• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering boat with structural hull repair

LakeMeadePA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am looking at a 2014 AR192 that was noted as having a structural repair. I got the invoice from the marina selling it and it was an insurance claim for severe structural damage to keel and damage to chine. The repair cost was 10,800. The price is 23k which is about 5k less than normal for this year imo. So I am thinking it would be fine, but wanted to get others opinions on it. I plan on wet slipping in freshwater so I will possibly bottom paint it anyway. Attached pic on the hull in the repair area. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 816424E1-63D1-4074-81FA-F7D7434C3DBB.jpeg
    816424E1-63D1-4074-81FA-F7D7434C3DBB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
Based on the picture, for 10k it was a shitty repair job! I wouldn't touch it!

This thread is almost a duplicate of yours.....different boat but the answers all apply.

So, this is literally the same boat as that thread… the JL audio and repair timeline gives it away. Seems like everyone is saying walk. I guess I am wondering what could happen that will come back to biteme if the repair wasn’t done correctly? Talking to a guy locally that does fiberglass repairs, he said if the repair is solid (no hollow sounds) then it should be good.

The boat is otherwise spotless given the year. There is some small corrosion on finishes from salt air/use in the Chesapeake.

Sometimes when things break, and are then repaired by an expert with a big budget and desire to do well, the repair is made so strong you know the repaired area with outlast everything else. It happens to me every once in a while... an a aluminium thread gives, repaired with thru bolt and nut behind it... you know the others will give before that one... Would be a shame to pass if that was the case, but I don't know enough to know if the repair has made the boat stronger or weaker. I'd say, Find out with an opinion from Fiberglass expert (inspecting the boat) that works for you, and act accordingly.

What you do know is that this was major structural damage, not cosmetic. There was water ingress into the boat. Who knows what was potentially affected? There is no way I would buy this boat to save $5K. I think if you buy this boat and ever decide to sell it, it will be a tough sell. My advice is spend the extra $5K, and get a boat that has never had this degree of damage and repair.

Jim

I wouldn’t buy it, especially since you know it was used in salt water, so who knows what could happen over time with the repair.

It’s like buying a used/newer car, would you rather save 5k on a prior salvage title or just spend the extra 5k knowing the vehicle didn’t have major structural repairs done and a clean title.

That looks like a really crappy repair job. It may float, but the finish work is pretty much the worst I have seen. If the finish looks that crappy, the structural work is probably crap too?

Looks like they finish it off with a couple rattle cans of black paint. For 10k, that is a shit job. Post who did the work, so we can all advise people not to go there!

Properly repaired, you should be able to shave in the reflection. :p

That looks like a really crappy repair job. It may float, but the finish work is pretty much the worst I have seen. If the finish looks that crappy, the structural work is probably crap too?

Looks like they finish it off with a couple rattle cans of black paint. For 10k, that is a shit job. Post who did the work, so we can all advise people not to go there!

Properly repaired, you should be able to shave in the reflection. :p

Flying Point Marina did the repair from what I understand. I actually called them to find out if they would provide some sort of guarantee/warranty. I am expecting a call from them on Monday.

At the end of the day I don’t care so much about looks as long as it is solid, especially since I am looking at bottom painting it anyway. But I agree that if the final finish is rough, what is the quality of their glass work?

I looked at this boat in NY multiple times and definitely considered it, the interior is the thing that holds me back, especially my wife. This one in MD has an immaculate interior and the jet pump/nozzle is spotless as well.

Interior is easy to replace. Unknown issues in a presumably half sunken boat presents new variables. As people mentioned in the other thread, this could have easily gotten water into places unknown. Just because it works now doesn't mean wires aren't corroded and ready to fail after a rough waves.

Boating season is over up north, with a ton of boats ready to come for sale in the next 3-4 months. Wait it out and find something better.

I see similar boats locally for the same price, and I feel we are a higher market here. You can and will do better.

You gotta get past the point it is a pretty boat.

This boat is being sold by a broker who knows nothing about the history of this boat. Re-read the two previous threads on this boat. The broker, in an earlier thread, didn't even know the boat had structural hull damage. It wasn't until another forum member pointed out the repair area, that they discovered the damage and repair. To the broker's credit, they have disclosed the damage and repair in the boat listing. HOWEVER, if the boat owner didn't disclose such a big issue to the broker, my guess is that they haven't disclosed anything else either. Could there be other problems, maybe or maybe not.

Unless the repair shop documented the damage and repair, with photos, how would you know that the fix was done correctly?

There is absolutely no way, based on the above, that I would buy this boat. There are a lot of other 192's on the market, listed around $30K. My thought is that you might be able to negotiate down the price a couple of thousand. If not, there are 190's on the market near the price you want to pay for this boat.

Jim

So many unknowns! And yes... because you are planning on painting the bottom, cosmetically, looks don't matter. But if the repairer was this sloppy on the finish work, how good could the work be you cant see! I wouldnt touch this boat for more than 15K, and then I would be hesitant! I think the concensus here is NO, but it's totally your decision! Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

I work for an organization that trains pilots in Cirrus aircraft and we have performed major structural repairs on several of our aircraft. One repair was a night XC that struck a deer on rotation. My mechs. that repaired the AC were factory trained in composite repair and we repaired using factory engineering orders. The repair was fairly complex and when the inlays/repairs were done we had data loggers that monitored critical parameters throughout the curing process (vacuum, temperature, humidity, pressure, time).
I would check with the marina to see if the techs used Yamaha authorized repair procedures and parts or recommended materials. With the advent of computers, there should be some sort of record of the repair. Boats and airplanes are apples and oranges but a repair done correctly can restore or exceed original strength. We had to document in detail the repair. I left the Mx side after 25 years to simulation a decade ago, but I flew this aircraft from MI to FL 4 years ago without hesitation. Definitively consider the advice above in your decision. Also realize that composite repairs get costly very quickly, and value takes a hit on resale. Looks like their are some minor filler issues and orange peel issues going on there. Here are a few pics of a damaged composite structure, and it was an 8point(170lb+) buck that had its antlers ripped off in the accident.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6160.jpg
    IMG_6160.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I agree with those saying its suspect because of the quality of the repair. A good fiberglass shop would have repaired that so that you would not have any clue there was previous damage, it would have looked brand new - also it would be just as or more structurally sound than before. Personally, seeing the finish work look like would give me enough pause about the quality of the structural work that I would for sure pass on this boat.

Back