• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cutting holes for new speakers

Haycor

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Picked up a 10” sub and 2 new 6.5” speakers to add to the helm area of my 212x. Anyone know how to cut clean holes that size in the fibreglass?
Thank you

The 6.5" are pretty simple with the right size holesaw. My JL MX650 speakers called for a 5¼" hole.

I used one of these to cut my midship speaker holes & it worked well.
Image of Makita Multi-tool Tm3010c-r Certified Refurbished

Used a hole saw too for the 6.5" speakers.
Used a Dewalt hole cutting tool for bigger holes (like 6x9s i installed in my 230)

This is a future project for me but I’m planning on a holesaw for the 6.5” mid cabins and a dremel circle cutter for the 10” sub.

If you do a holesaw of that size wear heavy gloves since there is a ton of torque. I had one grab a few years back working on my last boat and ended up in urgent care getting metal shavings dug out of my hand.

Years ago I added (2) 12” subs and ended using a smooth blade and a sawzall. The blade was the one you’d use to cut up a cast iron tub. It worked perfect! Good luck

Thanks all. I have a jog saw and will out a fine blade for them.

Thanks all. I have a jog saw and will out a fine blade for them.
Doing the same project this spring. Where you planning on adding the 6.5? I wish there was enough depth on our boats behind the black side panels to add them there but not having the boat and searching the forum looks like most on our size boats add them down low in the fiberglass.

Doing the same project this spring. Where you planning on adding the 6.5? I wish there was enough depth on our boats behind the black side panels to add them there but not having the boat and searching the forum looks like most on our size boats add them down low in the fiberglass.
I was going to put them by the driver and across but today I changed my mind. I am going replace all 6 Polk with clarion, the sum and amp I think it will be good. If I have to put the additional pair after I will.

I was going to put them by the driver and across but today I changed my mind. I am going replace all 6 Polk with clarion, the sum and amp I think it will be good. If I have to put the additional pair after I will.
I don’t think it matters what speakers you have if they aren’t pointed anywhere near your ears. Huge mistake by Yamaha to not include mid cabins.

Hmmm... won't you risk a lot of chipping with a jig saw? I think you'd have to choose blade carefully - fine, sharp teeth?
Planning to finally get around to adding a couple of speakers when the boat comes out of storage. I found a big enough hole saw set at Harbor Freight last year that seems to be unavailable now but I don't know what I'd do about a sub - that's a BIG hole!

I did the same at first. Added amp and replaced the 6 stock speakers then added second amp and wetsounds sound bar then third amp for sub. My issue and reason for adding mid mounts speakersby the helm this spring will hopefully be cherry on top. The problem is even with that set up as @AZMark pointed out if they don’t have a proximity to where your sitting....When under power I end up getting yelled at from the peanut gallery for the music being too loud because it’s quiet by the helm but loud behind my seat and in the bow.

Im Smack dap in the middle of a stereo upgrade/refresh. Replacing the stock DB651’s with MM652’s and they fit in the current holes but we also added 2 more in the cockpit.
We used a 5” hole saw with the area tapped up
And a shop vac going for the fiberglass and the hole saw was perfect! Absolute beautiful circle and the speakers slide right in.

I would highly suggest a hole saw for whatever speaker you use. Perfect circles. Just hold on to the drill nicely so you don’t break a wrist or get shards of fiberglass or metal shaving your hands like @AZMark!

Drill in reverse and use painters tape. This will cut down on rough edges and will reduce the chances of cracking or chipping the gel coat.

Make sure the speaker cover will conform to the spot you are going to place the speaker. Someone here put a sub in and the spot was a bit curved. They had to seal a gap between the cover and the boat.

Im Smack dap in the middle of a stereo upgrade/refresh. Replacing the stock DB651’s with MM652’s and they fit in the current holes but we also added 2 more in the cockpit.
We used a 5” hole saw with the area tapped up
And a shop vac going for the fiberglass and the hole saw was perfect! Absolute beautiful circle and the speakers slide right in.

I would highly suggest a hole saw for whatever speaker you use. Perfect circles. Just hold on to the drill nicely so you don’t break a wrist or get shards of fiberglass or metal shaving your hands like @AZMark!
Thanks. Do you have a sub? If so where do you put it?

Make sure the speaker cover will conform to the spot you are going to place the speaker. Someone here put a sub in and the spot was a bit curved. They had to seal a gap between the cover and the boat.

This is a very good point. While the 07-09 230 series boats had a nice, flat surface behind the captain's chair to mount a sub, many other models have a concave radius on the similar surface.

Back