• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Children Lifejacket

Kane Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have 2 children. 2 & 5. As such I am aware that they have to wear a PFD at all times while on the lake. But I was wondering what you all may do to make this a bit more comfortable for them while at anchor and on the boat taking a nap etc.

I have noticed the automatic inflatables for adults, and wondered if there were something like that for children??

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe if you are at anchor they do not have to wear a PFD. Check your local rules and regs.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some states say they only have to wear them while under way, so when you are anchored they wouldn't have to wear it.
I have a 2 year old and 7 year old and just bought the most comfortable ones we could find for them, neither one complain about them, the 2 year old falls asleep as soon as the boat starts usually.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
In Ohio, children are not required to wear vests while underway. This being the case we use the puddle jumpers when ever they are in the boat. If they get on a tube then they go into actual life jackets. Mine are age 2&5 also.

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Jumper-Basic-Jacket/dp/B00364E0C6

From Stearns Website:
  • US Coast Guard-approved when worn on boats

(Edited: Removed comment about depth of Lake)

Last edited:

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@ACRDSPORT14 you are correct. Water depth has nothing to do with life jackets. Edited my comment to remove as to not mislead or misinform anyone with our use of the puddle jumpers.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
TX, i just didn't want anyone to see that comment and think that water depth was a factor in a drowning.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I to have a 3 & 5 year old, and they wear a life jacket at all times regardless if we're underway or at anchor. I just bought the nicest life jackets that fit the best I could find.

I would recommend taking them to try them on and get the most comfortable and best quality you can get regardless of how fast they grow out of them. It's worth a few extra bucks to have a nice fitting one, that way they are comfortable and don't fight you on wearing them.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....if you haven't read or watched the Informational Drowning Doesn't look like what they show on TV link in the FAQ and elsewhere, you should...please. Until my daughter became a good swimmer (IE ... on a team), she had to wear a life jacket at all times on the water (on the dock, in the boat, at anchor). Now we will let her take it off at anchor, but she has to have a noodle with her - still life jacket at all other times. There are too many idiots out there. You get hit by another boat and someone bangs their head and goes over board.....scary.

But as others say, buy the most comfortable one you can find. Make sure the don't "Turtle" in it. I have more kids life jackets than I know what to do with. But when guests come on board I'm glad I have a wide selection for them to chose from!

http://www.today.com/health/drowning-often-quick-silent-how-spot-someone-trouble-6C10223428

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/clip/10335027/drowning-is-silent

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For very young children, I highly recommend life jackets with a handle behind their head that an adult can grab if necessary to hoist them out of the water if needed.

Not necessarily recommending this particular jacket (grabbed photo from the 'net), but this is the type of handle I described above (black loop at top of photo):
life jacket with handle.JPG

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll share a thought or two on the subject of life preservers. Infants are usually fairly compliant and sleep most of the time anyway. Age 2 and up, they can be challenging.

I have fought the battle with more than one rug rat in my time and have learned that the best way to get a kid to wear a life jacket is to heavily sedate them.
Oh, wait, no I didn't really mean that. (yes, I did)

The thought of staying behind is usually enough to get them to put one on, keeping it on is another story. Before you run out and buy the one you think is most comfortable and has all the bells and whistles, remember that they are likely to outgrow it in a year. Not so bad if you have others to pass it along to.

The neoprene type, while maybe more comfortable can also get "hot and itchy" according to my grandkids. And some kids don't like wearing them after they have been floating in them all day and they are soaked.

Recently I was approached by the local P.D. where we boat and they asked if they could try some life preservers on the kids - and take some photos (your Boating dollars hard at work) the they gave the PFD's to the kids as thanks for modeling them. Turns out that the kids prefer these very light weight cheap nylon and foam PFD's better than the "Cool" ones we bought them. Go figure.

Oh, and don't go telling them that they only have to wear them while underway....then it becomes a debate. If you are a kid and you want on my boat, you wear a PFD. That's MY rule and I don't need no stinkin' badge to enforce it.

And for some reason the little buggers seem to line up to get on board....it wouldn't be because "Pa drives crazy", would it? :rolleyes:

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have the nicer neoprene vests for our kids (3 & 5), both fit well and because of that they have no problem wearing them. I think both are the Overtons brand, not 100% on that though. Yesterday our 3 yo even forgot he had it on. :D

We have a rule in our boat that the kids wear them when underway or if they can't touch the bottom of the lake when we are at anchor. Before that rule went into place we had a small kid remove their vest when at anchor (~5ft of water) and accidentally slipped off the swim platform where they were sitting and kicking their feet in the water. Needless to say 2 adults jumped right in to grab the kid. In the end everyone was fine (minus a cell phone), but very scary and from then on we needed to change the rules a bit on jackets for kids.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glassman agree that the neoprene ones are preferred by the kids, but when they get wet they aren't so good. Which is why I keep backups on board whenever possible so they can switch to a dry life jacket.....anything to reduce the discomfort (and valid associated whining).

