

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm looking to get a good used car for my 17 year old daughter. My neighbor just bought an SUV off of Carvana. He said it was a good deal. Any others on here have any experience good/bad with Carvana. I'm looking at the Ford Fusions and they seem to be very competitive on Carvana.

Also anyone have any experience with buying a used car and the Carfax saying that the car was part of a "lease, fleet, or rental fleet" history. I'm thinking that many of these Fusions end up being company cars, but I'm also weary of getting one that was a fleet rental car. I'm sure they are well taken care of, just not sure about 1,000 people's DNA being in the car????

<Edited by admin to add url to Carvana>

Last edited by a moderator:

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
just not sure about 1,000 people's DNA being in the car????
I guess I've been using rental cars all wrong. I usually just drive them... :happy:

A few trucks ago I purchased a used Hertz rental, never had a problem with it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not used it, and have a few years yet before I have to think about this problem! But did just have an interesting discussion with a co-worker about him and his daughter's car buying process. He wants to get her something with all the latest safety tech (lane keeping, auto braking etc)....so he's going with leasing his cars from now on, so he can get the latest safety features. I've never leased...typically buy a car, keep it for 10 years, then buy another new one. But that leaves me with old tech. My brother just talked my dad into trading in his Buick in for the latest Hyundai Genesis that has all the safety features (he's getting scary to drive with!)....hopefully that will keep him (and others) on the road safer....

Interesting how technology might change my buying habits....and with my daughter....who know...perhaps I'll get her the new (not released yet) Telsa 3 with Self drive???

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently heard of another one that appears to be similar to Carvana: Vroom
A friend of a friend (no seriously!) used it and got the car delivered to him, just strange buying a car with an app... Kids these days! :rolleyes:

I haven't heard or used any of these, but they are getting more popular from what I have heard. With all these sites it's so hard to sell a used car without posting (and paying) for all the different sites (AutoTrader, eBay Motors, CarSoup, Cars.com, etc.). I have no idea what people regularly user to look for used cars anymore!?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought about leasing. But I would rather finance something gently used and save the depreciation. This will be my daughters second car. Basically the car that gets her through college. We paid cash for the first car which was a 2001 Honda Accord and let that car be the one to get all the "oops" moments in. Now the Honda gets handed down to the 16 year old.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BigN8 - I don't have any experience on those sites or with fleet vehicles. I bought my daughter a used 5 year old low milage car direct from the original owner a couple of years ago (found on craigslist). Zero problems with the car so far. I think the new safety features are great. However except for the newest one that knows if both hands are on the wheel I think a new driver should get a feel for the road without them. I have found myself feeling disconnected from the road with all of that stuff. Must say that I am a proud father who sleeps just a bit better at night to see my daughter stick her right hand behind the passenger headrest as she cranes around backing up along with the other good habits.

Now when she gets her graduation present with all the bells and whistles she will at least have a better feel for the road.