• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Did we damage an engine?

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So yesterday after running back to the ramp my wife dropped me at the dock and I went to get the truck. She sucked up a large branch at that point in one engine. It jammed the impeller hard. Do to the chaos around the ramp and that she was just at idle speed while I was getting the trailer she didn't hear any thing and the engine overheated and stalled. Happened quickly since the engine was hot from the run across the lake. She didn't try to restart it thankfully and we got it out on the trailer. After pulling the pump to get the branch out the motor started up and sounded fine.

Is there anything I should check further or do? Just run it next weekend and keep an eye on it?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do a close inspection of the impleller and wearing ring. Also the sealant around the wearing ring and intake grate. If you damaged the impeller or gouged the wearing ring your pump will cavitate next time out. Cavitation means you will have power to the pump but noticeable decrease in torque and thrust.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you will be fine. If you want some peace of mind you could run it on the hose. Engine on, water on, water off, engine off. Otherwise run it and keep an eye on it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is very unlikely that any harm was done. Just go back out and enjoy her.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I doubt you did damage. There are images on here of some pretty unreal things people have sucked up. The overheat was likely because the impeller couldn't effectively provide the thrust needed to supply the cooling system inlet strainer which is located past the impeller in the pump housing. As @BigN8 said I would inspect the pump housing for any gouges in the ring or missing sealant around the intake grate and in the pump tunnel. Also inspect the impeller for any dings or wedged pieces of the branch stuck in the blades.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So an update, apparently the heat from the engine melted holes in the water manifold tubing on the outlet.1497044569659472198727.jpg

Found out after putting it in and water was spraying in the engine compartment.

Going with a temporary fix for the weekend till I can get a replacement.

1497044688939110758924.jpg

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your temporary seems like an upgrade. Nice fix!
I know right. . . . . got me here thinking I need to add that to my MODLIST. ;)

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's definitely not going to melt, $26 in plumbing supplies and we should get back on the water. Also found out at some point in the last 2 outings my bilge pump stopped working. So thats on my list now to check tonight

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great fix, I don't think we've ever seen anyone melt that before,
Be sure to check your scupper,

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I recommend you change the oil in that engine and keep a close eye on the temps using a infrared gun. I have ended up with a engine with little or no cooling water a number of times but have never had an exhaust manifold get that hot. To me, that is an anomaly that none of us has experienced before.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
'No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...'

:)

Seriously, very nice fix/upgrade. I wouldn't go back to OEM on that one either.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Per @buckbuck 's comment, I don't recall anyone ever experiencing that failure mode. I am concerned that your engine didn't go into overheat protect mode... that should have happened well before damaging (let alone destroying) the manifold.

I am sure someone with more knowledge in this area could give you specifics, but I would hunt down and verify the overheat sensor(s) on that engine are working.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So today I ran the boat after putting those parts in everything seemed great but as I was testing it I noticed when that engine gets up over 8k rpms it is cavitating, you don't notice it really with both engines running but just throttling that one up you do. I pulled the pump and it does look like I have some scratches from where the tree limb spun in there. I didn't notice them really the first time I pulled it apart and hadn't run it hard enough to notice it. I am guessing that is the cause.

How hard is it to change that ring and where is the best place to get a replacement?

Gonna pull it back to the house this week instead of leaving it at the lake and try to fix it and also replace the bilge pump and check the scupper more. The bilge pump clicks on when you flip the switch but doesn't pump water ever all of a sudden.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you lose any top speed? Do you feel/see the cavitation (RPM) on just that engine when launching with both engines?

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you lose any top speed? Do you feel/see the cavitation (RPM) on just that engine when launching with both engines?
I don't feel it on both engines when launching, only if I am at idle on the one and throttle up that side. If I push both up over 8k rpms you see it on the tach and feel it. But I don't really notice the loss of speed. I need to test a little more.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Everyone offers great advice here. For what it's worth, if I were in your shoes, I would fix the bilge pump as you plan and not worry about the pump cavitation. Keep having fun with it through the summer unless something else changes. You can pull the pump and take a closer look over the winter.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gonna pull it back to the house this week instead of leaving it at the lake and try to fix it and also replace the bilge pump and check the scupper more. The bilge pump clicks on when you flip the switch but doesn't pump water ever all of a sudden.[/QUOTE]

Is the bilge line clear? I know mud dubbers can build mud nests in any opening.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20170611_175208.jpg 20170611_175141.jpg

So would this level of scratches in the wear ring cause the cavitating?