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For toddlers I like the Hyperlite jacket. It has a REALLY big hood for their head and a grab handle as well. I wish they would put 2 stomach straps on these vests, but they don't - either way that's what I use for infant vests.

For 30#+ kids I use the oneill wakeboarding jacket like this one: http://www.marine-products.com/oneill-teen-uscg-vest-3291-k78.html - note... I can't really tell the sizing information on this vest, but oneill does make smaller vests for 30-75# kids.

I've found that if you get one of these nicer fitting jackets then you don't need to lug 2 jackets around with you everywhere. These are pretty comfortable, and other than kids complaining "well they aren't wearing a life jacket" when we are walking on the docks, I don't get any complaints about comfort.

While I only have a newborn of my own, I live in Utah and everyone I take out has 5 million kids it seems... so I would say that my sample size for testing is reasonably large :).

Kane Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe if you are at anchor they do not have to wear a PFD. Check your local rules and regs.
Our kids haven't complained(YET!). But my son seemed a bit uncomfortable laying down the other day.
We have multiple sizes/types for them and guest to try!

Little girl LOVES her princess one(layered foam). So haven't had her try a neoprene one.

Thank you all for the suggestions and information! It helps to know I am not "THAT" mean dad out on the lake!

Kane

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been told that the best PFD you can buy for kids as far as safety and comfort go is the "Mustang" brand that @GTBRMC attached a photo of. That said, if I had purchased those jackets they wouldn't have been needed because it would have eaten up all the boat-gas money considering how fast my 4 kids grow.

We've had several struggles over the years with Life-Jackets: My two older daughters have developed rashes from certain materials and/or colors so there have been years that we've had to buy multiple PFDs to keep everyone happy and comfortable. Suggestion: If you have multiple children (especially if you've got at least "one of each") then get neutral colors. Your son will not appreciate the hand-me-down of a pink life jacket that his older sister has outgrown.

As far as getting them to keep it on. Well, that's where your authority as a parent comes in. We have ways of making you wear your PFD. (Use a Russian or German accent for that one - your choice.) There is a problem, of course, if it's someone else's kid giving you trouble. If that happens then the trip ends and folks just don't get re-invited. Safety is not a subject open to debate or worrying about hard feelings.

WI requires PFDs "when underway." So if you're not anchored or tied to a pier/dock, then you're considered "underway." (Drifting is defined as "Underway with no way on.")

Our rule is that you WILL wear your PFD in the boat while underway. This applies to adults as well. As Master and Commander of this vessel, you will comply by my rules or enjoy the day from the shore. Your choice. I don't want the added worry of wondering how long you can swim after you do something dumb and fall overboard. I'd rather take my sweet time to come back and get you. (I have made only ONE exception to this rule: My Sister-In-Law's husband is an amateur body builder and finding a vest to fit him reasonably would be nearly impossible so I just had him sit right next to one of those cheap "horseshoe" type PFDs. He could have gotten it on if he HAD to in an emergency - we did make sure of that, but it wouldn't have been much fun.)

At anchor/at the dock is another story. When we anchor to swim, you may remove your PFD. If you are a child, you WILL wait until Mom and Dad are ready to have "eyes on" before you go out on the swim deck. At the dock, I make them keep the PFDs on until they are away from the water area. Chris and I keep ours on as well just in case something stupid happens during recovery.

(You'll notice I'm kind of a "d**k" when it comes to safety. I spend 8 hours a day in an industrial setting and I know what happens when you ignore or "look away" from safety rules. These may be toys we are playing with but they are big pieces of equipment operating in an environment that human beings do not normally operate in. We need to keep our focus on safety. And believe it or not, you can still have fun while being safe. In fact, you get to have more fun because bad situations generally don't go "from bad to worse" when you've got your safety controls in place. So you fix the bad situation and get on with the fun.)

The good news is that of the 4 kids we only have one left who cannot "truly" swim yet - but he's getting there. In fact, a few years ago, the eldest daughter pulled John from the pool after he "forgot he couldn't swim" (Boys... I swear...) and went in without water wings. (The adult present (their Uncle) was watching and was about to dive in fully clothed, but Katie had John out of the water before you could say "boo" so no phone or wallet got ruined.) I wouldn't rely on their swimming ability for safety, but it's nice to know it's there if things go really, really wrong.

