• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer dealing

rms59

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
195 Open G
Boat Length
New here... About to order a new Yamaha AR250 from a dealer. I've never bought a new boat from a dealer but I have to ask... is there any dealing like you would a car dealer to get a little off the price? Or is the quote they give you pretty much it.

Hello and welcome!

The Yamahas usually used to go for MSRP. Now in the COVID world where all boats are in a shortage, we are seeing many go for over MSRP. Usually you are more successful at getting a dealer to throw in things (safety kit, 50% off accessories, etc.) than to get any money off the price. That doesn't, of course, mean you shouldn't ask... But I would not expect them to come in at $10k under MSRP or anything (as may be common with other boats or with a car/truck).

Unfortunately with the way things are right now if you don’t pay it someone else will. Was so much better a few years ago (pre COVID). People would give you better pricing than standard and/or throw in a premium mooring cover and other accessories and Yamaha would give free extended warranties. Times have changed drastically. Basically you have to pay up with tons of extra fees right now or the next person in line will. Or you can find a slightly used one with low hours like I did. Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies. The MSRP is 66,300 for boat and galvanized shoreline trailer. Then 4,500 for "freight and rigging" bringing it to 70,800. Add dealer prep, taxes, "coast guard package" and 1K down payment, the final price is 71,879

I also believe haggling isn't going to work because its been a few days and the dealer hasn't called me like a car dealer would. How does the price look? Ok? or should I run as fast as I can?

Thanks for the replies. The MSRP is 66,300 for boat and galvanized shoreline trailer. Then 4,500 for "freight and rigging" bringing it to 70,800. Add dealer prep, taxes, "coast guard package" and 1K down payment, the final price is 71,879

I also believe haggling isn't going to work because its been a few days and the dealer hasn't called me like a car dealer would. How does the price look? Ok? or should I run as fast as I can?

If your ok with the price and being potentially upside down in the boat for a while on price I would get it or if you continue to wait you will be like 5th in line for the same boat from them more than likely.

I've seen much worse deals of late...

Dealer prep will vary by model. No ballast...cheaper, same for stereo, idrive, drive, eseries. Get out with under 3k for shipping and setup and you did good.

Its a sellers market though, and many dealers are just saying....this is the price, take it or its the next person in line!

Last question. Just curious as to what an AR250 sold for a few years back.

Hm

Thanks. From what I see on J.D.Power a stock AR240 with galv trailor went for almost 60,000 without tax, dest, and other fees. I don't feel so bad now. The last boat I bought (Sunbird 195) was new in 1987 for $8400 Thanks again.... Im gonna put down a down payment this week.

Back