• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dirty Yamaha cover... best way to clean it?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Yamaha #cover is dirty and seems to be developing mildew type stains on it. What is a good way to get it as clean as possible without damaging the cover? Will I need to re-treat it with #waterproofing after I clean it?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know if this is the best way or not, but it's what I just did. I bought some Star Brite Mildew Stain Remover from Academy Sports. They had the best price. I sprayed it on for a couple mildew spots I had. Stuff works GREAT. Spray on, let sit briefly, then just hose off.

Let it dry for a day. Then yesterday I sprayed the 303 Fabric Guard to water proof it. I sprayed water on it today to test it and beeded right off better than new.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it true that you are supposed to treat the cover on the inside surface rather than the outside?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you're referring treating for the mildew, I sprayed it on the outside where the stains were. Guess it's possible it would be on both sides.

But if you're referring to the 303 Fabric Guard, no, it should be on the outside. That is where it is going to repell the water before it even touches the cover. And 303 is breathable and meant for boat covers. If you go with the 303, I would recommend Amazon.com. They had the best prices. I used almost a whole gallon for my boat cover.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
303 is an awesome product I use it on the trucks and the boat

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Living in the mold capital, I constantly have to clean covers that are moldy. The problem with mold is that it is a living organism so you have to kill it in order to get rid of it. Scrubbing and light duty mold cleansers don't really do the job in my experience. I use bleach, either Clorox bleach or liquid swimming pool chlorine. Fill up a garbage can large enough to fit your cover in and add a gallon or more of bleach. Then add the cover to the can and agitate every 15 minutes-- I have had to soak some covers overnight, it all depends on how bad the mold is and how much bleach is in your can. After a while you will see the mold changing color and disappearing. Make sure to agitate and fully turn the cover around to view all surface areas. When you are happy with the looks empty the water and refill with clean water. Do this two times while agitating to get all chlorine out of the fabric. DISCLAIMER: Using bleach/chlorine can damage your covers stitching overtime. My experience is that the covers start breaking down at the same speed weather you bleach or not.

steined

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I lost a sunbrella cover to stitching coming undone after bleaching the cover for 5 years, the cover was 10 years old and still in good shape, but the bleach killed the stitching. Canvass shop charged $150 to re-stitch.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took mine to a self-carwash. Spray it down, use which every mixture you want. So many mixtures out there, most will work. Scrub and power spray off. Let dry in sun.
Use which your choice of water resistant spray on cover.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My winter cover is just a big tarp so before I remove it in the spring I drape my summer cover over it and pull it tight with the trailer ties. That way I have a taught, wrinkle free cover to wash. I start with the cover inside out. I mix a 2 gallon bucket of water with 1 quart of bleach. I use my boat brush to brush the cover then rinse and let dry. If any dirt or mold is still there I will spot treat and rinse and let dry again. Then I flip the cover over, and do the same procedure. When the outside is done and dry I water proof and let dry. The tarp under the cover prevents any bleach/water mix or water proofer from getting on or in the boat.

Bousbous55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had good luck with washing the yamaha premium cover in the washing machine on gentle cycle, I have already done it twice. Makes it look brand new and it smells good too. I wouldn't recommend it if your cover is about to fall apart.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Murf n surf..........mold capital, I like it :D

I know exactly what you mean.
That begs the question: Is there such a place as The Non Mold Capital? And if so..how do I get there?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That begs the question: Is there such a place as The Non Mold Capital? And if so..how do I get there?
I think that might be one of the poles.....a bit chilly for boating!

I've used a light bleach solution too, then bought a gallon of waterproofing from Bass Pro and sprayed it on. Worked great.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think its called Arizona...

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm not sure Florida would beat the NW for mold. Its not an honor we want to win, but it is our world: Wet all the time, lots of trees and shade not a lot of freezing at sea level.
When most people hear about 40 day and 40 nights of rain they think of an epic biblical story. For us it is simply 1/3 of spring..... or fall.... or 1/2 of winter.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is all good info. I checked on our boat the other day and noticed a good amount of mold on the inside of the cover. I will try and remember to take some before and after pictures for this thread.

Thanks guys!