Post-swimming can be an issue for the ones who still have to wear PFDs while swimming. Usually it means putting on a cold and wet PFD when it's time to get back underway. Once again, having older kids has helped this problem because now we just use water-wings on John. Matt actually has two PFDs with us - his own and a hand-me-down from John that he wears while swimming. This keeps the regular PFDs dry.

One thing about toddlers on the beach and in shallow water: Do NOT put life-jackets on them. They tend to fall over forward and cannot "get their feet under themselves" to stand back up again. This leaves them face-down in the water. We learned this quickly with our Oldest. Of course I was standing within 6 inches of her and staring at her the whole time so we only got a minor scare. Had I been relying on that PFD to keep her safe... well - who knows.

Kane Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been told that the best PFD you can buy for kids as far as safety and comfort go is the "Mustang" brand that @GTBRMC attached a photo of. That said, if I had purchased those jackets they wouldn't have been needed because it would have eaten up all the boat-gas money considering how fast my 4 kids grow.

We've had several struggles over the years with Life-Jackets: My two older daughters have developed rashes from certain materials and/or colors so there have been years that we've had to buy multiple PFDs to keep everyone happy and comfortable. Suggestion: If you have multiple children (especially if you've got at least "one of each") then get neutral colors. Your son will not appreciate the hand-me-down of a pink life jacket that his older sister has outgrown.

As far as getting them to keep it on. Well, that's where your authority as a parent comes in. We have ways of making you wear your PFD. (Use a Russian or German accent for that one - your choice.) There is a problem, of course, if it's someone else's kid giving you trouble. If that happens then the trip ends and folks just don't get re-invited. Safety is not a subject open to debate or worrying about hard feelings.

WI requires PFDs "when underway." So if you're not anchored or tied to a pier/dock, then you're considered "underway." (Drifting is defined as "Underway with no way on.")

Our rule is that you WILL wear your PFD in the boat while underway. This applies to adults as well. As Master and Commander of this vessel, you will comply by my rules or enjoy the day from the shore. Your choice. I don't want the added worry of wondering how long you can swim after you do something dumb and fall overboard. I'd rather take my sweet time to come back and get you. (I have made only ONE exception to this rule: My Sister-In-Law's husband is an amateur body builder and finding a vest to fit him reasonably would be nearly impossible so I just had him sit right next to one of those cheap "horseshoe" type PFDs. He could have gotten it on if he HAD to in an emergency - we did make sure of that, but it wouldn't have been much fun.)

At anchor/at the dock is another story. When we anchor to swim, you may remove your PFD. If you are a child, you WILL wait until Mom and Dad are ready to have "eyes on" before you go out on the swim deck. At the dock, I make them keep the PFDs on until they are away from the water area. Chris and I keep ours on as well just in case something stupid happens during recovery.

(You'll notice I'm kind of a "d**k" when it comes to safety. I spend 8 hours a day in an industrial setting and I know what happens when you ignore or "look away" from safety rules. These may be toys we are playing with but they are big pieces of equipment operating in an environment that human beings do not normally operate in. We need to keep our focus on safety. And believe it or not, you can still have fun while being safe. In fact, you get to have more fun because bad situations generally don't go "from bad to worse" when you've got your safety controls in place. So you fix the bad situation and get on with the fun.)

The good news is that of the 4 kids we only have one left who cannot "truly" swim yet - but he's getting there. In fact, a few years ago, the eldest daughter pulled John from the pool after he "forgot he couldn't swim" (Boys... I swear...) and went in without water wings. (The adult present (their Uncle) was watching and was about to dive in fully clothed, but Katie had John out of the water before you could say "boo" so no phone or wallet got ruined.) I wouldn't rely on their swimming ability for safety, but it's nice to know it's there if things go really, really wrong.

Post-swimming can be an issue for the ones who still have to wear PFDs while swimming. Usually it means putting on a cold and wet PFD when it's time to get back underway. Once again, having older kids has helped this problem because now we just use water-wings on John. Matt actually has two PFDs with us - his own and a hand-me-down from John that he wears while swimming. This keeps the regular PFDs dry.

One thing about toddlers on the beach and in shallow water: Do NOT put life-jackets on them. They tend to fall over forward and cannot "get their feet under themselves" to stand back up again. This leaves them face-down in the water. We learned this quickly with our Oldest. Of course I was standing within 6 inches of her and staring at her the whole time so we only got a minor scare. Had I been relying on that PFD to keep her safe... well - who knows.
Great Post....Totally agree with everything you stated!!!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, and don't go telling them that they only have to wear them while underway....then it becomes a debate. If you are a kid and you want on my boat, you wear a PFD..
I agree completely. Remove ALL loopholes and keep the rules simple. Otherwise kids will manipulate every possible interpretation :facepalm: