• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Central FL and no boat yet!

Binnster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello from the perfect place to have a jetboat... Moved here from Colorado where boating exists but barely, so never had or wanted a boat. That's changed, but I am in manatee country up here and don't want a prop to worry about when I'm in the rivers and bays where they like to congregate in the winter. Yes, I could still take one out (or it could take me out) if I hit it at speed, but not having a prop just makes me worry less.

Don't have kids to pull behind, just looking for something to get out where it's quiet and fish for a while. Been looking around at used boats, probably won't buy one for another few months but wanted to say hi to everyone here and learn what I can while still staying dry.

Have already had some good laughs reading about all the common mistakes that I hope I won't make but now won't feel so bad when I do! I have a long list of them from dragging a camper around in my former life, figure a boat is the same type of learning curve but without a sewage tank so that can only be good news. :)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

Don't be too excited about the lack of a sewage tank. Many of our boats have a head compartment and many of us actually put a port a potty in there. It is a different experience than pumping out the camper but you still get to empty it. And once people figure out you have it they will always be coming to your boat!

Enough with that unpleasantness. Lack of a prop is great for safety for those on board and all but the smallest animals below. I hope you have a fun time shopping. It is a good time of the year to be doing so! Once you get your boat you can make most of us jealous with the wonderful weather you are having while we are freezing.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome aboard and good luck with your search for your boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Binnster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks! I never thought about a porta potty, that's a pretty good idea. There is a propensity of lyngbya in the local bay, which is technically algae but it's nasty and weed-like and I am concerned about that mucking up things. Still, if I had to stick to the gulf to use the boat, I am pretty sure I could live with that. Thanks for running such a great forum, I stayed up way too late reading posts last night. :happy:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum. If you move forward with a purchase, you will get better support here than at any dealership or repair shop.......and it is quick, easy and FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Wanted to add a welcome as well @Binnster ...Welcome Aboard! You know they say the two greatest days in a boat owners life is the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it. That may be true of most makes of boats, but you won't feel that way with a Yamaha. The ease of maintenance and low cost of ownership because of that makes it a boat to keep. Believe me, I know, I sold my '08 SX230 after 5 years of ownership and was sad the very first day after it left. I made life long friends of the team that now owns her. But the reality of losing my pride and joy settled in over the next few months...Until I convinced my wife we needed to just replace it! So we bought the '12 SX240 and it is indeed another great Yamaha.

Ingesting vegetation can be a pain and if you have to ride long distances in areas with it, no boat, prop or jet, will function too well in it. And even though a jet doesn't draft much, you still want to maintain 2' of clearance below the keel when running slow. On plane, the boat only drafts about 8-10" of water, and speed prevents it from vacuuming the bottom into the pump. So hopefully this will work for you. I sure would love to see those sea cows up close, they are indeed a peaceful animal that I am told is pretty friendly. Good luck on the search and decision...and once again, WELCOME ABOARD!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Binnster .... Welcome Aboard:Welcome: Where in Central Florida are you living?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Binnster glad that you found us. Good luck with your search and feel free to ask any questions that you might have about buying one. Just be forewarned, this site usually leans towards spending as much of your $ as possible when given the chance. It's what we do best ;)

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:Welcome: to the forums! I thought shopping for a boat was half the fun! But then again, I spent 8 years shopping, and 3.5 months finally boating. (the boating, it turns out, is more than half of the fun). Look forward to following your journey.

Randall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just moved to Tampa a year ago from Richmond, VA, and we just bought a 2016 SX190. We've had it out a couple of times launching at Anclote, Phillipe, and Tarpon, and have had a blast so far. This area definitely is a great place to own a Yamaha jet boat. I bought the SX190 for its price and size, as I can store it in my garage - realized after I put it away that I could have fit the 21 footer. And the Yamaha boats are light, and simple to tow (Grand Caravan) and launch.
Looking forward to many more outings. We bought from Cycle Springs in Clearwater and are really happy with the folks there.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Congrats @Randall , you will love the ease of maintenance and user friendly nature of the Yamaha...and this forum! We are here to enjoy with you, and to help! Congrats and welcome aboard!

Binnster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Howdy neighbor! Glad to hear you had a good experience at Cycle Springs, @Randall, I've been keeping an eye on their website for a used boat!